Park Run

40 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I did.  We ended up at York instead so given it is something like the 4th flattest so I had to go for it really.  I got a new pb which I was chuffed with but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a run unless you want to go fast.  It is on the access road of York racecourse so is very fast but very difficult mentally as there is nothing to distract you and you can see the whole circuit stretching out in front of you!

I like it - nice fast course, as you say. Heslington (on York University campus) is also pretty quick.

3 hours ago, JonM said:

I like it - nice fast course, as you say. Heslington (on York University campus) is also pretty quick.

Lads been doing the 5k race series around the cycle track . 1st Thursday (could be Tuesday )of the month . Well run , results straight after you finish .

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, henage said:

Lads been doing the 5k race series around the cycle track . 1st Thursday (could be Tuesday )of the month . Well run , results straight after you finish .

Looks like they have a website too. I'll have to tell my son about that - he runs with York AC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ran Northampton (racecourse) yesterday.

I had no idea there was an historic racecourse there.  It was a big, flat loop, but not quick for me!

Happy fifteenth birthday parkrun!

Edited by Charlie RL

I celebrated the 15th birthday with a run at Faelledparken in Copenhagen. It's the second time I've done that one and, despite being 5 kg overweight (again) I beat my previous time. I need to get some more running in and, like Martyn Sadler, lay off the biscuits.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 23/02/2020 at 12:02, Charlie RL said:

I was a parkrun tourist at Pontefract yesterday.  Great hosts and a privilege to run the racecourse circuit.  A few long drags and quite tough going!?

Don’t you mean the going was Soft with Heavy patches ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moose said:

According to Mrs Moose tomorrow is the first ever Park Run on February 29th.

Yep. There are some people aiming to have run a parkrun on all 366 days of the year and Feb 29th won't be on Saturday again until 2048. There must be quite a few trains going unspotted on Saturday mornings with all these various parkrun challenges being chased (alphabets, stopwatch bingo and so on...) Harmless fun I suppose.

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Yep. There are some people aiming to have run a parkrun on all 366 days of the year and Feb 29th won't be on Saturday again until 2048. There must be quite a few trains going unspotted on Saturday mornings with all these various parkrun challenges being chased (alphabets, stopwatch bingo and so on...) Harmless fun I suppose.

Good job Mrs Moose is running it tomorrow then, in 2048 she’ll be............. erm, old.

47 minutes ago, Moose said:

Good job Mrs Moose is running it tomorrow then, in 2048 she’ll be............. erm, old.

Yes. I'll be in my late seventies then. A couple of the lads I sometimes have a coffee with after parkrun are in their late seventies, very much hope to be still running at that age like they are, but probably best not to count on it.

Couple of parkruns already cancelled for tomorrow round here due to flooding.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Yes. I'll be in my late seventies then. A couple of the lads I sometimes have a coffee with after parkrun are in their late seventies, very much hope to be still running at that age like they are, but probably best not to count on it.

Couple of parkruns already cancelled for tomorrow round here due to flooding.

I'll be 86. If I'm alive then I'll be happy enough, if I'm still doing parkrun it will be a miracle.

As a sad mathematician I looked up the "stopwatch bingo" stats to see how long, on average, it would take you to get every "second" number in your parkrun time (0 to 59). Assuming you aren't chasing them and it's actually random, it's called the coupon collector's problem and the average number of runs to achieve this is 281. I'm currently on 261 runs with 1 number to collect (33). Last week I actually got 28.33 on my watch but my time came in at 28.44. I think there was a cockup with the results but I'll not be chasing them about it!!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

29 minutes ago, tim2 said:

As a sad mathematician I looked up the "stopwatch bingo" stats to see how long, on average, it would take you to get every "second" number in your parkrun time (0 to 59). Assuming you aren't chasing them and it's actually random, it's called the coupon collector's problem and the average number of runs to achieve this is 281. I'm currently on 261 runs with 1 number to collect (33). Last week I actually got 28.33 on my watch but my time came in at 28.44. I think there was a cockup with the results but I'll not be chasing them about it!!

Got the stopwatch bingo a day before finding out that there was such a thing - would have been somewhere around 280 runs at the time. 

I'd like to have ticked off all of the finish positions between 1 and 99, still missing about a dozen of them (and I suspect #1 might be quite tricky to get.)

