Park Run

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There’s a very good chance that Hastings park run is getting too big for its current route. The national cycle route and main prom in St Leonards are effectively blocked for an hour or so  every Saturday despite the best efforts of marshals and runners.

I think parkrun would prefer to have 4 events of 100 rather than 1 of 400. The problems are venues and volunteers. As they have found at Sheffield Hallam (average 700) even the presence of a couple of smaller events in the city doesn't tempt people away from their usual venue, once it's established. Hallam probably wouldn't be allowed now as they run on the public pavement for quite a distance.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

24 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I think parkrun would prefer to have 4 events of 100 rather than 1 of 400. The problems are venues and volunteers. As they have found at Sheffield Hallam (average 700) even the presence of a couple of smaller events in the city doesn't tempt people away from their usual venue, once it's established. Hallam probably wouldn't be allowed now as they run on the public pavement for quite a distance.

Yes. It would make sense for their to be one in Bexhill at least but all the Bexhill runners seem to enjoy coming to Hastings.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Manchester to Liverpool ultra done on Friday. Horrific weather so finished the 50 miles in around 13hrs 20. Stomach wasn’t right before the start so was diving into toilets where I coulda eventually settled between Warrington and Widnes but way too warm to push on. The tarmac Liverpool loop line path was soul destroying from Speke to Aintree. Would have been better in cooler weather. Day off yesterday and a steady 14 miles on the trails down today to loosen off

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, stimpo-and-kat said:

Manchester to Liverpool ultra done on Friday. Horrific weather so finished the 50 miles in around 13hrs 20. Stomach wasn’t right before the start so was diving into toilets where I coulda eventually settled between Warrington and Widnes but way too warm to push on. The tarmac Liverpool loop line path was soul destroying from Speke to Aintree. Would have been better in cooler weather. Day off yesterday and a steady 14 miles on the trails down today to loosen off

What was the route?

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 09:44, gingerjon said:

Yes. It would make sense for their to be one in Bexhill at least but all the Bexhill runners seem to enjoy coming to Hastings.

There.

Just a pity they don't stay and spend some money here.

• 4 months later...

Completed two Parkruns in Northern Ireland while I was over for my annual summer jaunt.

The first was a new one in Strabane that recently featured in a documentary on the BBC with Kelly Holmes. Was interesting to see a new one starting out with about 60/70 attending. Wasn't the best course and was in fact around a High School building; it isn't helped by the lack of a park in Strabane. I 

The second was in Derry and was a lovely route along the river and over the peace bridge. This one is well established and has about 120 regular runners, but in the early days numbers dropped to around 20/30. It must've been pretty demoralising, but in my experience Parkruns tend to see a large drop off before they slowly build to a regular base. Hopefully, Strabane stick with it and end up with an equally established event.

Perhaps the best bit was the free tea and nibbles they put on in Strabane and the slice of cake they gave you as you crossed the line in Derry. You can't beat the Irish for hospitality!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

This one is well established and has about 120 regular runners, but in the early days numbers dropped to around 20/30. It must've been pretty demoralising, but in my experience Parkruns tend to see a large drop off before they slowly build to a regular base.

Nah, I love the fact that I've had a second place finish (and am quite often in the top 10) at my new local (small on numbers) parkrun. At Cambridge, I'd be doing well to be in the top 100 finishers.

45 minutes ago, JonM said:

Nah, I love the fact that I've had a second place finish (and am quite often in the top 10) at my new local (small on numbers) parkrun. At Cambridge, I'd be doing well to be in the top 100 finishers.

I got a 3rd place earlier this year in Tucson, Arizona. Out of 32.

I think quite a few new parkruns will be smaller. I prefer the small ones, so much more sociable.

I've now done 236 runs, with the ETA for the green t-shirt being December.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 minute ago, tim2 said:

I've now done 236 runs, with the ETA for the green t-shirt being December.

ETA for my next t-shirt is autumn 2024, based on my current rate of ~40 runs per year.

Not sure my new parkrun is more sociable. Cambridge has a nice cafe which encourages people to stick around at the end and chat - made quite a lot of friends there. My new one is 3 laps of fields, with no facilities, so nothing to build the social aspect.

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

ETA for my next t-shirt is autumn 2024, based on my current rate of ~40 runs per year.

Not sure my new parkrun is more sociable. Cambridge has a nice cafe which encourages people to stick around at the end and chat - made quite a lot of friends there. My new one is 3 laps of fields, with no facilities, so nothing to build the social aspect.

Yes, you need the cafe.

5 hours ago, glossop saint said:

New 5k pb today! But I forgot my barcode. So presumably doesn't count. Going to need to up my game again and DON'T FORGET YOUR BARCODE! 

My PB is an 'unknown' too. I took a picture though so I'd remember. 

1650272608_Screenshot_20181013-123623_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.df1e70a0f73351112d7691275510a65c.jpg

Yes, even with my PB I couldn't keep up with an 11 year old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, glossop saint said:

I've no doubt that he sat on your heels the whole way round and outsprinted you. ?

I tend to go off fast and then hang on, so after the first kilometre I generally get overtook for the last four.

At my last Parkrun in Derry, I overtook a young lad (17-19) who had given up and was walking. I'm not gonna lie, I felt a little smug about it, showing this young buck how it's done. To my not-insignificant annoyance, he overtook me again on the line.

This moment, including my disbelief, was the photo they got of me and then posted on Facebook. If it wasn't tragic it'd be funny.

6 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I tend to go off fast and then hang on, so after the first kilometre I generally get overtook for the last four.

At my last Parkrun in Derry, I overtook a young lad (17-19) who had given up and was walking. I'm not gonna lie, I felt a little smug about it, showing this young buck how it's done. To my not-insignificant annoyance, he overtook me again on the line.

This moment, including my disbelief, was the photo they got of me and then posted on Facebook. If it wasn't tragic it'd be funny.

*rushes off to check the Derry parkrun photo page*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Mrs Moose completed her 250 Park-run on Saturday. Today she ran in a long distance challenge event at York racecourse. To qualify for her running clubs ‘colours’ she had to stay in the race for a minimum of 6 hours and run a minimum of 34 miles. 

She’s been in bed, asleep since 9:00pm ?

• Like 6

I've completed 90 runs now so well set for my 100 target this year.  

I volunteer at a rate of 10% my runs.  Scanning this week.

My last volunteer stint on tokens was a mess.  With another guy we mixed the token order somehow.  Results came out after a lot of work and adjustment at 4:30pm which is a PB as slowest results issued at that PR!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My 4 year old grandson receives his first junior parkrun wristband today, which will be his 12th 2K run. He's also done 2 full parkruns but it's a bit much for him boredom wise, not physically.

Meanwhile I'm closing in on 250, ETA is December.

• Like 3

On 01/09/2019 at 09:31, Maximus Decimus said:

I ran a 10K once where a teenager kept stopping to walk, then sprinting, then walking. I kept the same pace and we must have overtaken each other 10 times in the last (uphill) kilometer. Of course he beat me on the sprint finish.

11 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Did you get to run, and quick or steady?

I did.  We ended up at York instead so given it is something like the 4th flattest so I had to go for it really.  I got a new pb which I was chuffed with but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a run unless you want to go fast.  It is on the access road of York racecourse so is very fast but very difficult mentally as there is nothing to distract you and you can see the whole circuit stretching out in front of you!

• Like 1