The Grounds of Rugby League

Just finished re-reading this wonderful book written by Trevor Delaney in 1991.

That year we had 36 pro clubs. Seven of them are no more. Three of them, Bramley, Blackpool(Trafford) and Huyton (Highfield) were long standing RFL members. Four others Carlisle, Scarborough, Nottingham and Chorley were expansion teams.

Since that book PSG and S:Wales have come and gone, and of course there are a raft of new expansion clubs: Newcastle, Skolars, North Wales, South Wales, Coventry, Hemel, Oxford, and Gloucs. And the two French clubs.

Only LOndon and Sheffield survive from the original expansion clubs of the early 80s.

Of the other 27 longstanding RFL members covered in the book, only ten still play at the same ground they did in 1991. Fev/Cas/Wakey, the 3 Cumbrian clubs, Batley, Keighley Bradford and Leeds.

Of the 17 that have moved, six now share with soccer teams: Wigan, Hudds, Fax, Rochdale, Hull and Donny. Another eight have (better or worse) RL stadiums: HKR, Widnes, Dewsbury, Leigh, Saints, Salford (with RU), Wire and Hunslet.

Another three York, Oldham, and Swinton, along with London and Sheffield have yet to nail down their medium/long term future.

The book is a great look at the game at that time. He also covered defunct clubs as well, and the older grounds of clubs too including Birch Lane, the Sandy Desert, Mather lane, etc. Fantastic research.

I'd love to see someone do an updated version covering all 39 pro' grounds today.

Or do they?

It depends on your philosphical stance.

The ship of Theseus, Grandfather's axe, and Widnes' stadium.

naughton park was completely redeveloped on the original footprint and became the halton stadium as a technicality so that halton council could justify their ownership of the ground to the people of the borough (especially runcorn) so it is still naughton park albeit with a different name 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

I don't have the book to hand but I'm sure Hull KR were already at New Craven Park in it?

They were.

Hard to see the Halton stadium as being somehow a different place than Naughton Park, particularly as the redevelopment was so piecemeal - best part of a decade for the various new stands to appear.

naughton park was completely redeveloped on the original footprint and became the halton stadium as a technicality so that halton council could justify their ownership of the ground to the people of the borough (especially runcorn) so it is still naughton park albeit with a different name 

Different name, all different stands, different pitch. But it''s the same ground.

Like I say, it depends on your philosophical stance.

I wouldn't say this thread is in danger of challenging Plutarch quite yet.

Nor Rodney & Trigger for that matter.

Part of the old Broughton Rangers RLFC ground still exists I think?

The MUFC "Cliff" training ground which was Broughton Rangers old ground still had the remains of the old stand up until a few years back.

If it's still there? would this make it the oldest remaining Rugby League structure?

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Part of the old Broughton Rangers RLFC ground still exists I think?

The MUFC "Cliff" training ground which was Broughton Rangers old ground still had the remains of the old stand up until a few years back.

If it's still there? would this make it the oldest remaining Rugby League structure?

It's covered quite a bit in the book. Broughton moved there in 1913. It was a former tennis & cricket field. Man Utd bought it off Belle Vue in 1951. The book vividly describes how the shell of the old stand can be seen.

Not sure if a metal frame dating from 1913 counts as the oldest RL structure. Perhaps though, who knows?

Not sure if a metal frame dating from 1913 counts as the oldest RL structure. Perhaps though, who knows?

Surely there must be a brick wall or such like at Belle Vue or Mount Pleasant that pre dates 1913?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

it was one of my favourite books back in the day, along with the international grounds version.

Fartown was still a venue,albeit in a major state of repair, we left less than a year later IIRC, never to return, but it's still there, pitch and outline of it,minus the stands, but the mound of the terracing etc is still there as is the cricket ground, again minus the seats,although the seating bowl is still visible.

I'd forgotten about that Dave.

Which was actually a straight steal from Ronnie Barkers Arkwright in Open All Hours

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Widnes still play at the same ground albeit completely redeveloped

I think Trevor's book gives the date of the "Naughton Park/Halton Stadium" site as 1884 but that was the old ground, 100 yards up Lowerhouse Lane.

The current ground dates from October 1895, a few home games into the first NU season. 

Archived