Park Run

2 hours ago, Dunedan said:

I love Park Run. I've been doing it at Thornes Park in Wakefield for about 18 months - this past weekend was my 56th (in addition to a handful of volunteering weeks) and I hate that it is not on this weekend coming!

I'm not the fastest - until relatively recently I was the slowest. Started by walking round in just over 52 minutes. Set my PB a few weeks ago by doing a jog-walk-stagger combination at 39:11. You should have seen the celebrations when it was clear I'd got below 40 minutes! And not just from me either.

Park Run is one of the most positive things in society right now. Don't know what I'd do without it.

If it's not on at Thornes, try to get to another one. Nostell, Ponte, Barnsley...

I love parkrun tourism - I've done 52 different parkruns (189 total). Last Saturday was a lovely one in the National Forest at Rosliston in South Derbyshire.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I really enjoy being a parkrun tourist. My 5k PB was set on what must be the fastest course there is in Rouen. It is pan flat on the banks of the Seine and on nice hard concrete. Whilst it is a very pretty town (another one for the France thread) the run isn't picturesque but it is quick and and handily placed for those heading back to the ferries in Calais.

58 minutes ago, henage said:

Gdansk Poland for me September , looking forward to heading over .

Might even take my wet suit bit of a surfing vibe going on there .

Plus amber on the beaches , who doesn't like a bit of fossil hunting .

Don't go creating any dinosaurs from it. I saw a documentary yesterday about that and it was really frightening.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Don't go creating any dinosaurs from it. I saw a documentary yesterday about that and it was really frightening.

Only going for a long weekend , probably just stick to a few beers lol

Managed a PB on a very challenging 10k course at the weekend of 52:39

It started at Warwick Castle and finished at Kenilworth Castle - really great event!

• Like 3

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:41 PM, stimpo-and-kat said:

Signed up last night to the Railway Ultra. 4x 9.4 mile laps on an out and back course. 7 weeks to go.

Or so I thought! Crash on this mornings commute has given me a second collarbone break so no exercise for 8 weeks or so

• Sad 1

I'm doing the 24 hour Endure 24 next week in a team of 7 - no training, no fitness. It's been nice knowing you all!

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

I'm doing the 24 hour Endure 24 next week in a team of 7 - no training, no fitness. It's been nice knowing you all!

Here lies Tim2, and he's bloody exhausted ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 5/25/2018 at 1:19 PM, shaun mc said:

Same here - as I end up tearing off way too quickly in trail races

Well done on getting into the Lakeland 50 

Am doing a half marathon early July - first one for 20 years, but its off-road not tarmac

Thanks. 

Training had been going on until a couple of weeks ago; did 16-mile over Cross Fell (893m). But woke up the next morning in bits with back spasms... so a trip to the physio was in order who laughed at how tight all my muscle groupings were! Back out running yesterday though with a gentle 7-miler round Stoke Park in Bristol. 

Which half are you running? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Thanks. 

Training had been going on until a couple of weeks ago; did 16-mile over Cross Fell (893m). But woke up the next morning in bits with back spasms... so a trip to the physio was in order who laughed at how tight all my muscle groupings were! Back out running yesterday though with a gentle 7-miler round Stoke Park in Bristol. 

Which half are you running? 

Its around Borrowdale in 2 weeks - start on the west side of Derwent water and then finish in Keswick. 

Did a 10k race last night, some of which was on the Whinlatter Park Run course (which has the most ascent of any Park Run in the UK). Loads of uphill (to near the top of Seat How at 495m) /descent. Midges were horrendous, bitten all over

On 6/25/2018 at 1:25 PM, henage said:

Anyone been doing the GO - TRI events on a Sunday ?

Think they might vary area to area the Hull one is 2k run 5k bike 1k run , gets the heart pumping , very enjoyable .

Did one of the local ones last year down in Stoke. 200m swim, 10km ride and think 2.5km run. Finished about 10th despite being last out of the pool from my wave. Took just over 45 mins.

• Like 1