Park Run

Just run the Yorkshire Three Peaks today; 25.3 miles - pretty warm in places at around 26C. It massively took its toll going up Ingleborough as I had nothing left in the tank. Ended up completing it in 7hrs; a lot slower than my previous effort in 2012 (5hrs 45mins). I might not wake up in the morning... ?

• Like 3

I survived the Bramham Park Endure24, although my knee was in poor shape after 3 mile loops (12pm, 7pm and 2am) and I decided not to do a fourth lap. Still, that's 11 miles more than I've managed for months. Time for a little jog later to check out the knee then back to parkrun on Saturday.

We took 2 teams - our first team finished 6th out of 85 mixed teams with 7 runners doing 165 miles between them. Our team of 6, including 2 people with injuries, did 125. One of the guys in the quicker team did parkrun in 19 minutes on Saturday morning then ran 5x5 mile loops in an average of 33 minutes per loop.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

23 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I survived the Bramham Park Endure24, although my knee was in poor shape after 3 mile loops (12pm, 7pm and 2am) and I decided not to do a fourth lap. Still, that's 11 miles more than I've managed for months. Time for a little jog later to check out the knee then back to parkrun on Saturday.

We took 2 teams - our first team finished 6th out of 85 mixed teams with 7 runners doing 165 miles between them. Our team of 6, including 2 people with injuries, did 125. One of the guys in the quicker team did parkrun in 19 minutes on Saturday morning then ran 5x5 mile loops in an average of 33 minutes per loop.

Im tempted to do it next year. Either as a pair or solo.

First time volunteering this weekend. If you’re doing the Hastings run stay off the cycle path on the top prom bottleneck, it’ll make my life easier.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, stimpo-and-kat said:

Im tempted to do it next year. Either as a pair or solo.

3 of my friends went solo this year - two of them did 65 miles and the third dropped out with injury at 30.

The first solo man did 130 miles.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Now its not whether he'll break the record but by how much - about an hour ahead

1 summit to go then the run into Keswick

Billy Bland finished the equivalent of 19:58

• 2 weeks later...

I've been going long and slow this year (not that my fast is quick!), but ended up going for it a bit last Saturday and getting a new PB. I did the Prudhoe park run, West of Newcastle. I'd recommend it if anyone is in the area, nice run and good atmosphere. 

I'm debating either the marathon or half marathon at kielder forest in October. Has anyone done either before? I can't imagine that they are easy.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I'm debating either the marathon or half marathon at kielder forest in October. Has anyone done either before? I can't imagine that they are easy.

Yep - the marathon back in 2014. It was hard; very different to a normal marathon as it’s all on trail. There’s a very tough hill about 23 miles in which I found an absolute killer after struggling for about 6 miles before with a bad back. If you haven’t run a marathon before, do the half as Kielder is not the best option for your first attempt at a full one. I did however, enjoy it, especially the scenery, but then I am a bit nuts when it comes to stuff like this. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Yep - the marathon back in 2014. It was hard; very different to a normal marathon as it’s all on trail. There’s a very tough hill about 23 miles in which I found an absolute killer after struggling for about 6 miles before with a bad back. If you haven’t run a marathon before, do the half as Kielder is not the best option for your first attempt at a full one. I did however, enjoy it, especially the scenery, but then I am a bit nuts when it comes to stuff like this. 

I was hoping for a challenge but that sound like possibly a bit too much of one at the moment. Half marathon it is then, probably. 

17 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I was hoping for a challenge but that sound like possibly a bit too much of one at the moment. Half marathon it is then, probably. 

It really depends; it was my wife’s first marathon and she got herself round in a very respectable 5hrs 15mins. She found it very hard and a few folk thought she was nuts attempting it as her first. But it is doable but don’t expect any PBs and not to hurt for a few days! ?

Edited by GeordieSaint

10 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

It really depends; it was my wife’s first marathon and she got herself round in a very respectable 5hrs 15mins. She found it very hard and a few folk thought she was nuts attempting it as her first. But it is doable but don’t expect any PBs and not to hurt for a few days! ?

I was originally planning on doing my first marathon next month but unfortunately a change of job means I can't now do it so looking for something to replace it. I'm not sure how much time for training I'll get in now so it might be best to opt for the half and aim for a full next spring.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a good think about it.

47 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I was originally planning on doing my first marathon next month but unfortunately a change of job means I can't now do it so looking for something to replace it. I'm not sure how much time for training I'll get in now so it might be best to opt for the half and aim for a full next spring.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a good think about it.

All the best whatever you decide. The half marathon will still be a great challenge and fantastic place to run.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well. I really enjoyed that. 10k in the mud on a tough course; lots of gradient and tough terain, including a massive swampy bit of grass which i really did get excited about. It even rained to make me feel at home.

Egg sarnies and watching the NRL from the pool as a reward. 

• Like 4

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

Well. I really enjoyed that. 10k in the mud on a tough course; lots of gradient and tough terain, including a massive swampy bit of grass which i really did get excited about. It even rained to make me feel at home.

Egg sarnies and watching the NRL from the pool as a reward. 

Well done mate, and sounds like you've enjoyed it. I run better in the rain and mud rather than the recent hot, dry conditions. My best run was in minus 2, snowing and also in the dark (can't see the hills!)

Where was the event?

• Like 1