Park Run

Will be doing Hilly Fields. I run regularly but do Parkrun every 2/3 weeks.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Hastings again. Fifth time this year, I think.

I’m also doing the Hastings Runners 5M tomorrow. Seemed like a good idea when signing up.

The issue for Hastings park run is that it does totally block the seafront path if not well marshalled and some of the volunteers (and some of the runner to be fair) are better at getting that sorted than others.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I've just started doing the Woodhouse Moor run in Leeds these past few weeks to try and improve my general unfitness (which is partly due to being a student with 6 hours contact time and pub nearby, but also due to illness!) hoping just to improve and be able to be fit enough for rugby again by September/October. Really enjoyed the runs I've done and found it far more enjoyable than running alone, even if I'm running with total strangers.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 8:11 PM, stimpo-and-kat said:

Should do park run a lot more than i do. However done white peak trail run today. 

16 miles through derbyshire dales then took dog on a 10 miler so will let myself off

Is that an organised event or just a signposted trail? I do a fair amount of running and love going out into the peaks district but tend not to combine the 2 as I don't like carrying a map and stopping to navigate and there is only so many times you can run on old railway lines!

4 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Is that an organised event or just a signposted trail? I do a fair amount of running and love going out into the peaks district but tend not to combine the 2 as I don't like carrying a map and stopping to navigate and there is only so many times you can run on old railway lines!

It was an organised event. Well signposted and well organised 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Sure you are aware, but there are loads of well-organised, signposted and marshalled trail running races/events across the country, plenty in the Peak District

https://www.sientries.co.uk/     is one source

I tend to walk most of an off-road route before running them, as like yourself I don't want to be navv-ing mid-run

I've never really got into Park Runs like some people.I guess 5K is just not my distance.

• Like 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

40 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Sure you are aware, but there are loads of well-organised, signposted and marshalled trail running races/events across the country, plenty in the Peak District

https://www.sientries.co.uk/     is one source

I tend to walk most of an off-road route before running them, as like yourself I don't want to be navv-ing mid-run

Thanks Shaun, I'll have a look and definitely try and get out onto an organised event.

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Not done a park run for about 2 years but  still run. The reason was work but I have changed jobs and get more weekends free now so might well do one again. I'm doing the 3 peaks walk in a while too.

You will love the 3 peaks walk.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

6 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Thanks Shaun, I'll have a look and definitely try and get out onto an organised event.

SI Entries don't have everything listed, so also look at 

http://northernrunningguide.com/   (think Peak District qualifies as north)

https://www.timeoutdoors.com/

Some events are quite expensive, but you get the organisation and marshalling, water & jelly babies en route, and maybe a t-shirt or a medal

Edited by shaun mc

41 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

SI Entries don't have everything listed, so also look at 

http://northernrunningguide.com/   (think Peak District qualifies as north)

https://www.timeoutdoors.com/

Some events are quite expensive, but you get the organisation and marshalling, water & jelly babies en route, and maybe a t-shirt or a medal

Also try bookitzone.com

• Like 1

Or try one of the easier fell races if you have the legs. Much cheaper to enter - as low as £4 - and some 'different' prizes. At a fell race last week one of the prizes was a bottle of screenwash!

16 hours ago, Johnoco said:

You find it too easy or what?

No far from it - exactly as Stimpo says, I like to settle in to a run and find my rhythm - I also find it's a big part of the day for a 5k run when I could run from my house and do about 3 times the distance.

That said, I do like doing new venues at least once, just for the crack like!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

8 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

No far from it - exactly as Stimpo says, I like to settle in to a run and find my rhythm - I also find it's a big part of the day for a 5k run when I could run from my house and do about 3 times the distance.

That said, I do like doing new venues at least once, just for the crack like!

I like to run alone mainly because I also settle and find my own rhythm.

Like many I wear something that records my pace and time. The fastest first kilometre I ever recorded was the first time I did park run. My naturally competitive nature meant I found it very difficult to pace myself at first; I slowed considerably but still posted an improved time than usual. For this reason I still do it now and again.

9 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

I've done a few marathons (and ultras), but still try and do parkrun every week, getting close to the 250 mark. Nice chance to catch up with people, sometimes I run with my wife or kids, sometimes I'll actually race against a friend.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

I prefer running on my own as well; removes competitiveness!

Currently in training (not going well!) for the Lakes 50-mile Ultramarathon on 28/29 July;  a glutton for punishment!

Same here - as I end up tearing off way too quickly in trail races

Well done on getting into the Lakeland 50 

Am doing a half marathon early July - first one for 20 years, but its off-road not tarmac

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Jesus wept. 

Bored on Saturday afternoon so i thought id go for a jog. My first in over 3 years id say. In 35 degrees temperature, 10.7 k nearly killed me. 85mins. 85 mins!!! A lot of work to do. 

I started running again about 3/4 weeks ago.

I must be the only person in the UK who wants our spell of good weather to end. I just can't run in any sort of heat, it magnifies the pain threefold. I'd rather eat my own feet than run in 35 degree heat.

I put it down to years of running early mornings mostly in winter and being naturally warm blooded. 

I love Park Run. I've been doing it at Thornes Park in Wakefield for about 18 months - this past weekend was my 56th (in addition to a handful of volunteering weeks) and I hate that it is not on this weekend coming!

I'm not the fastest - until relatively recently I was the slowest. Started by walking round in just over 52 minutes. Set my PB a few weeks ago by doing a jog-walk-stagger combination at 39:11. You should have seen the celebrations when it was clear I'd got below 40 minutes! And not just from me either.

Park Run is one of the most positive things in society right now. Don't know what I'd do without it.

• Like 5