LEIGH 24 LEEDS 7

Trojan

Fantastic,truly wonderful.

When was the last time a SL club, any SL club attracted 25K for a league game.  Leeds used to be the best supported Rugby club (either code) in the UK, but not any more.  Union crowds have been growing since they went honest, and especially since 2003.  Playing in the winter. There are so many other things to do in the summer.  Cut the grass, go to the coast, go on holiday, have a barby, go to the cricket, watch the soccer Word cup every fourth year, same for the Olympics, and soccer Euro championships.  On a winter afternoon in January choice is a little limited. 

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was the last time a SL club, any SL club attracted 25K for a league game.  Leeds used to be the best supported Rugby club (either code) in the UK, but not any more.  Union crowds have been growing since they went honest, and especially since 2003.  Playing in the winter. There are so many other things to do in the summer.  Cut the grass, go to the coast, go on holiday, have a barby, go to the cricket, watch the soccer Word cup every fourth year, same for the Olympics, and soccer Euro championships.  On a winter afternoon in January choice is a little limited. 

Aye,beer were tuppence a gallon you could go t'flicks, have a slap up nosh,get absolutely kaylied and still have change out of a farthing.Aye,good old days.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

I was at that game. Murphy was what he always was, a superb player but a cynical, cheating conman. For that reason alone he should not be on that plinth. Should have been sent off and banned many times more than he was, but refs usually bottled it.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Aye,beer were tuppence a gallon you could go t'flicks, have a slap up nosh,get absolutely kaylied and still have change out of a farthing.Aye,good old days.

http://rugby.statbunker.com/competitions/HomeAttendance?comp_id=436

SL 2014 figures

The attendance figures for each club in the 2014 regular season (2013 in brackets):

Bradford Bulls: 6,891 (8,575)

Castleford Tigers: 7,068 (6,292)

Catalan Dragons: 7,667 (8,179)

Huddersfield Giants: 6,335 (6,374)

Hull FC: 11,159 (11,680)

Hull Kingston Rovers: 7,848 (7,495)

Leeds Rhinos: 15,068 (15,200)

London Broncos: 1,295 (2,200)

Salford Red Devils: 4,738 (3,178)

St Helens: 12,120 (11,235)

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats: 4,351 (7,973)

Warrington Wolves: 9,870 (10,633)

Widnes Vikings: 5,635 (6,015)

Wigan Warriors: 14,102 (14,545)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Well done,have a gold star.

I'm certainly no Union fan, but I wonder why we went to summer, and what good it has done our sport. Soccer thrives in winter, Union has grown its crowds in winter.  We appear to have shrunk ours by playing in summer.

Clement Attlee.

I'm certainly no Union fan, but I wonder why we went to summer, and what good it has done our sport. Soccer thrives in winter, Union has grown its crowds in winter.  We appear to have shrunk ours by playing in summer.

Why the need to compare ourselves with Yawnion crowds, it`s irrelevant IMO.

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

It certainly hasn't diminished. I'm sure crowds were smaller for Leeds before the summer switch.That's my recollection anyway.

Clearly what your saying is correct but i do sometimes wonder what crowds might be if the sport was still a winter sport but with the money it gets from television

Syd Hynes was back in Leeds recently at the Leeds former players dinner ,when asked if he really hit Murphy or was Murphy conning? He said ' if I had hit him he wouldn't have got back up on his feet'

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Syd Hynes was back in Leeds recently at the Leeds former players dinner ,when asked if he really hit Murphy or was Murphy conning? He said ' if I had hit him he wouldn't have got back up on his feet'

He wasn`t going to say yes was he! Leeds got beat get over it Yarkshire and thanks to Helen of Troy for bringing back a game from nearly 45 years ago. ;) Concentrate on the DR with Leeds.

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

He wasn`t going to say yes was he! Leeds got beat get over it Yarkshire and thanks to Helen of Troy for bringing back a game from nearly 45 years ago. ;) Concentrate on the DR with Leeds.

i don't have to get over anything I was only quoting Hynes and less of the silly Yarkshire thing Too I didn't call you a small town hick

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

You just did Dumpty now jog on you Big City goon.

As I posted at the start of this thread |'m not a Leeds fan. Indeed in 1971 I was virulently anti Leeds.  I hated them.  I was glad they lost, and the following year when they also lost to Saints. But watching it again, Murphy really took the ######, he adopted the self same tactics for Wire against what at the time was a dominant Fev team in 1974 at Wembley.  The Leigh game was a terrible game full of penalties and drop goals, just what we complain about with Union today.  And Murphy really shouldn't be on that plinth should he?

Clement Attlee.

There are so many other things to do in the summer.  Cut the grass, go to the coast, go on holiday, have a barby, go to the cricket, watch the soccer Word cup every fourth year, same for the Olympics, and soccer Euro championships.  On a winter afternoon in January choice is a little limited.

This type of comment really winds me up.

Are you an RL supportet or a part timer or someone who justs like to moan?

Cut the grass my ar$e - there are 7 days in a week, at least where I live, and unless you live at Castle Howard, Wembley or the Colleges of Oxford then you can cut your grass any day of the week. One hour tops, so why do it when your team is playing.

