BT Sport

No RL content as Sky tied us in to a 5 year deal because they were scared BT were going to poach all their sports and I believe the NRL was - and still is - in a long term deal with Premier around the time it launched.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

BT already have the A league & AFL...they'd be crazy not to go for the NRL too in 2017..not least because it gives them valuable live content in the mornings but also half a dozen or more "RL magazines" shows,footy show,sunday footy show,matty johns show,sterlo's show,NRL fulltime,NRL 360 etc for BT to full its programme guide...

Im actually surprised bt haven't bought all of premier sports...

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

BT aren't really an enticing option for me, because the only sport they currently cover that I'd pay for is MotoGP, and ITV4 carry (or they have done so far) extended highlights of the main race the day after the event.

Balanced against that is the sheer Kafka-esque horror of dealing with BT customer service again. 

But even if Sky hold on to SL rights next time the deal is renewed, I'd definitely like to see BT make a bid, just to drive the price up.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anyone watch this channel? Wondering why there's no Rugby League content on there at all and if they'll bid for TV rights in future.

They weren't given the chance to bid. RFL presented a new Sky deal (2 years before the previous one had ended) without allowing BT to even bid. From memory they gave SL chairmen an hour to think about it before voting. Only Dr K voted against (others have since stated they regret doing so) and hence RL is tied to Sky and BT sport ( which have more viewers than Sky Sport) show no RL.

I watch BT sport because it is free to Virgin media customers.

They weren't given the chance to bid. RFL presented a new Sky deal (2 years before the previous one had ended) without allowing BT to even bid. From memory they gave SL chairmen an hour to think about it before voting. Only Dr K voted against (others have since stated they regret doing so) and hence RL is tied to Sky and BT sport ( which have more viewers than Sky Sport) show no RL.

I watch BT sport because it is free to Virgin media customers.

Do BT Sport have more customers than Sky?

As far as I can figure out, people with BT Broadband currently get the two TV channels free, as do people who have certain cable/satellite contracts, like Virgin.

However, BT have thrown a hell of a lot of money at acquiring broadcasting rights since they launched, so they may well have to start charging. A little at first then, when the Premier League Football contract is up for renewal, a bit more, then a bit more, like Sky.

It'd be very like RL's sort of luck to switch to BT, just as customers have to start paying a premium for it and subscriptions start to fall.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

no.

Sky sport is available by subscription only ( approx 7 million) BT Sport is free to BT broadband customers ( approx 12 million) and virgin media customers ( approx 2 million) and by extra subscription to Sky customers.

Regardless of subscription, BT sport is " free to view" to millions.

BT were not given the opportunity to bid for SL last time, though they stated they would have done so.

From memory Marwan K stated that 1 person in the room seemed to all ready know what was going to be proposed by RFL (he alluded it was Leeds), the others were given 1 hour to decide. He voted against ( stating RL was under valuing itself by not even asking others like BT to bid) rest took money and agreed. Many others subsequently agreed they should have voted no. Another thread talks about the "the rebels" at length, but this was the decision which actually pitted RFL, Leeds, cash strapped clubs against the rest.

Sky sport is available by subscription only ( approx 7 million) BT Sport is free to BT broadband customers ( approx 12 million) and virgin media customers ( approx 2 million) and by extra subscription to Sky customers.

Regardless of subscription, BT sport is " free to view" to millions.

BT were not given the opportunity to bid for SL last time, though they stated they would have done so.

BT sports is no longer free to broadband customers and only free to Virgin TV customers who have the full package. Unless it's been used in an add on in some kind of deal to a virgin customer.

BT sports is no longer free to broadband customers and only free to Virgin TV customers who have the full package. Unless it's been used in an add on in some kind of deal to a virgin customer.

I don't have the full vigin package, yet get can still watch BT sport? I've out of contract for a few months so haven't done any deal recently.

Edit: checked my facts and; free with BT TV, £3month with BT broadband, free with any vigin package L or above.

I don't have the full vigin package, yet get can still watch BT sport? I've out of contract for a few months so haven't done any deal recently.

Edit: checked my facts and; free with BT TV, £3month with BT broadband, free with any vigin package L or above.

Fine so how do the numbers stack up now

Fine so how do the numbers stack up now

Still over 2 million virgin customers and 3 million BT TV customers get it free and approx 1m BT sport subscribers as opposed to approx 6 million Sky sports customers paying £30 per month.

BT out bid Sky by £100m for 50% of RU games, but were not given the option to bid for any RL games. Do you think that was a good commercial deal!

Two things struck me reading this:

Balanced against that is the sheer Kafka-esque horror of dealing with BT customer service again. :angry:  This is magic and why I got rid!

and

"Only Dr K voted against (others have since stated they regret doing so) and hence RL is tied to Sky and BT sport...." whatever you do don't tell those who like to bash MK and Sky on here :O !

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Two things struck me reading this:

Balanced against that is the sheer Kafka-esque horror of dealing with BT customer service again. :angry:  This is magic and why I got rid!

and

"Only Dr K voted against (others have since stated they regret doing so) and hence RL is tied to Sky and BT sport...." whatever you do don't tell those who like to bash MK and Sky on here :O !

Shh about MK, but you don't have to deal with BT, it is a top up package through Sky, virgin or whoever you get you TV via, they add it if you haven't already got it.

Shh about MK, but you don't have to deal with BT, it is a top up package through Sky, virgin or whoever you get you TV via, they add it if you haven't already got it.

That said: NO RL! What kind of a sports channel do you call that?  err a very quiet one if this forum is anything to go by!

And no I won't deal with them I'll get the Good Doctor to do it for me, I'm not daft!

That said: NO RL! What kind of a sports channel do you call that?  err a very quiet one if this forum is anything to go by!

And no I won't deal with them I'll get the Good Doctor to do it for me, I'm not daft!

No RL indeed. The RFL and others in Leeds thought it would be a great idea to give Sky another 5 years, 2 years before their contract was up without even asking others if they would like to bid! A deal which left BT alot of extra money to outbid Sky for RU and and taunche of premiership football and Sky to take all SL and championship matches on the cheap, and show few of them and talk about it even less! Great bit of business all round. But I digress way off topic!

I watch BT sport as I get it free, never have or will pay Sky £30 a month to get a lot of soccer which I'd rather paint the house ( then watch it dry) than watch.

Didnt RU do exactly the same as RL with the Aviva Prem and BT ie. Extend before tgey needed to for more money?

Not sure, but as someone else pointed out Sky like to tell us "they are the home of RU", but both share Aviva games. Sky have a monopoly on RL in the UK (excepting the CC) however.

Back to the topic or this thread will be binned to cross code.

So no RL but have some other perversion of the real thing?

Why are we even talking about BT sport? It must like dropping off the end of the world!

And any way if they want to bid they'll have to get in a bit sharpish won't they?

Judging by my experiences with them the line'll be constantly busy, the RFL will be kept on hold till 2023 and then they'll have to speak to a cross between "i'm sorry I haven't a clue, a phantom referee and jobsworth PLC!"

Not sure, but as someone else pointed out Sky like to tell us "they are the home of RU", but both share Aviva games. Sky have a monopoly on RL in the UK (excepting the CC) however.

Back to the topic or this thread will be binned to cross code.

BT Sport have exclusive rights to the premiership but the European Champions Cup is split between the two (with BT in the first year atleast getting the majority of games involving English sides).

Sky though have the rights to most other Union competitions though with the rights for the Pro 12, RFU championship, Top14, Sevens World Series, all SANZAR competitions and home internationals and the international tests for England, Ireland, France and Italy.

Archived