Park Run

I was timekeeper yesterday.  My first stint at that.  All good.  Worked well with the other timekeeper and we counted the same 285 runners. it got a bit hectic as bunches arrived around 25 mins. 

We both intentionally missed the runner (first timer it turned out) who did 2 instead of 3 laps. The funnel manager gave them a token and they got a time at 79% age grade.  That later got retracted from the results, they must have realised the missing lap and challenge of repeating that standard!

• Like 4

Another Saturday, another PB. 22.38 at Poolsbrook.

Edited by tim2
  • Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

A bit of parkrun tourism at Ellesmere Port today. I had some kind of 48 hour bug the last 2 days so I was surprised to show up at all, let alone run 24.30 on a course that's mostly grass, which I find saps my energy.

Nice, friendly parkrun, just 102 there today and I was 23rd.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Phoenix parkrun (in Runcorn, not Arizona) today and a 12th place finish in 23.57 - a decent time considering it has a cheeky hill that you do 3 times. Nice bacon sarnie in the cafe afterwards. Chatted to a young lad who plays for "Bears" rugby league - not sure which Bears mind you. He was in his full kit as he had volunteered (for his DoE) and then was off to play in a semi-final. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tim2 said:

Phoenix parkrun (in Runcorn, not Arizona) today and a 12th place finish in 23.57 - a decent time considering it has a cheeky hill that you do 3 times. Nice bacon sarnie in the cafe afterwards. Chatted to a young lad who plays for "Bears" rugby league - not sure which Bears mind you. He was in his full kit as he had volunteered (for his DoE) and then was off to play in a semi-final. 

On the site of my old secondary school - I must've done cross country there, but haven't been back since the place was demolished and the park was created.  That'll be West Bank Bears in Widnes presumably, although the old Runcorn ARLFC had its pitch and clubhouse near there back in the eighties. I dread to think what caused you to be in Runcorn on a Saturday morning 🙂

• Haha 1

I was a tourist at Kettering.  Great to parkrun around the amusements of Wicksteed Park, criss cross its narrow guage railway and over a lake by (wobbly) pontoon bridge.  It's a real pleasure to run any parkrun, they're all unique and friendly. 😀  

I'll volunteer next week as suffering form a sore achilles.  I've ordered some of that tape seen on other runners and am told its quite useful. 

Edited by Charlie RL
  • Like 2

On 12/09/2021 at 18:27, JonM said:

On the site of my old secondary school - I must've done cross country there, but haven't been back since the place was demolished and the park was created.  That'll be West Bank Bears in Widnes presumably, although the old Runcorn ARLFC had its pitch and clubhouse near there back in the eighties. I dread to think what caused you to be in Runcorn on a Saturday morning 🙂

It was very convenient for getting back from the Wirral to Sheffield! We've already done Birkenhead, Warrington, Chester and Ellesmere Port. Warrington's a good one. Next up when we re over there will be the beast that is Wepre.

13 hours ago, henage said:

Wife , son and girlfriend did Lands End . I stayed in Sennen Cove with dog . 

Fantastic way to spend your Saturday . Had a swim , watched lifeboat (both inshore and offshore)launch to get 4 kayakers drifting into the main shipping lanes . 

This has to be the challenge now: https://www.parkrun.org.uk/capepembrokelighthouse/

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

67:17 as tail walker last Saturday.  The visually impaired runner (with guide) in front of me was delighted with a 30s pb.  Excellent.  Rested my poorly leg.  Hope to be in Yorkshire this weekend to complete a tourisim park run.     

16 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Myrtle parkrun today.  Tough.  4 laps and 4 ascents from the bank of the River Aire to the level of Bingley High Street.

Ouch.

I've missed a couple of weeks due to being in a country with no parkruns.

A return visit to Birkenhead parkrun today - my last trip was in 2017. They've modified the course to make it a two lapper instead of 3 with wider paths to accommodate the bigger field (451 today). It's a quick one and I did my 6th fastest ever parkun at 22.52, 14 seconds slower than my overall PB.

• Like 2

Off to Ull to get my letter U in my parkrun Alphabet challenge. 

What do you mean, it's got an "H"?? 🙂

Anybody been to it? I've done the Peter Pan and Humber Bridge events but not East Park. I assume it's pretty flat based on where it is.

21 hours ago, tim2 said:

Off to Ull to get my letter U in my parkrun Alphabet challenge. 

What do you mean, it's got an "H"?? 🙂

Anybody been to it? I've done the Peter Pan and Humber Bridge events but not East Park. I assume it's pretty flat based on where it is.