Go to the Coast - if your team has Friday night home games, do you say to your spouse at 6pm on Friday evening 'how dare they play a home match on a Friday night when I want to whisk you off to Filey for a fish supper'. Same on a weekend. If your team plays on a sunday, then go to Filey on a saturday.

Go on holiday - fair enough, but unless you are Princess Eugenie in disguise and on holiday twice a week, once for 3 days and then for 4 days, you will probably only be away for a fortnight and miss 2 homes maximum.

Have a barby - is it beyond your whit to organise a bbq on a Saturday evening if your team is playing Sunday or vice versa.

Go to the cricket - Again how often is cricket played at 8pm on a Friday night? How often does going to watch cricket clash with your teams game on a weekend. This response does not apply to all followers of Gods Own Country, most excellent, nay absolute majestic White Rose wonders who should follow the White Rose everywhere.

Soccer WC, Euro Championships - if you would rather watch the overpaid, frankly shiite prima donnas - apologies to all prima donnas and dollops of shiite - footballers that represent England getting Ko'd by a Benidorm Waiters All Star XI and being back home before their postcards then drowning their sorrows in a strip club then gawd help you.

Olympics - 2 weeks in every four weeks. The key events mainly have their finals in the second week so you miss one game. Whoppeeee ##### do!

So come on 'Are you a man, or mouse?' .... i'll fetch the cheese.

It certainly hasn't diminished. I'm sure crowds were smaller for Leeds before the summer switch.That's my recollection anyway.

2,500 smaller...... Wigan 600 smaller......Widnes 2,000 smaller......Saints 4.000 smaller.....

Wire 4,000 smaller......Wakey 500 smaller.......Cas 2,000 smaller......Salford 500 smaller etc....

Featherstone 1,700 bigger

Clearly what your saying is correct but i do sometimes wonder what crowds might be if the sport was still a winter sport but with the money it gets from television

Not that black and white we have always played February, March and April.....

I do think we get a dip in the summer holidays and I do think we got dips in the bad winter weather.

I also think the dry grounds help the spectacle massively

On balance I think a return to winter could kill it - Imagine the sodden pitches over the last several weeks.

Winter rugby was awful

The only thing we can take from RU crowds rising is a sport flush with cash from international competition and benefiting from massive ott media coverage will pull crowds in no matter how dreary the faire or weather

the switch to summer was the best thing RL ever did

I was at Wembley on that day and in front of the sending off and was convinced on the day and all around thought so too. that Syd did not connect with Alex. I was also at the 1974 final which was an embarrassment in the way Murphy controlled the game and the referee, that all said he was only exploiting the weaknesses available to him.

As for winter RL. it's dead in the water, winter RL is a miserable affair.

This type of comment really winds me up.

Are you an RL supportet or a part timer or someone who justs like to moan?

Cut the grass my #### - there are 7 days in a week, at least where I live, and unless you live at Castle Howard, Wembley or the Colleges of Oxford then you can cut your grass any day of the week. One hour tops, so why do it when your team is playing.

Go to the Coast - if your team has Friday night home games, do you say to your spouse at 6pm on Friday evening 'how dare they play a home match on a Friday night when I want to whisk you off to Filey for a fish supper'. Same on a weekend. If your team plays on a sunday, then go to Filey on a saturday.

Go on holiday - fair enough, but unless you are Princess Eugenie in disguise and on holiday twice a week, once for 3 days and then for 4 days, you will probably only be away for a fortnight and miss 2 homes maximum.

Have a barby - is it beyond your whit to organise a bbq on a Saturday evening if your team is playing Sunday or vice versa.

Go to the cricket - Again how often is cricket played at 8pm on a Friday night? How often does going to watch cricket clash with your teams game on a weekend. This response does not apply to all followers of Gods Own Country, most excellent, nay absolute majestic White Rose wonders who should follow the White Rose everywhere.

Soccer WC, Euro Championships - if you would rather watch the overpaid, frankly shiite prima donnas - apologies to all prima donnas and dollops of shiite - footballers that represent England getting Ko'd by a Benidorm Waiters All Star XI and being back home before their postcards then drowning their sorrows in a strip club then gawd help you.

Olympics - 2 weeks in every four weeks. The key events mainly have their finals in the second week so you miss one game. Whoppeeee ##### do!

So come on 'Are you a man, or mouse?' .... i'll fetch the cheese.

But the things I listed are not there in the winter.  I go to as many Fev games as I can in the summer, but I also go on holiday, and cut the grass (on a weekend) plus there's always my daughter and grandchildren who live in Salisbury, I love Fev but I love them more.  There are loads of distractions in the summer and less in winter.  The proof of the pudding is in the eating.  Look how Union, playing a very similar game to us have grown their crowds playing in winter.  Plus of course if we played in our winter, there'd no longer be a difficulty for touring teams to come here.

Clement Attlee.

I`d hazard a guess at a lot lower if we`d have remained a winter sport.

How do crowds February to May compare with June to August? In more than one season crowds in February and March have looked very promising for the season as a whole, but that promise has not always delivered as the season progresses. In the summer there is usually less competition for spectators but then again there is typically a major international football tournament on during the summer every two years.

Archived