Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Those nice tories

15 hours ago, Saintslass said:

He is a remainer loon and has rebelled on a regular basis against the Government.  

Its drivel like this that reminds me with every post why I can't see myself ever voting Conservative again.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, shrek said:

Its drivel like this that reminds me with every post why I can't see myself ever voting Conservative again.

The thing is that this takeover of the conservatives by the right is very similar to the takeover of momentum in the Labour Party. 

Mid both parties keep this up there could be space for a third party. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

The thing is that this takeover of the conservatives by the right is very similar to the takeover of momentum in the Labour Party. 

Mid both parties keep this up there could be space for a third party. 

Agreed - I'd like to think a party could occupy that space, but then I carry on suspecting to many people are just to tribal and treat politics like football and vote for "their" party regardless.

• Like 1

Slight lighting error?

• Haha 8

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 hour ago, shrek said:

Me too.

59 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Me too.

Serious question; if not Tory who else?

I'm in a similar position, but in reverse; I'm no big fan of the Labour party under it's current leadership regime (I use the word leadership in the looses possible term) but stuck for a viable alternative. I'm not looking forward to a general election that will force me to choose between political parties that doesn't represent me at all.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

7 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

I'm in a similar position, but in reverse; I'm no big fan of the Labour party under it's current leadership regime (I use the word leadership in the looses possible term) but stuck for a viable alternative. I'm not looking forward to a general election that will force me to choose between political parties that doesn't represent me at all.

Then abstain and go on holiday abroad when it happens.

And when you come back cease watching the news and related programmes and keep to the RL part of this forum.

You'll have a much happier life and you'll be seldom disappointed.

" I ain't no saint and I don't pretend to be,  But I hope you all found a friend in me."   Steve Forbert       

37 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

We have a guy who stands for the Greens in pretty much every election, I'm as far away from a Green supporter as you can get, but I chuck him my vote when I can't bring myself to vote for anyone else. 

He stands in the GE, Mayoral elections etc, live tweets from Town Council meeting, gets involved in a stack of local initiatives, the least I can do is help him get one vote closer to getting his deposit back rather than not bothering to make the effort!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

We have local elections coming up in May.  For a while now it's been totally pointless me voting in local elections as boundary changes were made during the Blair years and since then it has been so Labour in my ward that the pavements have turned red. I have voted in every UK election since I was old enough to vote because women worked hard and sacrificed much (as indeed did sympathetic men along the way) in order to ensure I could have the right to cast a vote.  At national level I have voted Tory on every occasion bar one: 1997, when I voted for the Monster Raving Loony Party.  At local level I have mostly voted Tory but when living in Carlisle I voted Labour as the local Labour group were good when I was living there.

Now, though, I have absolutely no idea whether I will vote again.  I would imagine I'm slightly more disenfranchised than you as those on the left at least have a range of options even if you are finding those options not ideal.  I have the Tories or nobody else, and just now the Tories are (a) incompetent buffoons and (b) more New Labour than Tory.

Edited by Saintslass
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

We have local elections coming up in May.  For a while now it's been totally pointless me voting in local elections as boundary changes were made during the Blair years and since then it has been so Labour in my ward that the pavements have turned red. I have voted in every UK election since I was old enough to vote because women worked hard and sacrificed much (as indeed did sympathetic men along the way) in order to ensure I could have the right to cast a vote.  At national level I have voted Tory on every occasion bar one: 1997, when I voted for the Monster Raving Loony Party.  At local level I have mostly voted Tory but when living in Carlisle I voted Labour as the local Labour group were good when I was living there.

Now, though, I have absolutely no idea whether I will vote again.  I would imagine I'm slightly more disenfranchised than you as those on the left at least have a range of options even if you are finding those options not ideal.  I have the Tories or nobody else, and just now the Tories are (a) incompetent buffoons and (b) more New Labour than Tory.

I will be voting Lib Dem in our local elections.  I know the councillors well in the area and they go above and beyond their role to help the community.  It's definitely the person I'm voting for rather than the party.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

15 minutes ago, ckn said:

I will be voting Lib Dem in our local elections.  I know the councillors well in the area and they go above and beyond their role to help the community.  It's definitely the person I'm voting for rather than the party.

The Lib Dem candidate down here in Bristol just knocked on the door handing me the leaflet... beamed when I told him he had my vote.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I've no idea who the LibDems are in my ward.  Not that anybody bothers to canvass my area as it's automatic that Labour will get in.  But even so, I don't even get a leaflet through my door from the LibDems.  Maybe they don't field anyone in my ward.  They did good when they held the balance of power in the council a few years back.  Had it not been for them, St Helens would not have got its new stadium.  So if they bother to knock on my door I may well listen to them this time around.

I'd never vote LibDem nationally though.  

