Why are we actively hiding attendances?

In all my time watching the game we have never been shy to publish attendances. We put them everywhere and we have criticised sports that hide theirs. This season there is a concerted effort to make it difficult to find crowds. It is pretty obvious why. It smacks of desperation and pretty much a cover up of a year-on-year slide.

And for those saying clubs are announcing in the ground or putting on twitter that is not what I am talking about. We have never had to look hard to find them - good or bad. They were literally everywhere. Now we can't even find them on the Super League site, never mind BBC or sporting life or in the press. It feels shifty.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does seem strange that attendances aren't published in the media.

anyway 5,610 at Huddersfield i think it was.

Half of them are not even making them onto the official SL site. The Championship and League 1 attendances are as rare a rocking horse c...

Attendances are not being listed because the Associated Press, who provide all match details including team lists, cards and scorers etc, are no longer reporting them for whatever reason. And they provide match information for every single media outlet including the official SL website, so no, you won't be able to find them listed on any website because all websites get their information from the same source. As for the bizarre conspiracy theory in the OP, I don't know what to say about that. Find something better to do with your time.

In all my time watching the game we have never been shy to publish attendances. We put them everywhere and we have criticised sports that hide theirs. This season there is a concerted effort to make it difficult to find crowds. It is pretty obvious why. It smacks of desperation and pretty much a cover up of a year-on-year slide.

And for those saying clubs are announcing in the ground or putting on twitter that is not what I am talking about. We have never had to look hard to find them - good or bad. They were literally everywhere. Now we can't even find them on the Super League site, never mind BBC or sporting life or in the press. It feels shifty.

How do you know that attendances are ACTIVELY being hidden, are they not just not being reported?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Attendances are not being listed because the Associated Press, who provide all match details including team lists, cards and scorers etc, are no longer reporting them for whatever reason. And they provide match information for every single media outlet including the official SL website, so no, you won't be able to find them listed on any website because all websites get their information from the same source. As for the bizarre conspiracy theory in the OP, I don't know what to say about that. Find something better to do with your time.

Though that does raise the question of why the press agency isn't bothering to provide (or in many cases not bothering to obtain) the information that was previously provided.

How do you know that attendances are ACTIVELY being hidden, are they not just not being reported?

Probably because like you I have followed the game for decades and never had to go looking for them. To say the SL official site is not reporting attendances because of the AP is ridiculous.

Probably because like you I have followed the game for decades and never had to go looking for them. To say the SL official site is not reporting attendances because of the AP is ridiculous.

No, it's the truth. Every single website this week will report attendances for only two matches, Batley and Castleford. Every single website is lacking the teams and scorers for the London Skolars vs Oxford match. They all listed Thomas Minns as a try scorer for Hull KR when the try was actually scored by Ken Sio. They all erroneously listed Danny Hulme as scoring ten tries last week. This is because they all get their information in real time from the same source. This is not the 1970s. Individual media outlets are not each sending their own reporters out with pens and paper to note down the scorers and attendances. And they are certainly not then being directed by some sort of higher power not to report the crowds as part of a conspiracy to avoid people noticing a 'decline' (which BTW doesn't exist). This thread is frankly laughable. Attendances will probably be in League Express tomorrow if you care that much, because unlike live-updating websites they actually do send their own reporters to matches.

It would be interesting to know from Associated Press why they have taken this decision.

For those in the know or/and League Express readers how are crowds doing this season?

I know the crowd at Widnes last Thursday was poor and thought the Wigan v Leeds seemed a bit lower than in previous years.On the other hand I thought 8K plus at Cas for the visit of Salford was good.Perhaps non televised games on a Sunday get the best results.

No, it's the truth. Every single website this week will report attendances for only two matches, Batley and Castleford. Every single website is lacking the teams and scorers for the London Skolars vs Oxford match. They all listed Thomas Minns as a try scorer for Hull KR when the try was actually scored by Ken Sio. They all erroneously listed Danny Hulme as scoring ten tries last week. This is because they all get their information in real time from the same source. This is not the 1970s. Individual media outlets are not each sending their own reporters out with pens and paper to note down the scorers and attendances. And they are certainly not then being directed by some sort of higher power not to report the crowds as part of a conspiracy to avoid people noticing a 'decline' (which BTW doesn't exist). This thread is frankly laughable. Attendances will probably be in League Express tomorrow if you care that much, because unlike live-updating websites they actually do send their own reporters to matches.

I know that the AP supplies attendances for distribution. However, it is not rocket science for the SL site to receive attendance figures from the clubs themselves. I can't imagine how, in the dark days before LE or the internet, daily newspapers were able to publish every single attendance across all divisions. Clubs would have had to inform the AP directly I would imagine. There were hardly going to be too many journos at Huyton v Bramley in 1984.

This has now stopped. Not only stopped, but stopped when there has been a year-on-year decline in attendances. My view is that clubs are being told from somewhere to change procedure - it doesn't take too much working out.

Hmmmm, LE doesn't seem to have any problems giving attendances - I suspect that this is just laziness by AP who can't be bothered to wait for all the information to become available. The Newcastle - Crusaders gate (926, well done) was on the Crusaders' website by 6.30 last night. Oh, and has anyone got the Saints - Wakey gate?

Same applies to rugby union,cricket and most football league clubs (not Premier League).

No conspiracy,no crisis,nothing to do with the rfl,just another ill informed poster,looking to blame the rfl for something which is totally outside their control.Quite why rl is infected by such posters is beyond me.

I buy The Times every day and this season they only print the scores,no attendances or scorers except for game that Christopher Irvine reports on(that s if there is one-most weeks there is no report,sometimes only a few lines in the sport in brief section.)Still The Times is good for soccer and the Referendum debate.

I don't think there's a conspiracy, just laziness. If you couldn't find them at all then I'd think there was an issue.

Have you ever tried getting a football attendance, they can be much harder.

Australian sport has austadiums.com which is a great resource but even then some games are never declared, especially some union ones.

Same applies to rugby union,cricket and most football league clubs (not Premier League).

No conspiracy,no crisis,nothing to do with the rfl,just another ill informed poster,looking to blame the rfl for something which is totally outside their control.Quite why rl is infected by such posters is beyond me.

If Scubby is classed as a supporter who 'infects' our game, then so am I (neither of us are if you read the majority of our posts). Whilst he may be wrong with his wider press assumption, why is it not on the SL website?

While newspapers will send reporters to big sporting events, the decline in budgets and staffing levels means that a lot of reports you see for other events will be a press release that either goes in 'as is', or gets rewritten a bit to conceal that fact.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If Scubby is classed as a supporter who 'infects' our game, then so am I (neither of us are if you read the majority of our posts). Whilst he may be wrong with his wider press assumption, why is it not on the SL website?

Maybe they're using the same newsfeed as everyone else?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree with Scubby.

Crowd figures should be automatically shown in any review or media post of a game.

It can not be that hard, in the past there have been "rubbery" figures listed but that is better than nothing.

This is not a negative post "Davo" just asking the question as Scubby is.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Bit harsh maybe but the essence is correct.

The independent only has the Cas attendance 8,121 and no union crowds at all.

There is always League Express if you are that keen on crowds. Either delivered to your door or on line.

Archived