Its as flat as a pancake , few tight turns , few long straights . PB run ... Get on the front at start , its a long wide high speed start that separate's the runners . Couple of tight turns into another long straight . 2nd lap you will be working your way passed other runners . finish is passed the start line on the left of road . I will be watching with my dog (collie) give us the thumbs up . Use woodford sports centre for parking as east park doesnt have parking , if your on site early it no problem , leave it latter you might have problems 

Edited by henage

It's the fifth edition of the world's northernmost Parkrun here in Oulu (Finland) this weekend. I've been alternating running with volunteering on a weekly basis so far. 

We started off with 38 participants in the first week, though this dropped to 10(!) on week three due to a clash with the city's popular marathon/half/10k event. 

I might wear my Dons top tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Minä rakastan rugbyliigaa!

On 08/10/2021 at 14:40, henage said:

Its as flat as a pancake , few tight turns , few long straights . PB run ... Get on the front at start , its a long wide high speed start that separate's the runners . Couple of tight turns into another long straight . 2nd lap you will be working your way passed other runners . finish is passed the start line on the left of road . I will be watching with my dog (collie) give us the thumbs up . Use woodford sports centre for parking as east park doesnt have parking , if your on site early it no problem , leave it latter you might have problems 

Cheers - can't remember seeing you. I had to get away quickly today. What a lovely park and a great parkrun for fast times. Smashed my all-time 5K PB by 20 seconds.

Missed the turn into the car park but managed to park on a side road.

My wife, who also got a PB, is working in Hull today so I wandered around. What a transformation the city has had since I lived here in 1983!! Seriously, it was like Copenhagen down by the marina and Princes Quay. I suppose the weather helped - people outside at the cafes etc.

Does one of the Hull amateur RL teams play on that pitch at the end of the park? I had a bit of deja vu when I saw it from my days as a ref.

Edited by tim2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, tim2 said:

Cheers - can't remember seeing you. I had to get away quickly today. What a lovely park and a great parkrun for fast times. Smashed my all-time 5K PB by 20 seconds.

Missed the turn into the car park but managed to park on a side road.

My wife, who also got a PB, is working in Hull today so I wandered around. What a transformation the city has had since I lived here in 1983!! Seriously, it was like Copenhagen down by the marina and Princes Quay. I suppose the weather helped - people outside at the cafes etc.

Does one of the Hull amateur RL teams play on that pitch at the end of the park? I had a bit of deja vu when I saw it from my days as a ref.

Hull Dockers play on the pitch . Both open age and some youth . Great running . Well done to you both .

1 hour ago, henage said:

Hull Dockers play on the pitch . Both open age and some youth . Great running . Well done to you both .

Ah yes. My son reffed them in a derby match, possibly West Hull, in the NCL. Way more there than at a lot of League One matches.

Thanks, really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2021 at 20:14, Moomintroll said:

It's the fifth edition of the world's northernmost Parkrun here in Oulu (Finland) this weekend. I've been alternating running with volunteering on a weekly basis so far. 

Takes me back 30 years to a nice summer spent in Vaasa and fond memories of Suomi. I twisted my knee at Rutland Water parkrun this week.  I will probably rest and volunteer the next 4 weeks now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did Telford parkrun last Saturday. Because I was running a 10K on Sunday I decided to run it at around 10K target pace and see how it felt. It felt pretty good and I came in at 24.12 - very respectable, really. There was a nice hill finish as a test too. It's a lovely parkrun and well worth a visit if you're in the area. That's #82 event and #275 in total.

On Sunday I ran the Chesterfield 10K. I've never been so nervous before a race. No idea why. the race went really well and I was well on target at 5K, having done the long, shallow 1K climb out of town in 5 minutes and being ahead of PB pace overall. A couple more sharp climbs up to the old football ground and it was downhill and flat on the run in.

My son took videos of me at 9K and I looked, as usual, like I was going to do die. I came in at 46.37, a PB by 99 seconds.

I also won the M60 age category and will be receiving a trophy. I've never won anything for running and never expected to. 

• Like 5

Ferry Meadows parkrun in Peterborough yesterday. Lovely course round a couple of lakes, very flat. 450+ runners so congestion at the start slowed me a bit but I ran my second fastest parkrun at 22.31

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tim2 said:

Ferry Meadows parkrun in Peterborough yesterday. Lovely course round a couple of lakes, very flat. 450+ runners so congestion at the start slowed me a bit but I ran my second fastest parkrun at 22.31

I did the inaugural there, back when that was a thing, have not been back since. 

It's a good time.