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

Got the stopwatch bingo a day before finding out that there was such a thing - would have been somewhere around 280 runs at the time. 

I'd like to have ticked off all of the finish positions between 1 and 99, still missing about a dozen of them (and I suspect #1 might be quite tricky to get.)

You need to seek out the smaller parkruns - getting sent to prison may help.

3rd is my highest finish, out of 30 odd at Himmel parkrun in Arizona.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tim2 said:

You need to seek out the smaller parkruns - getting sent to prison may help.

I suspect the average prison inmate is a good bit younger than me, and probably a good bit faster tbh.

My new local parkrun is often fewer than 50 people, so I've had a few top 5 finishes, but no higher than 2nd. 

10 hours ago, JonM said:

I suspect the average prison inmate is a good bit younger than me, and probably a good bit faster tbh.

My new local parkrun is often fewer than 50 people, so I've had a few top 5 finishes, but no higher than 2nd. 

Most prison runs have fewer than 20 and many have fewer than 10. Some are a lot of laps as well!

From the regular parkrun stats page of Elliot Line - for those interested in the sheer scale of parkrun - the UK weather is hampering numbers right now, causing a number of cancellations.

In the UK there were 575 parkruns, 124,024 parkrunners and 13,210 volunteers, plus any pending results,
Worldwide there were 1,539 parkruns plus 274 junior parkruns, and the worldwide parkrun population was 267,090 parkrunners and 29,404 volunteers, plus any pending results,

22883 people got their parkrun barcode this week
12270 people became parkrunners this week
1286 parkrunners joined the 50 club
688 parkrunners joined the 100 club
109 parkrunners joined the 250 club
4 parkrunners joined the 500 club
323 parkrunners joined the v25 club
<><><><><><><><><><><><>

Biggest UK parkruns: Bushy Park (1029), Milton Keynes (921), Heaton Park (788), Cannon Hill (781), Northampton (727), Birkenhead (656), Poole (645), Woodhouse Moor (640), Sheffield Hallam (614), Coventry (607),
Median UK parkrun: Dewsbury (188),
Dunbar parkruns this week (150 +/- 5%): Boston (143), Nova Prestatyn (143), Sandhurst Memorial (143), Armagh (144), Prudhoe Riverside (145), Harwich (146), Mole Valley (146), Pymmes (146), Sandwell Valley (147), Agnew (148), Barnsley (148), Gladstone (148), Oriam (148), Cleethorpes (149), Corby (149), Cusworth Hall (149), Salcey Forest (149), Sandall Park (149), Crichton (151), Tring (151), Felixstowe (152), Clair (153), Keswick (153), Stamford Park (153), Tyne Green (153), Eglinton (154), Gunpowder (154), Sutton Manor (155), Hilly Fields (157),
Smallest UK parkruns: Squerryes Winery (32), Mount Stuart (32), Swinfen* (31), Dolgellau (31), Berwyn* (31), Swaffham (30), Snowden Field (30), Cromhall* (30), Beckton (30), Wotton (29), Foots Cray Meadows (29), Kirkwall (28), Lullingstone (22), Hanworth (22), Girvan Prom (22), Gainsborough (22), Cotsford Fields (21), Wayland* (19), Grove* (17), Bevendean Down (16), Black Combe* (15), Millom (14), Bear Brook* (12), Springhill* (11), Keppel* (11), Feltham* (11), Altcourse* (11), The Grange* (8), Downview* (8), Appleton Thorn* (2),
(* Events marked with an asterisk are not open to the public, as they are in the grounds of a prison or YOI).
In the UK there were 9 new attendance records set: Bowling Park (261), Buckingham (423), Cross Flatts (288), Gateshead (401), Grangemoor (332), Mallards Pike (190), Northampton (727), Tremorfa (217), Warren Hill (133),
There were 5 new UK parkruns: Chalkwell Beach, Crawfordsburn Country, Itchen Valley Country, Knockbracken Reservoir, Wickford Memorial

• Like 3

Stats update!! - due to better weather there were 100 more parkruns this week and 50,000 more participants.

