Would Farrell or Edwards make the grade

In league we have great coaches

I see Farrell has now gone to Ireland

I personally doubt he would now succeed in league

Answer to the question is yes. They've both probably forgotten more over today's lunch than you'll ever know about the game. Why troll about 2 of the sport's best ever players?

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Farrell has moved on from the stepping stone that was RL.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Given their backgrounds and experiences they would both be a success in some capacity if they did return. I think Edwards would be more likely to be a success as a Head coach. He is probably the one I'd most like to see return to league.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

I don't think we'll ever see either of them back in our game but if we did im sure that both of them, given time, would have a degree of success. I don't know why but I'd be more inclined to welcome Edwards back into the fold than Farrell, I think he could provide a greater amount of passion and motivation to a team.

It would take an amazing deal to tempt them away from their current habitat though.

Why would they make good RL Coaches when they`ve learned all of their craft in the Yawnion code.

They learned most of their craft at League and transferred it to union...now both have a great knowledge of both codes ,

The game has moved on greatly in the last decade. They won't be aware of current tactics, techniques, coaching styles, etc. It's not something you are just "good at" or being a good player makes you a good one. Coaching any sport takes a long time to master.

If anyone was to hire either of them, I guarantee they'd be sacked before their contract expires.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

The game has moved on greatly in the last decade. They won't be aware of current tactics, techniques, coaching styles, etc. It's not something you are just "good at" or being a good player makes you a good one. Coaching any sport takes a long time to master.

If anyone was to hire either of them, I guarantee they'd be sacked before their contract expires.

This!

The reason they were successful in Union initially is because of the superior coaching skills they picked up in league. They have been out of league for so long now they have fallen behind on league coaching. Of course this is IMHO. :tongue:  :tongue:

Both have shown them selves as good leaders in Union and both obviously have a great background in League. I'm sure both watch League avidly, and thus wouldn't take them long in a shadowing capacity at a club to get back up to speed.

When Edwards missed out on a coaching role (to Farrell) on the last RU Lions tour, he admitted considering quiting Union with a view to joining a NRL team in an asst capacity.

This autumn, with Macca stalling over a new England contract and Edwards the last of the Wales RU coaching team to sign a new contract, I was interested in the possibility that Edwards might be looking at the England League job. Would have been a fantastic coup for League's profile following Burgess' return. Obviously a steep learning curve, but with a NRL post and a good England assistant could have worked to my mind. Edwards has signed a new Wales contract now.

Problem will always be attracting a full-time England coach from interntional Union is that they have at least 11 games a year whilst League has 3, although a part-time role a la Macca or Stephen Kearney could work.

Anyone heard any rumors about whether Macca will continue? All gone very quiet unless I missed something. If he does go, can't see anyone other than Daryl Powell getting it on a part-time basis. Our game is too partisan for McDermott or Wane. Will be an uphill struggle for anyone else to implement their structures with maybe 1 if any warm up before the 4 Nations, especially as Oz and NZ are playing each other right before.

Both have shown them selves as good leaders in Union and both obviously have a great background in League. I'm sure both watch League avidly, and thus wouldn't take them long in a shadowing capacity at a club to get back up to speed.

When Edwards missed out on a coaching role (to Farrell) on the last RU Lions tour, he admitted considering quiting Union with a view to joining a NRL team in an asst capacity.

This autumn, with Macca stalling over a new England contract and Edwards the last of the Wales RU coaching team to sign a new contract, I was interested in the possibility that Edwards might be looking at the England League job. Would have been a fantastic coup for League's profile following Burgess' return. Obviously a steep learning curve, but with a NRL post and a good England assistant could have worked to my mind. Edwards has signed a new Wales contract now.

Problem will always be attracting a full-time England coach from interntional Union is that they have at least 11 games a year whilst League has 3, although a part-time role a la Macca or Stephen Kearney could work.

Anyone heard any rumors about whether Macca will continue? All gone very quiet unless I missed something. If he does go, can't see anyone other than Daryl Powell getting it on a part-time basis. Our game is too partisan for McDermott or Wane. Will be an uphill struggle for anyone else to implement their structures with maybe 1 if any warm up before the 4 Nations, especially as Oz and NZ are playing each other right before.

Which NRL team was looking at taking him on as an Assistant Coach?

They bring most through their own system other than Macca.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I would put money on Edwards succeeding if he came back. Which is not impossible by any means (did I mention I played on the same team as him a couple of times as a schoolboy?). I doubt we would see Farrell back, and I would be astonished if he succeeded. Edwards has always been a student of the game, would be humble enough to learn as he went, and brings such a drive and intensity to everything he does that he would soon get himself up to speed. He has a dignity about him, and a respect for our game not evident in Farrell's recent dealings with us.

We are often hard on ourselves when looking at players we have lost to the dark side, but we shouldn't ignore the former players that have made a career in RL after retirement:

Brian McDermott

Darryl Powell

Iestyn Harris

Sean Long

Lee Briers

Steve McNamara

James Lowes

Paul Wellens

Karl Fitzpatrick

Brian Carney

Terry O'Connor

Barrie McDermott

Mark Aston

Paul Cullen

The late Mike Gregory

Paul Anderson

and loads loads more.

On the actual question, Edwards may do a decent job, he has shown himself to be a good manager, and as EW points out, he does seem to still have a lot of respect for RL - but tbh, I don't see any reason why we would go and court either of them.

Allora, he stated it was something he thought of doing, but didn't sound like it got much further than him thinking it. NRL has so many different coaches that I am sure he could find one, even if it was relatively junior. I'm sure Waney would bring him up to speed at Wigan too, but the chance has past for now

Not sure which NRL clubs he may have referred to, but he has spent a bit of time with Wayne Bennett over the years, though not in any official capacity. Purely off his own back to learn more as a coach.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Totally agree

Archived