Park Run

On 08/10/2021 at 20:14, Moomintroll said:

It's the fifth edition of the world's northernmost Parkrun here in Oulu (Finland) this weekend. I've been alternating running with volunteering on a weekly basis so far. 

Nice. Had a few business trips to Oulu, lovely place in winter when the city is covered in white and the sea is frozen. It's the only place outside of Britain where I've seen people passed out on the street mid-afternoon through drinking homebrew though. I bet that is a beautiful course.

• Like 1

This could be in the "rain" thread!

Rother Valley (158th time) for me today and a course PB of 22.44 - by 1 second, the best sort of PB. It was extremely wet and windy so I have to be pleased, but I'm shattered now. Surprisingly my heart rate didn't get into the high zones at all.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 2 weeks later...

Northampton racecourse yesterday.  Last ran 2 years ago and got a 1s PB! 😀

Junior parkrun volunteer today which was pleasant in the sunshine. :kolobok_sun_bespectacled:

I hope to have solved my niggling injury having realised i was running in the wrong shoes (support - I need cushioned).  I must have got them 'cheap' online.  Classic false economy as my replacements cost me ninety. 

• Like 3

I ran Fletcher Moss near Didsbury on Saturday. It's a lovely leafy couse, a bit undulating but not too bad. That's my 84th different event now. Heading for the Cowell Club (100 different events) next year.

Did my 7th sub-23 this year, coming in at 22.56

I usually run slower in colder weather, so that's an OK time.

A couple of weeks away from parkrun now, then a half marathon at the end of the month.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

East park parkrun . Quite a few people with spinal injuries , plus other major problems walked (wheeled) the full 5k course Saturday . Last person over the finish line took well over two hours . 

I walked back to my car after watching my son do the run , have a catch up with a few different people as you do around 45 mins after the start . I not 100% but I think the last person was Pete Stephenson ex amateur player who sustained a serious neck injury playing for Dockers v West Hull many years ago . He had done around 500metres of the course . Talk about effort and focus , unbelievable . 

Credit to all the volunteers that marshalled the event and stay the full 2/3 hours it took for the last person to complete the course .

Edited by henage
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, henage said:

Credit to all the volunteers that marshalled the event and stay the full 2/3 hours it took for the last person to complete the course .

Marshalling has turned into bit more of a commitment these days. Used to be all done and dusted by 9:40 and join friends who've been running for a coffee, but with the increased number of walkers, you're often out until after 10.

That is a very impressive effort by those people with spinal injuries etc.

We had a lady walked round with a zimmer frame with her teenage grandchildren at Cambridge a few years back; by chance, we had a British Olympian and a European indoor champion running the same day. Good illustration of what parkrun is about.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2021 at 23:08, henage said:

East park parkrun . Quite a few people with spinal injuries , plus other major problems walked (wheeled) the full 5k course Saturday . Last person over the finish line took well over two hours . 

I walked back to my car after watching my son do the run , have a catch up with a few different people as you do around 45 mins after the start . I not 100% but I think the last person was Pete Stephenson ex amateur player who sustained a serious neck injury playing for Dockers v West Hull many years ago . He had done around 500metres of the course . Talk about effort and focus , unbelievable . 

If you know you've got some participants likely to be slower, it's possible to limit who needs to stay behind and let some of the volunteers go home. Most parkrunners are very supportive of volunteers, and a lot volunteer as well as run. I've volunteered over 100 times, including some where I've also run, but many (including Run Director) when I didn't.  

Others, sadly, take them for granted.

I have been away from parkrun for 3 weeks now, 2 weeks on holiday in a non-parkrun country and Saturday thanks to the snow. Inbetween Saturday's snow and Sunday's, the roads cleared and I ran the Clowne Half Marathon (my local one) in a course PB time of 1.47.53 - it's a lumpy course with the last 3 miles being very uphill so I was pleased with that time, which is only just over 2 minutes off a full PB that was on a basically downhill course.

Next week I'll be back to my closest parkrun at Poolsbrook.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tim2 said:

If you know you've got some participants likely to be slower, it's possible to limit who needs to stay behind and let some of the volunteers go home. Most parkrunners are very supportive of volunteers, and a lot volunteer as well as run. I've volunteered over 100 times, including some where I've also run, but many (including Run Director) when I didn't.  

Others, sadly, take them for granted.

It was well planned for the volunteers . Only those needed stayed on . Full credit to them . Humbling to see the effort required to complete the course .  

• Like 2

Monsal Trail parkrun for me tomorrow. It was called Bakewell before Covid and it looked like it might not restart due to there being too many runners and other users in the same space. They've rejigged the course to use a different part so hopefully it will be OK.

Storthes Hall parkrun near Huddersfield has bitten the dust as the owners of the land have not agreed to the restart. That's another one, along with Cambridge, Mulbarton and Gainsborough that I've run that no longer exist. kirklees is a bit thin on the ground parkrun-wise. Huddersfield is very popular but I think more, and smaller, parkruns are better if you can find the space and volunteers.

20 hours ago, tim2 said:

Monsal Trail parkrun for me tomorrow. It was called Bakewell before Covid and it looked like it might not restart due to there being too many runners and other users in the same space. They've rejigged the course to use a different part so hopefully it will be OK.

