Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bedford Roughyed

The great EU Referendum poll (new question in poll!)

EU Referendum  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union
    • Leave the European Union
    • Don't know?
  2. 2. With two weeks to go, has your vote changed?

• Yes, I was remain, now leave
    • Yes, I was leave, now remain
    • Yes, I was don't know, now leave
    • Yes, I was don't know, now remain
    • No, but I'm holding on reluctantly to leave
    • No, but I'm holding on reluctantly to stay
    • No, my intention is the same

Finding it really hard to step away.... really very difficult.

I guess this isn't the same as a GE; we can't simply change our decision in 5yrs time... Out is out!

Sajid Javid destroyed by Marr just now. My only sympathy is that it's very difficult for the Business Secretary to continue to run around with his hands flailing in the air proclaiming that we're all doomed. Even though he knows we are.

He couldn't have done a better job though of looking like a slippery politician if he tried.

Javid has to be positive now.  Everyone has to be.  Self fulfilling prophecy time otherwise. 

Glad he chose to let the population know that government is doing something (in his case meeting with business leaders).  More ministers need to be telling the press what they are doing because silence just encourages sare stories and the like. 

This doesn't make interesting reading; it just makes me very sad to live In such a nation:

https://www.facebook.com/arianne.kidd/posts/10154347485001600

Edited by GeordieSaint

Ofcourse they will stay, they are just about to be given permission to remove any rights the workers have. No more 20 days annual leave, no more maternity/paternity leave. Any big business would be crazy to walk away from an even cheaper labour force.

People here have a right to 28 days which may include the bank holidays. That's exceeds the EU minimum of 20. Likewise our minimum standards for maternity leave vastly exceed EU regulations

Javid has to be positive now. Everyone has to be. Self fulfilling prophecy time otherwise.

Glad he chose to let the population know that government is doing something (in his case meeting with business leaders). More ministers need to be telling the press what they are doing because silence just encourages sare stories and the like.

Nobody has to be positive. They have to live in the real world.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Tim Farron has said that a vote for the Lib Dems at the next election will see them trying to stop Brexit as it was a campaign based on lies. Interestingly it appears that IDS is now moving away from the £350m to the NHS line.

Whilst theoretically interesting, after all if they picked up a significant amount of the 48+% that didn't and now don't want this they could get a majority, it won't happen. It would cause rioting in the streets.

However it does raise an interesting hypothetical regarding referendums. Imagine a scenario where a population made a decision based on a provable lie. For instance, say the SNP said vote for Scottish independence because we guarantee we'll get in the EU and then they didn't.

With any other political process, the situation could be recinded and the liars punished. With a referendum this cannot happen, where is the accountability.

Imagine Brexit is as serious as it appears it could be in the worst case scenario. Could there be an enquiry into it like with the Iraq war? Could the main players be held to account and potentially prosecuted? Or is it a case of the public would just have to accept the blame for believing their lies?

Nobody has to be positive. They have to live in the real world.

It was a cringey interview. Whilst feeling a little for the guy, after all he's trying to limit damage, he just came across as bad as one of the embarrassed looking Brexit leaders.

Hypothesis:-

What if a party went to a general election with a manifesto pledge that they would NOT invoke article 50 and won with a clear majority.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Tim Farron has said that a vote for the Lib Dems at the next election will see them trying to stop Brexit as it was a campaign based on lies. 

Mrs Ginger, who has never been a member of anything political in her life, is on the threshold of signing up to be a member for that one reason.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Jesus H Arkwright.... I'm agreeing with Tony Blair.....

Almost every word he is saying..

Bug ger me wi t'curly end of a Raja's slipper

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Mrs Ginger, who has never been a member of anything political in her life, is on the threshold of signing up to be a member for that one reason.

I was until this, his speech on the progressive 48% needing to take the argument from the extremes struck with me.

Jesus H Arkwright.... I'm agreeing with Tony Blair.....

Almost every word he is saying..

Bug ger me wi t'curly end of a Raja's slipper

Feeling the exact same feeling. I voted against him three times so it is monumentally disturbing.

But he is talking with clarity, intellect and an understanding of the difficulties of the situation. There has been such a lack of development of all the myriad different ways this affects us. I'd vote for Blair to take control of negotiations in a heartbeat now.

Hypocrite alert: Liam Fox on The Sunday Politics berating unelected EU bureaucrats. In the next breath when asked who should head up exit negotiations says some politicians but also unelected business leaders and unelected civil servants. :rolleyes:

Edited by Griff9of13

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

After two decades of voting Tory I stopped last May with Cameron's promise of this referendum the main reason. I would always have been considered an absolute soaking wet so was relatively happy with the coalition and viewed Cameron as someone who was, underneath it all, a bit of a moderate whose main interest in life was being PM. I'm also still very convinced Cameron enjoyed that coalition as he had the perfect excuse to ignore the crazies on his far right.

Pandering to them with the referendum promise however was the greatest, most sickening example of putting party over country I've ever seen. So I voted Lib Dem and, after Clegg's resignation speech, joined the party. People can ridicule them for compromising with the Tories but they had no option and received a terrible kicking for it. What we'd give for their stability underlying the government now.

Farron's pronouncements have been slightly inartful and he needs to be careful not to appear fundamentally anti-democratic. But as a party they are fundamentally pro-European and not afraid to explain why. And I'm happy that he shares with me the absolute despair at the decision and its consequences and is prepared to set out a means, through standing against it during an election, of reversing it.

Some Mail readers not very happy:

Cl3m_xRWYAA2SLN.jpg

Cl3m_OeWAAAQ1C9.jpg

:rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

This will finish Labour, they backed the wrong horse.All the working class who voted leave will go to Ukip.A 3 figure Tory majority, Boris and Gove.

This is probably for the labour thread now, but these people are mostly already lost from labour.  Any new 'london' leader will struggle to win them over.  Also 60% of Labour supporters did vote with the party position. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Oh just for fun, Farage and Banks are back at loggerheads with Carswell and Evans.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Oh just for fun, Farage and Banks are back at loggerheads with Carswell and Evans.

Farage will seek independence from independent Britain soon.