New signing

TOSH1960

We have now got 5 props, Ward,Thompson,Joy,Spencer and Burke. He looks useful this lad, never seen a centre though, get burned for pace in this league. Get a big centre now to replace Ashy and add to an area where we are short imho and this will look like a complete squad.Looking forward to seeing Joe in action, plenty of power by the looks of him and quick for a prop. Players player of the year too at NW last year, the tributes from other players seem to suggest he is a great team player and workhorse. Excellent signing for us,unfortunate circumstances but thats the way it goes sometimes.

Not forgotten just dont think Fordy is big enough for this division, he has never let us down and deserves a game to prove me wrong,its a harsh reality in this league and the battle for survival and ultimately improvement, that centres these days are almost like second rowers, Ford is a good centre but his lack of bulk may see his appearances limited this season. I wouldnt be surprised when/if Bibby goes back if we see Josh Crowley in the centres with Ashy when he is back fit. Hope Fordy does get a run,give him a chance to do his stuff.

Got to say I wasn't overly impressed with Burke on sunday, he's in the same build category as Phil Joy. We've missed out on the better prop, Ryan Duffy. told us on sunday that his agent had been speaking to Nobby, but Nobby preferred Burke as he can play longer spells. Duffy has now signed for Haven.

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think attitude has an awful lot to do with the players Nobby signs. The lads play for each other and not individual glory and train very hard. Seeing the video from the link above and the comments from Cru's players, Joe Burke fits that model well. I think he will be a far better asset than Ryan Duffy who is also a good prop but not as consistent or fit.

He is still filling out but a big lad. Certainly bigger than Jack Holmes who has played in the centre this season. Also consistently scored tries when he's played for us previously. I'm sure Nobby knows far better than me though.  ;)

Yes he is bigger than Holmes. We brought a centre in from Salford on loan when we already had a contracted centre on the books. So by bringing in a centre on loan it would appear on face value that Nobby doesnt rate Ford. Id still like to see him given a chance,dont get me wrong i like Ford and he has never done anything but good work at Champ 1 level,until he gets a run out at this higher level we wont know if he can do the job.I have my doubts and truly hope im proved wrong. Lets see if he is picked in the 17 for Sunday.......

That's the thing though.  In Scott we trust, I'm a true believer, but if he doesn't now rate him, why sign him permanently from Salford.  He's effectively dead wood taking up a place in the squad.

I reckon there's more to this than meets the eye and I'm hoping Fordy gets to take his chance in the Championship.  

As a Barrow supporter I have been reading this thread with interest as both Burke and Duffy have played at Craven Park in recent years. Joe Burke played the whole of the 2014 season at Barrow and although he wasnt playing in a great side (far from it!) he didnt do a great deal in my opinion. Yes he worked hard and missed very few games but in truth he made no real impact, unlike the player who came with him, Dalton Grant who was excellent in a struggling side. Ryan Duffy was used as an impact player and at Champ 1 level (2012 season) very much did the buisness. I have seen him come back with his various other sides since then however and he has been less impressive. Whos the better? Hard to say as they are very different types of prop but Id wager you would get better value for money from Burke.

As you are all doubtless aware Barrow have signed Jamie Dallimore who has always impressed me when I have seen him. You guys have seen him much more than me so whats your view? Strengths, weaknesses etc?

Archived