Storthes Hall parkrun near Huddersfield has bitten the dust as the owners of the land have not agreed to the restart. That's another one, along with Cambridge, Mulbarton and Gainsborough that I've run that no longer exist. kirklees is a bit thin on the ground parkrun-wise. Huddersfield is very popular but I think more, and smaller, parkruns are better if you can find the space and volunteers.

I was wondering where Monsal Trail had appeared from.

Cambridge may have disappeared, but we now have three parkruns in the city and several more in the surrounding area. A little bit of a frustrating story with Cambridge. Cambridge Sports Lake trust, the charity that was given the park by the council some years ago, decided that it was better to use the site for other things on a Saturday morning. Car parking fees from parkrun was their main source of income for some years, but lockdown seems to have resulted in many more people using the park. Not necessarily a bad thing I guess. Junior parkrun is still there on Sunday. 

Fourth place for me today, in a time almost 4 minutes slower than my course PB. Fair to say that conditions underfoot meant that a lot of the fast people went elsewhere, and brought the rest down to my level 😉 

23.16 on a cold and windy Monsal Trail, not quite the sub 23 I hoped for but I hate cold weather running and last week's Half Marathon was still in the legs, so I'll take it.

• Like 2

I've been junior parkrun volunteering most Sundays.  Even allowing for the odd child that gets randomly distracted (by a stick or similar 'toy'!) its normally all done by 9.45am.  Very uplifting to help as with parkrun.  

As is the way the 4th anniversary last month was fancy dress.  My red / white Where's Wally hat effort  was ok but didn't match the other 4 Wally's - or 2 dinosaurs 🦖 and one excellent minion.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

I've been junior parkrun volunteering most Sundays.  Even allowing for the odd child that gets randomly distracted (by a stick or similar 'toy'!) its normally all done by 9.45am.  Very uplifting to help as with parkrun.  

As is the way the 4th anniversary last month was fancy dress.  My red / white Where's Wally hat effort  was ok but didn't match the other 4 Wally's - or 2 dinosaurs 🦖 and one excellent minion.

We sometimes help at our local junior parkrun. It's very small, mostly with fewer than 20 runners. 

RL's Dave Woods allegedly spotted at Fell Foot Park Run yesterday

The National Trust and volunteers did a great job getting that one on yesterday, as there was a huge number of trees down from the previous week

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shaun mc said:

RL's Dave Woods allegedly spotted at Fell Foot Park Run yesterday

The National Trust and volunteers did a great job getting that one on yesterday, as there was a huge number of trees down from the previous week

Dave Woods doing a commentary on how many in the woods were felled? Or did he just bounce off them?

• 4 weeks later...

Did my local parkrun on Christmas Day. I've slowed down a lot recently at 24.12 but oddly it was exactly the same time that I did on the 18th December at a different parkrun. 

This week I haven't decided where to go yet. It might depend on the weather.

• Like 1

Started Parkruns just under 6 years ago. Initially, I was coming in at 32.30 and over time, managed to peak at 27.53. From day 1, I managed to run 8 consecutive PBs and really got the bug. I enjoyed racing against the clock and didn't find it difficult to get our of bed to do it. I had some company too with a pal from the village who came along often. I managed to do 37 runs in total.

Several years down the line, I have started running again, after a break of over 3 years. At that time, I had slowly regressed to just under 32 mins. Problem is, I am now only churning out 7 min kms, and to add to the shame, I am only producing this over 3k. 

I've told myself I won't be park running until I can run under 35 min for 5k and even that I am finding embarrassing. Time will tell how quickly I can get back on track, if at all, but I think it will be running on my own in the locality, rather than with others at Parkrun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Started Parkruns just under 6 years ago. Initially, I was coming in at 32.30 and over time, managed to peak at 27.53. From day 1, I managed to run 8 consecutive PBs and really got the bug. I enjoyed racing against the clock and didn't find it difficult to get our of bed to do it. I had some company too with a pal from the village who came along often. I managed to do 37 runs in total.

Several years down the line, I have started running again, after a break of over 3 years. At that time, I had slowly regressed to just under 32 mins. Problem is, I am now only churning out 7 min kms, and to add to the shame, I am only producing this over 3k. 

I've told myself I won't be park running until I can run under 35 min for 5k and even that I am finding embarrassing. Time will tell how quickly I can get back on track, if at all, but I think it will be running on my own in the locality, rather than with others at Parkrun.

Have you looked into doing the Couch to 5k programme?

I've a friend who was knocking out half marathons for fun a couple of years but then Covid came along and completely knocked first their health and secondly their confidence. Once the health was gone they found they just weren't mentally there to cope with their new standard. Like you, they couldn't really get past being embarrassed when compared to how they had been before.

I've not done it myself but they found Couch to 5k altered their focus a lot and helped them get back out running for fun. They're nowhere near half-marathons for fun but they are now doing 5-10k runs in a way that they enjoy and don't find embarrassing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Any complete park run is not embarrassing, it’s better than most who don’t actually do it 👍🏼

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Not embarrassing at all. My son could do 17 minutes previously, but he's had a (not running-related) injury which stopped him doing anything for a year and is currently going round in 35-40 minutes. Plenty of people behind him still. The whole point of parkrun is you go at your own speed - plenty of people run a bit, walk a bit or just walk round.

• Like 2