Leeds Rhinos Stadium Development

Whilst I'm delighted (and a little jealous) that a well run club is improving it's offering - does it really need to be so dull?

Those stands don't say Headingley - they say indeterminate sports ground.

Obviously I'd rather this than nothing, but a bit of an architectural flourish wouldn't  take a lot.

you have to realise it's only the first artist impression ,there will be more before it gets off the ground and when it's built I'm sure there will be lots of reminders of the recent golden era on show from the new stands

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I'm delighted (and a little jealous) that a well run club is improving it's offering - does it really need to be so dull?

Obviously I'd rather this than nothing, but a bit of an architectural flourish wouldn't  take a lot.

It's a bit difficult do with individual stands and particularly with the space restrictions that Headingley operates within. Much easier if building a new stadium from scratch

Great news.

Funnily enough, once the capacity goes down to 13000 that will presumably force a lot of Leeds fans out onto the Western Terrace. Will be interesting to see if any views change.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Great news.

Funnily enough, once the capacity goes down to 13000 that will presumably force a lot of Leeds fans out onto the Western Terrace. Will be interesting to see if any views change.

Which views are those. Could it be the explanation as to why the western terrace can't be covered.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Which views are those. Could it be the explanation as to why the western terrace can't be covered.

I might be in the minority but I always enjoy standing on the western terrace, weather permitting, like Castleford sometimes it's great to stand it creates a better atmosphere, Modern stadium look nice but there not all there cracked up to be.

Give over. That media centre at the cricket ground is the ugliest and least appropriate pavillion in the whole of cricket.

It makes Bradford Bus Station look like the Palace of Versailles.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Give over. That media centre at the cricket ground is the ugliest and least appropriate pavillion in the whole of cricket.

It makes Bradford Bus Station look like the Palace of Versailles.

thats a complaint you must make to YCC and the planning committee at LCC the same ones that rejected the last application for the south stand

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Good to see any RL club make ground improvements. Leeds badly need it, as much as I'd like to see them in League 1 I do think that if they'd been blessed with a ground like Hudds then they'd be a 20k crowd club.

I do think it all looks a bit messy though due to the space restrictions. I wonder if they've ever thought of flipping the pitch 90o and having an open end behind one goal but three other really good modern stands?! Just a thought!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Good to see any RL club make ground improvements. Leeds badly need it, as much as I'd like to see them in League 1 I do think that if they'd been blessed with a ground like Hudds then they'd be a 20k crowd club.

I do think it all looks a bit messy though due to the space restrictions. I wonder if they've ever thought of flipping the pitch 90o and having an open end behind one goal but three other really good modern stands?! Just a thought!

well They are going to have a smaller capacity North stand because of the large build cricket stand ,I would have thought they could have move the pitch forward towards the South stand a few metres and build the new Southstand further back .there is plenty of room in the old car park.

JAMIE PEACOCK

They are selling Land they own in Weetwood and Tingley for building new houses.I wonder how long they have owned this land and why they aqcuired it? Could this land really belong to the Caddick company? Just another thought

JAMIE PEACOCK

So still no thought to their fellow RL supporters

Shame on the club

It will still be the worst away supporters stand in the league! (And the championship)!!!

I still can't believe they cant just sell the stadium to the cricket club/council and build a nice big new stadium in a part of the city with better transport links, bars and all round better match day entertainment!

Cheers...how did leeds get the eastern terrace/carneige stand built then? Cos theres houses opposite that stand...just like the western terrace

At the back of the western terrace is a four foot wide path. On the other side of the path are people's gardens.

Far less room than the east side.

You would hope so but then again.

Leeds have claimed it is fully covered. What we don't know of course is the excess and that may be quite considerable.

It's a lot more than just a training ground. Most of the staff are based there so offices and class rooms lost too.

So still no thought to their fellow RL supporters

Shame on the club

It will still be the worst away supporters stand in the league! (And the championship)!!!

howmany more time sdo you need telling ? They can't develop end because of the houses and even if they bought the houses they still wouldn't get planning permission.Although The Sleeve state in the recent book TREBLE 'There will also be major improvements to the Western terrace' so watch that space and the away fans don't really have to stand at that end,there is plenty of room in the other areas

JAMIE PEACOCK

They are selling Land they own in Weetwood and Tingley for building new houses.I wonder how long they have owned this land and why they aqcuired it? Could this land really belong to the Caddick company? Just another thought

That was my thought too but I bet he transferred it to the club to get it through planning as otherwise he would have no chance

I still can't believe they cant just sell the stadium to the cricket club/council and build a nice big new stadium in a part of the city with better transport links, bars and all round better match day entertainment!

