Derek Beaumont

haskey

The system needs a team to go up this season and we are in a great position to give it a real go, as we all know injuries will pay a huge role in the final standings but Derek has given us the squad to do it. We look very handy in the pack and have introduced Chase and Tonga into the backs. We have culled the large squad we entered last season with introducing two reserves to the squad and loaning out the more promising kids to get first team experience whilst operating FT with us. I fancy us to be better than at least 2 SL clubs should we enter the 8's healthy this year - win all league games, No. We know what happened last year and have reacted.

The system is doing exactly what it wants to do........make the end of the season more interesting for the majority without threatening any Super League clubs unless they are so poor they manage to drop out.

With the gap between leagues (in quality and finance) so big I think last season was anyone's best chance of actually going up..........Leigh (and the rest) will all be waiting for another lame duck now.

Leigh will clearly be the best side outside SL this year but no matter how good you are it's hard to go up a few gears after cruising all year........2015 proved this.

Wakefield were horrendous in 2015 and still kept their place........i just can't see any SL side being that poor this year.

I still much prefer this system though even if no one ever goes up.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon Beaumonts comments are more a not so subtle reminder to his team that last year wasn't good enough.  I think he's intimated before that he won't keep throwing money in forever.

I guess he's hoping they get up before his wallets empty...........once you're up you can happily chug along on the Central funding SL sides get..........but until then i guess it'll be pretty expensive gamble for him.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

The question Phil is everything above board??, and for that Sparrow to say they will win automatic promotion he is talking out of his ars====. You just need to look at the middle 8s and see what happened last year . The bottom 4 are still likely to be better than Leigh ? despite what Beaumont says as even his cocky coach admits that most teams have increased their playing strengths and are not as likely to roll over as in 2015.

Well last year was last year & this year is a new year. I still don't think it was particularly a lack of quality that caused our collapse in the Qualifiers, more a lack of experience & knowing how to dust ourselves down & get over defeat, hopefully that lesson has been learnt. As I said though I don't think it's possible to make any sort of prediction about what's going to happen in 8 months time before a competitive game has even been played. Yes lots of clubs have strengthened but I'm not sure anyone in any league has strengthened more than us. It's going to be a very interesting season and I'm looking forward to it.

The system needs a team to go up this season and we are in a great position to give it a real go, as we all know injuries will pay a huge role in the final standings but Derek has given us the squad to do it. We look very handy in the pack and have introduced Chase and Tonga into the backs. We have culled the large squad we entered last season with introducing two reserves to the squad and loaning out the more promising kids to get first team experience whilst operating FT with us. I fancy us to be better than at least 2 SL clubs should we enter the 8's healthy this year - win all league games, No. We know what happened last year and have reacted.

It does need someone to go up (only if they're good enough though, no more watering down the league like under franchising). There must be people like Derek with very successful businesses and an interest in their local rugby team. Hopefully if we're successful it'll convince someone in Halifax, Sheffield, someone who grew up watching Featherstone win trophies in the 70's & early 80's to think "Well if Derek can do it at Leigh, why can't I do it at........?"

You can't knock Beaumont. The door is open to sl, although only slightly for championship clubs. The only way anyone is going to get promoted from the Championship is by splashing the cash, they have certainly done that and have an immense squad for championship rugby, it will be hard to keep such high profile players motivated at this level,and will rarely need to get into top gear in the league campaign, but they have the players in position to give them the best chance possible of winning promotion come the super 8s. Yes it's a financial gamble, but you've got to be in it to win it.

Which heavyweight is responsible for this quote today?

"I am cut more from the cloth of the Conor McGregor-type, who says it as he sees it then goes out and backs it up."

A Tyson Fury

B Wladimir Klitschko

C Derek Beaumont

the clue's in the thread title...

I wonder if todays thrashing of his super stars by Warrington has given him food for thought with his headlong attempt to get into the Holy Grail of SL.????

I wonder if todays thrashing of his super stars by Warrington has given him food for thought with his headlong attempt to get into the Holy Grail of SL.????

i think 4 or 5 of his superstars didn't play today

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Just looking at their team from yesterday. I would say that it looked a strong team on paper with only a few superstars missing.

Just looking at their team from yesterday. I would say that it looked a strong team on paper with only a few superstars missing.

Strong team at this level but they are no longer riding the crest of the wave when they played SL teams in the regular season and are on the back of form from the qualifiers where it showed they are actually a long way off been anywhere near SL level. Those missing players could bridge that gap though but they will still be a long way ahead of the teams in this division.

Warrington V Leigh was a good arm wrestle for 18 minutes, Leigh scored first then Wire hit back with a well worked double.

Unfortunately Worthington & McNally were carried off in some distress after a collision which led to Wire's 3rd try, that meant a complete re-shuffle. After that it was one way traffic, Warrington kept running at our edges which with their back line was way too much for us.

I think if we had Chase, Maitua,,Tonga, Beswick, Hansen, Brierley (20 minute spell) playing it would have been a lot tighter but credit to Warrington Gidley & Sandow looked to have a real good understanding.

Send another letter into the League Express explaining your delight at how Leigh lost a friendly game and you had a premature accident in the groin area. ;)

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

Warrington seem to be having a really good off season - think they did a job on Widnes the previous week and their new signings seem to have slotted straight in and gelled pretty quickly

I fancy them to upset Leeds in the first game of season

A Big name lined up?? Seems very late in the day to be looking for a new coach with a high profile

Massive blow for them, even with an apparent tightly knit coaching setup

Will they play the same free flowing off the cuff style next season? We will hsve to wait and see

Archived