parkrun Attendance and Milestone Stats for 07 March 2020 and 08 March 2020

In the UK there were 671 parkruns, 171,760 parkrunners and 16,114 volunteers, plus any pending results,
Worldwide there were 1655 parkruns plus 322 junior parkruns, and the worldwide parkrun population was 331,122 parkrunners and 33,723 volunteers, plus any pending results,

27337 people got their parkrun barcode this week
18372 people became parkrunners this week
1353 parkrunners joined the 50 club
622 parkrunners joined the 100 club
86 parkrunners joined the 250 club
0 parkrunners joined the 500 club
354 parkrunners joined the v25 club
<><><><><><><><><><><><>

Biggest UK parkruns: Bushy Park (1504), Southampton (1233), Heaton Park (957), Cannon Hill (951), Coventry (882), Poole (820), Cardiff (805), Huddersfield (776), Worcester (733), Black Park (730),
Median UK parkrun: Barrow (213),
Dunbar parkruns this week (150 +/- 5%): Orpington (143), Stamford Park (143), Armagh (144), Comber (144), Newborough Forest (145), Troon (145), Melksham (146), Basildon (147), Clare Castle (147), Barry Island (148), Bryn Bach (148), Harrow Lodge (149), Oaklands (149), Salcey Forest (149), Conyngham Hall (150), Lyme Park (150), Margate (150), Crichton (151), Rosliston (151), Sheringham (151), Sittingbourne (152), Tremorfa (152), Cosmeston Lakes (153), Tamar Lakes (153), Harwich (154), Ifield Mill Pond (154), Levengrove (154), Queens (154), Montrose (155), Castle Howard (156), Aylesbury (157), Dewsbury (157),
Smallest UK parkruns: Ellesmere Port (40), Marshall Drive (38), Stranmillis College (35), Cape Pembroke Lighthouse (35), Haverhill (34), Bethlem Royal Hospital (34), Wayland* (33), Mount Stuart (32), Kirkwall (30), Holy Cross College (30), Girvan Prom (30), Hilltop* (27), Millom (26), Gainsborough (25), Cromhall* (25), Swinfen* (24), Hollesley Bay* (24), Hafan Pwllheli (24), Tern Hill* (23), Sands Lane* (21), Black Combe* (21), Feltham* (16), Sudbury* (15), Springhill* (15), The Grange* (12), Lower Drummans* (12), Keppel* (10), Bear Brook* (10), Bickershaw* (6), Appleton Thorn* (3),
(* Events marked with an asterisk are not open to the public, as they are in the grounds of a prison or YOI).
In the UK there were 12 new attendance records set: Burnage (232), Chalkwell Beach (363), Downview (54), Halifax (283), Knockbracken Reservoir (183), Minehead (184), Pymmes (193), Sands Lane (21), Sandwell Valley (219), Teignmouth Promenade (396), Tetbury Goods Shed (177), Wickford Memorial (276),
There were 3 new UK parkruns: Bolberry Down, Faskally Forest, Trelai Park,
Of the UK parkruns that took place both last week and this week:
421 parkruns had higher attendance than last week,
134 parkruns had lower attendance than last week,
Mount Stuart, Armagh, Salcey Forest, Crichton, Knockbracken Reservoir, had precisely the same as last week,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

parkrun cancelled for a significant period of time. It will be back though....

• Like 1

Like many I shall miss my park run for the next few months.   It can be obsessive and very satisfying. 

I have upped my solo runs.  Hopefully that can continue especially with lighter days and better weather coming. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Like many I shall miss my park run for the next few months.   It can be obsessive and very satisfying. 

I have upped my solo runs.  Hopefully that can continue especially with lighter days and better weather coming. ?

I'll be doing the Hastings parkrun route at some point tomorrow. It's a very easy one to do whilst maintaining social distancing. I won't do it at 9am because I'm slightly fearful there will be a few people having the same idea of just turning up and doing it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'll be doing the Hastings parkrun route at some point tomorrow. It's a very easy one to do whilst maintaining social distancing. I won't do it at 9am because I'm slightly fearful there will be a few people having the same idea of just turning up and doing it.

Yes, I know that they have asked people not to turn up and do 'unofficial' parkruns along the same route at 9am (or 9.30am) as they fear it may damage their reputation and good standing with the public.

I will probably do the Edinburgh route a couple of times, but maybe at times like Tuesday at 7am etc.

• Like 1