Selling Headingley is unthinkable to management and fans. Apart from its incalculable cultural and emotional significance to our sport (way more than any of the other grounds we have lost, even Pie Park), Leeds have already invested £12m in improvements to it over the past decade or so and would never recoup that cash from a sale.

Many other clubs moved because their grounds were falling down and/or they couldn't make money there because there were no proper corporate facilities. This doesn't apply to Leeds - these proposed improvements are to enhance what is already by far the biggest income generating property in British Rugby League.

As for better transport links, I don't think any other stadium in Super League has two stations so close to it - there is one pretty much at the end of the road, how much closer do you need! I have no idea what "better bars" means; Headingley stadium has no lack of them and Headingley itself has seemingly dozens of them.

Leeds are fortunate that YCCC are able to share the burden of building many of the shared facilities, especially the corporate stuff which they both fill (although Leeds much more often) and which they both need. The cricket club are nearly bankrupt though; their benefactors may stump up the cash but their ability to fund this, alongside whether Leeds City Council will give it planning permission, are the main doubts I have about whether the whole project will come to pass. There have been plenty of false promises and nice artists' impressions in the past - from the 1988 north stand rebuild to the 1995 four new stands project to the new all-standing south stand which actually got planning permission a couple of years ago. Let's wait and see although this one seems to be more definite than those and has a key deadline of 2019 for the cricket world cup.

My main takeaway from this is how much money Leeds RLFC are able to generate. Whereas most other clubs have either sold their stadium to fund a new one, or had a new stadium built for them, Leeds will end up spending around £25m out of their own funds to rebuild their existing ground. It's unprecedented and reflects on just how wisely Hetherington has built the business up over the past 20 years.

Leeds have claimed it is fully covered. What we don't know of course is the excess and that may be quite considerable.

It's a lot more than just a training ground. Most of the staff are based there so offices and class rooms lost too.

Your last paragraph is almost correct. The offices and classrooms are on the second floor, so the only damage too them is the lack of electricity.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Selling Headingley is unthinkable to management and fans. Apart from its incalculable cultural and emotional significance to our sport (way more than any of the other grounds we have lost, even Pie Park), Leeds have already invested £12m in improvements to it over the past decade or so and would never recoup that cash from a sale.

Many other clubs moved because their grounds were falling down and/or they couldn't make money there because there were no proper corporate facilities. This doesn't apply to Leeds - these proposed improvements are to enhance what is already by far the biggest income generating property in British Rugby League.

As for better transport links, I don't think any other stadium in Super League has two stations so close to it - there is one pretty much at the end of the road, how much closer do you need! I have no idea what "better bars" means; Headingley stadium has no lack of them and Headingley itself has seemingly dozens of them.

Leeds are fortunate that YCCC are able to share the burden of building many of the shared facilities, especially the corporate stuff which they both fill (although Leeds much more often) and which they both need. The cricket club are nearly bankrupt though; their benefactors may stump up the cash but their ability to fund this, alongside whether Leeds City Council will give it planning permission, are the main doubts I have about whether the whole project will come to pass. There have been plenty of false promises and nice artists' impressions in the past - from the 1988 north stand rebuild to the 1995 four new stands project to the new all-standing south stand which actually got planning permission a couple of years ago. Let's wait and see although this one seems to be more definite than those and has a key deadline of 2019 for the cricket world cup.

My main takeaway from this is how much money Leeds RLFC are able to generate. Whereas most other clubs have either sold their stadium to fund a new one, or had a new stadium built for them, Leeds will end up spending around £25m out of their own funds to rebuild their existing ground. It's unprecedented and reflects on just how wisely Hetherington has built the business up over the past 20 years.

very well said

JAMIE PEACOCK

It's good to hear about positive news about a club's plans to strengthen its infrastructure,provide better facilities and increase the opportunities to generate income.

It's heartening to see the unanimous positive reaction to this.  :shout:

I enjoy my trips to Headingley. The shuttle from the railway station would make visits even easier for me.  B)

Interesting to see on Facebook there is now a campaign to keep the south stand all standing.

The counter argument is that Hetherington has stated that the number of standing places will actually be greater than the number of south stand ticket holders.

Is this being disingenuous?

I go to watch leeds regularly but because it's a 200 mile round trip I'm not a season ticket holder. How many ordinary tickets are sold each match?

The only real capacity comparison is the number in there before the H&S cuts with what is proposed now.

Anyone help?

Archived