"Loppy O'Neil

maripins

Very sad news that another Town great is no longer with us. I have clear memories of my first ever visit to DP when I was about 6 or 7 my dad sat me on top of one of the small dugouts that were scattered around the ground before the terracing was cut back to accommodate the speedway, Loppy went in for a try at the Town end / popular side corner right in front of me. It was the first try I ever saw scored by Town, great memories.

Condolences to all the family at this sad time.

John ‘Loppy’ O’Neil had been a big Workington favourite for 10 years between 1956 and 1966 when he made 269 appearances and scored 117 tries.

Played with young (Kevin)Loppy at DP in the early 80's and just saw the sad news on his facebook.

Condolances to the family..another Town legend lost.

John ‘Loppy’ O’Neil had been a big Workington favourite for 10 years between 1956 and 1966 when he made 269 appearances and scored 117 tries.

Played with young (Kevin)Loppy at DP in the early 80's and just saw the sad news on his facebook.

Condolances to the family..another Town legend lost.

Have to say that is some tries to games played ratio. Respect to his family for their loss.  

So sad to hear this....condolences to his family.

Knew 'Loppy' from his time at Sellafield, a true gent and modest for a player of such talent.

His try ratio was certainly good as someone has mentioned. But that was not all he did in a Town shirt.

Because the wingers of the era, when 'Loppy' starred in his centre role, were also given so many opportunities to register their own scores via classy breaks and offloads from him.

The likes of Ike Southward, Piet Pretorius and Ray Glastonbury all benefitted this way, 'Loppy' was a top quality player.

RIP Loppy.

Archived