Park Run

Park run Saturday for me . Last 10 runs have been on or near 23 mins . Two just under the 23min mark . Only 20 secs from a pb.Looking to up my game this year , shed a few kilos , maybe dip under 22mins . Over the winter have managed to bike over 30 miles each week plus park run . Hopefully now the mornings/nights are getting lighter I can up milage , maybe get another run in if kness etc will allow .

Good effort by you on the getting fit plan!  I think a lot of people see park run as a means of getting fit.  I hope you achieve your goals.

I've been a marshal at our local park run for 18 months now and seen the numbers running/jogging/walking steadily increase.  I don't know where yours is held but ours is in a park with a very long slope which provides a challenge - claimed by visiting park runners as one of the toughest they have done.  We have 'brews in the bandstand' afterwards where drinks and biscuits/cakes are offered for free to runners and volunteers.  It's a friendly community thing to do and we have never been short of volunteers to ensure it takes place, so far anyway.  I personally hate running but I liked the thought of a community event actually taking off in St Helens and so got involved as a volunteer.

Edited by Saintslass

Started doing the Park runs a few months ago as a way of getting out of the front door and back into a little running after a few years off. Still did other activities though, but enjoyed a bit of running over the years.

Really enjoy the Park Runs and think it is a fantastic concept. Anyone can take part whether you are serious, just want to be a bit fitter, or just enjoy an hour out on a Saturday morning

PB down from 30 mins in mid November to just over 25 mins last week and my home course has 8 hills. However, its back to the main/original course now after its was closed for 3 months due to the floods, which is a bit flatter. 

Good effort by you on the getting fit plan!  I think a lot of people see park run as a means of getting fit.  I hope you achieve your goals.

I've been a marshal at our local park run for 18 months now and seen the numbers running/jogging/walking steadily increase.  I don't know where yours is held but ours is in a park with a very long slope which provides a challenge - claimed by visiting park runners as one of the toughest they have done.  We have 'brews in the bandstand' afterwards where drinks and biscuits/cakes are offered for free to runners and volunteers.  It's a friendly community thing to do and we have never been short of volunteers to ensure it takes place, so far anyway.  I personally hate running but I liked the thought of a community event actually taking off in St Helens and so got involved as a volunteer.

Well done on been a volunteer . East Park (Hull) is my local pr . Numbers are around the 500 mark most weeks . The course is flat as a pancake with only a few sharp bends = fast course . West Hulls pr is at Pickering park . Humber bridge country parks  run is in an old quarry , complete with a few small hills, nice course . Lots of people have gone on to join local running clubs . Everyone is made welcome from people taking an hour or more to the fast lads and ladies .

I had to call it a day with park runs as it was doing my knees in. I even went to my GP who said I have early onset arthritis, which was a bit of a shock.

I've joined a gym and now do cross-trainer and kettle-bells to keep fit and lose some lard. I'm 9.5 pounds lighter since joining and to be honest the knees are feeling better too.

Good luck with the park runs, I managed 12 before I had to call it a day and was enjoying trying to keep beating my PB.

• Like 1

I started running last June and have steadily built up.

DId the great South run in October which was 10 miles and have just completed the Fleet Half Marathon (slowly!!) - Reading Half next Sunday, 2 castles run between Warwick and Kenilworth in June (10K), followed by Royal Parks half marathon in October

Did one Park Run in Basingstoke but didn;t enjoy it and usually have to take my lad to footy on Saturday mornings.

2 stone lighter for all the running so chuffed with that!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Well done on been a volunteer . East Park (Hull) is my local pr . Numbers are around the 500 mark most weeks . The course is flat as a pancake with only a few sharp bends = fast course . West Hulls pr is at Pickering park . Humber bridge country parks  run is in an old quarry , complete with a few small hills, nice course . Lots of people have gone on to join local running clubs . Everyone is made welcome from people taking an hour or more to the fast lads and ladies .

We can only dream of attracting 500 to a park run!  We now regularly get 200; that rose to 250 in the weeks leading up to the St Helens 10K but the numbers have dropped back to 200 since then. 

Officially it's parkrun - one word no capitals!

My home run is Rother Valley - single loop and really flat - unusual for South Yorkshire. I've done 104 so far at 23 different venues and am helping set up a new one at Poolsbrook near Chesterfield. I'm not near a PB at the moment (it's 22.45) but am training for a 30 mile Ultra at the moment so endurance beats pace right now. I've also volunteered over 50 times.

We've steadily risen from 50 runners when we started to about 200 now - in some ways I like the smaller numbers because you get to know everyone - we've made some really good friends as a result. My best memory is running with Bailey Matthews at both Rother Valley and Clumber Park. A true inspiration. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, tim2, my parkrun PB was off the back of marathon training and was set 6 days after half-marathon PB. Running 40+ slow miles per week for a couple of months seemingly does more for my parkrun pace than any amount of intervals etc.

Henage, generally reckoned that all else being equal, losing 1kg is worth about 15s on a parkrun for someone at ~22min pace.

Figures look good to me ,my trouble is if its not moving I will eat it .

Along with pr i Have been out on bike covering about 30miles a week , plus done 3 or 4 du - athlons , run - cycle - run . Enjoyed doing them , can feel the burn in the legs .

FWIW, tim2, my parkrun PB was off the back of marathon training and was set 6 days after half-marathon PB. Running 40+ slow miles per week for a couple of months seemingly does more for my parkrun pace than any amount of intervals etc.

Henage, generally reckoned that all else being equal, losing 1kg is worth about 15s on a parkrun for someone at ~22min pace.

I need to lose 4kg - the problem with Ultra training is that it makes me really hungry and I overeat.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Mrs Moose is an avid parkrunner mainly doing her local one but once a month herself and a few mates try out a different one that's within striking distance. She loves them more for the comeraderie rather than the actual run, she prefers longer distances. One of the most scenic courses where I've accompanied her has to be the one at Sewerby near Bridlington. She also speaks highly of the Rother valley course.

As an aside last Sunday she completed the Manchester marathon in just over four hours, although a decent time she was a bit miffed because a few minutes quicker would have given her automatic qualification, (time for age) in the London marathon.

Sounds like someone trying to cash in on this which is a real shame as by being free it encourages people to do something healthy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-36014525

Disgraceful and incredibly short-sighted

Does Council Tax not pay for upkeep of parks?

New parkrun started in Dalby forest , Near Pickering .

Charge for parking is £7 for the day but parkrunners pay £2 (Private road)

Take your bikes and spend the day , some great off road tracks that are nearly all traffic free . Within striking distance for Whitby/ Scarbrough .

Toilets , bike hire , cafe , river , lake , man made extreme bits , easy - hard trails . Well worth a look .

Hopefully they will charge all those fitness classes too.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The whole thing has very quickly become something of a cause celebre on Twitter with #Keepparkrunfree now trending. It was also a feature on the BBC Breakfast news this morning. The representative from Little Stoke parish council was unrepentant. The BBC Breakfast story says there will be no more Park Runs in Little Stoke.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."