The New NRL Boss to be announced.....

On this John Grant said,

"I think rugby league needs to be and can be the pre-eminent sport in Australia," Grant said.

"Every indicator says that it can be. Playing off its international opportunities as well just gives it another string to its bow.

"We see the NRL firstly as the game of Australia but we see NRL as an opportunity to launch rugby league more strongly into the world game."

On the face of it this looks really promising and I hope whoever is appointed sees this as the essential mission statement.I haven't always been a fan of the Aussie approach to the international game but I do want to see the NRL taking it along with SL making TGG a world brand.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Its difficult to know whether this is good or bad or to comment

In case he has missed it there is RL around the world so I think he's on about the short sighted Aussie approach of launching League on the globe in its Aussie form rather than accepting its already there and he needs to actually support it all properly rather than pretend hes doing something new and heroic

Possibly!

Its difficult to know whether this is good or bad or to comment

In case he has missed it there is RL around the world so I think he's on about the short sighted Aussie approach of launching League on the globe in its Aussie form rather than accepting its already there and he needs to actually support it all properly rather than pretend hes doing something new and heroic

Possibly!

I hope you're wrong Kris we've had too many years of "Our own back yard is good enough for me!" But other sports must love how little we do to promote our game across the world.

Sorry too busy answering your post it's a very good comment and I'm only a bit sad that so few people see and think how important this job/position is to the sport as a whole.

It seems to me that the Aussies have done a great deal for the international game, helping establish it as the major footballing code in the Pacific. They could probably have done more, but they have done a lot to help establish the wonderful multi team World Cups we enjoy every 4 years.

It seems to me that the Aussies have done a great deal for the international game, helping establish it as the major footballing code in the Pacific. They could probably have done more, but they have done a lot to help establish the wonderful multi team World Cups we enjoy every 4 years.

I think that the trouble is often an attitude one, it's not just what they do because it's never been a case of, they're doing nothing. However, some things have more to do with getting more players for the NRL, and feathering their nest rather than a world wide selling of the brand RL. They are the pre-eminent section of our sport and in a very strong economic position. If everything stays in house for whatever reason we all lose. while SOO is great while it's considered the most important, our sport can only laguish behind sports who have a world vision.

Unfortunately that vision doesn't seem like it'll come to fruition. NRL clubs have too much power and will oust any person who goes against their wishes. They, like many Aussies, quite frankly don't care about the international game.

Japan is in the Pacific. Shame they didn't nail that but as other posters have pointed out the smaller island nations produce players wanted by the NRL.

I've seen nothing to convince me that the Australians are changing their 100% insular culture in Rugby.

Japan is in the Pacific. Shame they didn't nail that but as other posters have pointed out the smaller island nations produce players wanted by the NRL.

I've seen nothing to convince me that the Australians are changing their 100% insular culture in Rugby.

What's the point in owning a continent if your ambitions end at the corner shop?

What are we doing to build France or any other Nation in a meaningful way?

Throwing a few bob and some League balls to some odd bod countries hardly counts as development.

Every World Cup sees Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy and the rest stacked with Heritage Aussies and Island Nations stacked with both Australian and Kiwi born players.

We always have an excuse why France can not be brought on to at least what they once were but have no problems complaining about the Australians.

Which country has brought six teams to England recently to try and beat our best teams?

Sure they are Club sides but I thought after the Sydney Roosters v Wigan game it was going to be alternated each year?

We always say they, the fans would not support it

They drew 31,515 fans

This year, we drew 

20k for the main game

Guess not.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

You do realise nearly all of the players you are talking about were born or live in either Australia or New Zealand and are mostly economic immigrants?

How many ready to go players built in the Island have the NRL poached?

Answer is ?

Pacific Islanders are moving to Australia and NZ and then Kiwis moving to Australia in massive numbers and have been for decades.

The mentality we have that Australia poaches these players is not accurate.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

What are we doing to build France or any other Nation in a meaningful way?

Throwing a few bob and some League balls to some odd bod countries hardly counts as development.

Every World Cup sees Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy and the rest stacked with Heritage Aussies and Island Nations stacked with both Australian and Kiwi born players.

We always have an excuse why France can not be brought on to at least what they once were but have no problems complaining about the Australians.

Which country has brought six teams to England recently to try and beat our best teams?

Sure they are Club sides but I thought after the Sydney Roosters v Wigan game it was going to be alternated each year?

We always say they, the fans would not support it

They drew 31,515 fans

This year, we drew 

20k for the main game

Guess not.

I have generally always defended the RFL on things like this - but it is becoming more and more difficult to defend their approach to supporting development of the international game at club and test level.

For God's sake everyone the Kangaroos took a year off, that is an absurd way to behave, and is something competitors must use in their how not to do it seminars!

What has this discussion got to do with the title of the thread?

FYI the new NRL CEO is going to be former Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs CEO, and current Director of Rugby at the NRL, Todd Greenberg.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/club-bosses-back-the-appointment-of-todd-greenberg-as-new-nrl-ceo-20160315-gnjqfb.html

What his attitude to international development of the game is I do not know.

FYI the new NRL CEO is going to be former Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs CEO, and current Director of Rugby at the NRL, Todd Greenberg.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/club-bosses-back-the-appointment-of-todd-greenberg-as-new-nrl-ceo-20160315-gnjqfb.html

Terrible choice is he gets the job. Will pander to every wim of the the NRL clubs.

Not a good choice for the future of Rugby League in Australia and everything he does is very short term.

Truly this is what you believe? No wonder we are losing the battle and the war!

Todd Greenberg has officially been announced as the NRL's new chief executive.

He replaces Dave Smith, who resigned from the position in October last year.

Greenberg was the NRL's head of football from 2013, after a spell as chief executive of the Canterbury Bulldogs.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-18/todd-greenberg-confirmed-as-nrl-ceo/7257270?section=sport

Truly this is what you believe? No wonder we are losing the battle and the war!

Seems a little hyperbolic. I've always thought the decline in international RL was mainly due to the fact that the standard of RL in the second-largest RL nation has been declining for the last 3 decades. I don't see how any NRL appointment can change the quality of Brit RL.

Todd Greenberg has officially been announced as the NRL's new chief executive.

He replaces Dave Smith, who resigned from the position in October last year.

Greenberg was the NRL's head of football from 2013, after a spell as chief executive of the Canterbury Bulldogs.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-18/todd-greenberg-confirmed-as-nrl-ceo/7257270?section=sport

Seems a little hyperbolic. I've always thought the decline in international RL was mainly due to the fact that the standard of RL in the second-largest RL nation has been declining for the last 3 decades. I don't see how any NRL appointment can change the quality of Brit RL.

In which case let's not bother with international RL and stop bothering each other then! Bit less hyperbole there, eh?

This is from the Roar so not mine but very interesting.......

"When newly appointed CEO Todd Greenberg ruled out expansion, once again rugby league is the code that stands still while other codes are willing to expand their national footprint"

So what does that say dor the international hopes we might have?

If you want to see the rest:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/03/20/rugby-league-forever-standing-still/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theroar%2Frugby-league+%28The+Roar+-+Rugby+League%29

Archived