Park Run

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Doing a 10k around Beckenham at 11.02 on Sunday, should be fun. Hoping to get round under 52 mins.

That was my target on Saturday. Couldn't believe I broke 50 but there is something about running round strangers that makes me go faster. I find it very hard judging pace. 

3 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Doing a 10k around Beckenham at 11.02 on Sunday, should be fun. Hoping to get round under 52 mins.

I'm running the remembrance 10k on Portsdown hill on Saturday.

It's my first actual proper competitive event in 3 years and the first proper outing since my Heart was rebooted. Nervous as a nervous thing but looking forward to it immensely.

Anything under 1 hour and I'll be ecstatic. 

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 3

Meh. You're all missing the big event this week.

Tiny Ginger returns to his old school *who dropped him from their running team* to take part in the annual East Sussex cross country event there. Obviously, I've told him to just do his best and it doesn't matter about beating the teachers who decided to drop him. Obviously, he and I know that's absolute ######.

2.5k. And if he can't win by fair means then Mrs Ginger and I will be there to ensure victory through cheating.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

56 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I'm running the remembrance 10k on Portsdown hill on Saturday.

It's my first actual proper competitive event in 3 years and the first proper outing since my Heart was rebooted. Nervous as a nervous thing but looking forward to it immensely.

Anything under 1 hour and I'll be ecstatic. 

Good to see you at it. Crack on old lad x 

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 11/6/2018 at 1:17 PM, Just Browny said:

52 minutes wasn't on, sadly. Very hilly course - not a problem in itself as I quite like running uphill, but the downhills were so slippy from the rain that I feel lucky not to have hit the deck. 57 minutes - pleased with myself.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I ran the Amager Faelled parkrun in Copenhagen yesterday. Lovely course and friendly people. Parkrun #205 and event #56.

• Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

This seems to be the only place on the internet where I haven't put up a massive boast about breaking 24 minutes in a parkrun.

Until now.

I did, you know. Under 24 minutes. Come back here, I've got to describe it to you ...

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

I ran the Amager Faelled parkrun in Copenhagen yesterday. Lovely course and friendly people. Parkrun #205 and event #56.

You could have let me know and said hello!

I was actually in Berlin, but y'know.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

This seems to be the only place on the internet where I haven't put up a massive boast about breaking 24 minutes in a parkrun.

Until now.

I did, you know. Under 24 minutes. Come back here, I've got to describe it to you ...

Deleted as I was being a knob.

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

44 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

You could have let me know and said hello!

I was actually in Berlin, but y'know.

I'll probably be there again

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Up to today, my Parkrun range was restricted to three parks in South East London.

But, taking inspiration from our intrepid Parkrun adventurers @tim2 and @henage, today I added Florence to my list of runs managed. Sadly, I somewhat underestimated the distance to the startline from my hotel, so by the time I started I had already jogged 4km, accounting for my slightly disappointing time on what was otherwise a fast and enjoyable course.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 11/11/2018 at 5:14 PM, Bob8 said:

Deleted as I was being a knob.

Under 23.30 today so y'know, if you want another go ...

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Under 23.30 today so y'know, if you want another go ...

Do not tempt me.  I am often a knob.

Wimbledon Common for me today.Folowed by a 5K run back to the house where I'm staying.

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Mrs Moose ran the inaugural Potternewton Park run in Leeds yesterday. She is well on her way to three hundred park runs and if that's not enough today she's up in the dales competing in a cross country race.

Running is addictive.

Escape from Meriden is over. Sad to say I didn’t last the full 24 hours by called it a day at 7.30pm last night after 19.5 hours running. Covered 55 miles and ended up in Ashley, Staffordshire. Started to suffer with blisters around 6am so running repairs took their toll and compensating on my foot position to avoid making blisters worse gave me searing pain in the hips, then followed thigh pain so by early afternoon we were down to a walk. My team mates went on without me though after I’d got in the car and covered 63 miles before calling it quits around 9.30pm

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, stimpo-and-kat said:

Escape from Meriden is over. Sad to say I didn’t last the full 24 hours by called it a day at 7.30pm last night after 19.5 hours running. Covered 55 miles and ended up in Ashley, Staffordshire. Started to suffer with blisters around 6am so running repairs took their toll and compensating on my foot position to avoid making blisters worse gave me searing pain in the hips, then followed thigh pain so by early afternoon we were down to a walk. My team mates went on without me though after I’d got in the car and covered 63 miles before calling it quits around 9.30pm

Still a good effort.

11 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Still a good effort.

Good effort doesn't really cover it!

I did 100km in 2007 and remember spending the last 20 miles thinking "I'm never doing this again." I think blisters and leg pain will heal up faster than mental scars ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Copa said:

I did 10k in 44 minutes a few years ago but really bad plantar fasciitis put an end to my running. I still really miss it and wonder if I should sign up to my local park run but I’m worried the pain will return.

Plantar fasciitis should be reasonably preventable - arch strengthening exercises etc. Once you've got it, it does seem to be one of those things that takes forever to heal though.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Good effort doesn't really cover it!

I did 100km in 2007 and remember spending the last 20 miles thinking "I'm never doing this again." I think blisters and leg pain will heal up faster than mental scars ?

Classic British understatement by me.

• Haha 2

Thanks guys. 

Part of the toughness of this race is a lack of finishing line. I’d been thinking about withdrawing for a few miles. Burst into tears when I told my team mates and crew that I was calling it quits. The whole emotion of the event and everything we’d gone through from route recces and prep to the 19 hours of racing and it was over

• Like 1

I am actually quite nippy.  My 10K is 37min 30sec, and a half marathon speed around one hour forty when I was very hungover.  I actually looked very broad against the people I would finish with, rather than looking slim on the rugby pitch, and that I was in an old pair of trainers and tatty T-shirt meant I was rather demoralising for those around me.

I cannot say I ever really got the bug though.  I could have trained properly and been good, but never great.