Edited by Saintslass

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

The Lib Dem candidate down here in Bristol just knocked on the door handing me the leaflet... beamed when I told him he had my vote.

Canvassing is a thankless task.  Somebody actually responding positively makes all the trudging around worthwhile!

• Like 1

Oh for God's sake you're upset because politicians are useless, you're peeved cos you're not getting  exactly what you want, you've lost faith in democracy cos it's messy, doesn't alway go the way you want it to and you're furious and feel disenfranchised because Parliament took control and didn't back the straight jacket and won't go for free fall. All that's really happened is you've finally realised the  lunatics really are in charge of the asylum and it's you/us!

Edited by Oxford

" I ain't no saint and I don't pretend to be,  But I hope you all found a friend in me."   Steve Forbert       

29 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Canvassing is a thankless task.  Somebody actually responding positively makes all the trudging around worthwhile!

My Gran bless her used to offer anyone who knocked at her door a brew, the use of the loo and told them all they'd have her vote, she couldn't bare to send them away unhappy!

My Grandad was always fuming when it was the "Communist Labour" lot, you'd have liked him, always made a point of shouting it'd be a cold day in hell before he'd vote Labour!  He never forgave Labour for "stealing" the old Wigan tech to be the new town hall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, shrek said:

Agreed - I'd like to think a party could occupy that space, but then I carry on suspecting to many people are just to tribal and treat politics like football and vote for "their" party regardless.

Or you could just vote based on which party has the most policies you agree with in their manifesto, rather than some vague concept of ideology.

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

Or you could just vote based on which party has the most policies you agree with in their manifesto, rather than some vague concept of ideology.

I did that with the libdems once, that went well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I've no idea who the LibDems are in my ward.  Not that anybody bothers to canvass my area as it's automatic that Labour will get in.  But even so, I don't even get a leaflet through my door from the LibDems.  Maybe they don't field anyone in my ward.  They did good when they held the balance of power in the council a few years back.  Had it not been for them, St Helens would not have got its new stadium.  So if they bother to knock on my door I may well listen to them this time around.

I'd never vote LibDem nationally though.  

They probably don’t bother delivering to you because they know you would never vote for them

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 9:19 PM, Saintslass said:

Had it not been for them, St Helens would not have got its new stadium. 

And there we have it, the real basis of all our political decisions. 

On 3/31/2019 at 2:56 AM, Evil Homer said:

To a point yes, you could, however, given there is actually no legal requirement, or comeback to parties who fail to implement manifesto pledges other factors come into play such as the personalities and general directions of major parties, along with the TV debates, social media output etc etc.

Looking back at recent history, 2010, saw the Conservatives and Lib Dems coalition saw plenty of comprimise, 2015 Conservative Manifesto binned in 2017, 2017 Conservative Manifesto looking increasingly likely to be scrapped in 2019, having failed to deliver vast swathes of what was published.

I see the Tories have learned nothing from the 2017 debacle and are still going for personality politics. RUTH DAVIDSON's SCOTTISH CONSERVATIVES.  No, no it's not.  This isn't the US Presidential debate where it truly is about the President and Vice President, this is independent constituency MPs who operate under a party whip.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

7 hours ago, ckn said:

I see the Tories have learned nothing from the 2017 debacle and are still going for personality politics. RUTH DAVIDSON's SCOTTISH CONSERVATIVES.  No, no it's not.  This isn't the US Presidential debate where it truly is about the President and Vice President, this is independent constituency MPs who operate under a party whip.

It's held by the Lib Dems at the moment. The constituency includes Murrayfield. It's always been a marginal. 

I can see why they have named Ruth Davidson as she is popular. Maybe they could have also gone the whole way and called the nationalists "Nicola Surgeon's SNP"?

50 minutes ago, Niels said:

It's held by the Lib Dems at the moment. The constituency includes Murrayfield. It's always been a marginal. 

I can see why they have named Ruth Davidson as she is popular. Maybe they could have also gone the whole way and called the nationalists "Nicola Surgeon's SNP"?

I know it's a typo, but I like it. Will she surgically sever the Scottish limb from the English torso?

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

What I find amazing is people still refering to Political Parties as a broad church whilst throwing the the noose over the limb of the nearest tree when talking about a member who disagrees.

And finding your bit whether your left, right or godforsaken as the bit that's innocent in all this this is bovine scatological bullocks of the first order.

28 minutes ago, Niels said:

The constituency includes Murrayfield

My heart goes out to you.

In the meantime

"The nation will deserve to know quite why Brexiters decided an intensely complex and nuanced matter was best understood in terms of the second world war or their own virility. Why was their penis or the Third Reich always treated as Brexit’s Rosetta stone?"

and

"Wales' first minister has said he would back stopping Brexit if it was the only way to stop leaving the European Union without a deal. "

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ckn said:

Er, it worked in 2017 ckn!