Today's Game

SpotTheBall85

Despite the result thought there were quite a few positives to come out of today's game against one of the full time clubs. Just a shame we couldn't turn some of the possession and territory we had in the 1st half into points. A little bit more creativity and I think we will be alright. Today definitely proved that we can be competitive in this division and won't be no pushovers.

We have to remember the team will be on a very steep learning curve. Let's just hope they improve over time.The intensity will be greater than in league 1.

i agree with that, just said as much in the other thread....all he stories in the world from whoever, about the intensity of being in this league being totally different, couldnt replace the experience they got out there actually DOING it today....i think they will have learned much from today, and use it to their benefit.

Crowd around the 800 mark not to shabby for a Game against a club with next to no away support and also the weather.

Yeah that's a fair assessment.  Come the summer months I'm really looking forward to turning up at Fortress Bower Fold wearing shorts n shades with a 1000+ crowd at least.  

Was up against today Marshy against a full time London side fielding six Australians whov have spent heavy pre-season, we played well first half but leaked the second, glad we have got London out of the way has iam sure London will beat other teams more easily.

Yeah Daz not bad,there must have been about 20 to 30 away fans that I noticed. Credit to them,its a long hall coming up here.Im just glad they didn't check BBC website because on there we were playing at Whitebank.And it was a bit nippy out there for any southerner.

Was up against today Marshy against a full time London side fielding six Australians whov have spent heavy pre-season, we played well first half but leaked the second, glad we have got London out of the way has iam sure London will beat other teams more easily.

1 Fijian and 4 Aussies, all within the rules I believe and to complete the 19, 5 cockneys, 1 Frenchman, 8 northerners (of who 4 have been down here for 2+ years), no dual reg or loan players.

Now that correction is out of the way. Well done yesterday. I was one of the hardly 40 Broncos fans there and I applaud Oldham both on and off the field. New league, new venue, glad it was us visiting so teething troubles could be ironed out. No doubt plenty of effort on the field but lacking a little cutting edge, but lots of positive signs.

Good luck for the rest of the season - oh, and you are missing a trick by not opening the ground and bar until 2pm ! 

There were many positives as has been said. I thought Palfreys kicking game was spot on. The amount of pressure we put on them in the first half, producing many repeat sets, you have to give the London defence a big rap for holding out. Also thought Lepori had a fine game at full back, with good kick returns and two certain try saving tackles.

Another tough test against full timers next week, then the real league battle starts.

A team playing championship 1 rugby six months ago against a full time outfit put on a good display and will hopefully have learnt a few things in the process. I don't think anyone should be singled out for criticism.

A few chances missed close to the line which on another day could have yielded tries. London should be applauded for keeping their line intact.

The next few matches will be hard as well but with other players to come in and mix it up our first victory will happen soon.

Pretty fair assessmemts all round, generally we stood up well, fitness didnt look an issue but i still think we need a big aggressive prop, nothing to do with the lads who played, Phil Joy worked his socks off as he does every week, Spencer was solid and gave some go forward, Thommo for me isnt a prop. He would be my 13 week in week out and Wardy does what he does best. As for the second row, admittedly we had Briscoe out injured which meant Josh and Langers played more minutes than i would like, we surely cant expect them to put 80 mins in every week? Good as they both are.Will Hope did well also. As for the hookers, well i would have had Kenny on sooner, possibly to replace Roper as imho he is a sharper player than Ropes and potentially could have unlocked the defence.Roper is solid but no more than that imo.Files seems to have lost a bit of pace and doesnt seem quite right somehow. Sammy Gee is well, just Sammy Gee :)Palfs kicking was good, wish he would run at the line a bit more though.The backs did nothing wrong, Jamel had a great game but the star man was of course Lippy. What a tackle that was on top of stirling work all game. Many positives, Grimshaw will make a big difference when fit. Dont see any reason why we cant stay up on that showing, just a little more nous and craft and we may have seen a different scoreline if not a win.Off to Leigh then this weekend, cant see us getting anything out of this one but you never know ;). Very optimistic about the rest of the season now, Scott Naylor knows what we have to do and the lads have had a tough game to acclimatise to the Champ. Up the Yeds!

Spoke to local Celtic supporter,he said very little match advertising round Stalybridge.For a cold day and bad weather sat ,it wasn't a bad turnout,about 50 London supporters.Dull game 7out of 10 ref 0out of 100 pie chips and peas10 out of 10

We need to remember the side yesterday was weaker than what we finished last season with, so we will struggle in this division unless we add more recruits.

Not a bad display and as always 100% effort but frustrating first half not being able to turn pressure into points mean't that  up the slope and into the wind were likely  to lose without that half time lead.

Lippy my MOM, Palfrey's kicking game was spot on just wished he deployed it closer to the line with arranged runners as in this league we will struggle to force our way over the line

Agree would have had Kenny Hughes on earlier as he is our best distributor from dummy half   

Yeah tub, we missed Tysons aggression yesterday and Neal would have took some pressure off, would have thought we might have tried to bring Nathan Mason in? But then again i just read Hudds have their own injury problems so might be a problem over whats available on DR for a bit

Hi @moorsideroughyed, @eclecticsheep

Re: the incorrect ground on the BBC Sport website, it actually comes from an automated feed from the Press Association. You need to get them to change it, and send the correct info in the feed.

Ideally, someone from the club needs to contact PA and let them know the name of the new ground.

I'll try and remember to get someone our end to give PA a bell this week.

I know this coz I work with the product development teams at the BBC, used to work at PA and am a massive Swinton fan...and they had us down as playing at LSV last season ;-)

You can also get score alerts for every club sent to your phone if you have the BBC Sport app too.

Anyway, here's to the day we're both 'home'. All best (within reason) for the season. I won't come back on here, but am often on the Swinton forum.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived