Park Run

Several local parkruns iced off this weekend.  Brixworth - a gem of a setting- was open with an alternative course  omitting its steep finish.  I was pleased to get round with my leg still dodgy.  My son got a sub 19pb finishing  first .   A nice confidence  boost. 😀

• Like 4

New Park Run at Talkin Tarn (a picturesque place 10 miles east of Carlisle) last Saturday

May go and run it next week. Not done one for 3 years, mainly doing much longer trail runs at the weekend, but a mate lives a couple of miles away so we're giving it a go

• Like 2

After 3 local runs due to weather uncertainty I was back on the road at Beeston in Nottingham. I did it before 4 years ago, when I'd slowed down a lot, but it's nice and flat and a friend gave me a lift. My 3 recent times have alll been around 24.15-24.30 so i was aiming for sub-24. I've upped the training again so I felt it was possible and indeed it was - I flew round the big loop and only slowed on the out and back bit - into the wind on the finishing 800m - ending up at 22.56. 

This was my 8th sub-23 course since last July - very pleased indeed.

Today I started increasing distance in preparation for a half marathon on the Monsal trail in March - 12 miles in cold, grey weather.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 hours ago, tim2 said:

After 3 local runs due to weather uncertainty I was back on the road at Beeston in Nottingham. I did it before 4 years ago, when I'd slowed down a lot, but it's nice and flat and a friend gave me a lift. My 3 recent times have alll been around 24.15-24.30 so i was aiming for sub-24. I've upped the training again so I felt it was possible and indeed it was - I flew round the big loop and only slowed on the out and back bit - into the wind on the finishing 800m - ending up at 22.56. 

This was my 8th sub-23 course since last July - very pleased indeed.

Today I started increasing distance in preparation for a half marathon on the Monsal trail in March - 12 miles in cold, grey weather.

This is all excellent and makes me very envious that within a reasonable drive of here I have precisely two parkruns: Hastings and Bedgebury. Just as well I really do like the Hastings one.

I am, hopefully, at my parents next weekend though which will mean a return visit to Banbury's rather fun parkrun. This will be my fifth run there and I'll be hoping to beat my previous best of 24:14 there - but not exactly confident of doing so.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This is all excellent and makes me very envious that within a reasonable drive of here I have precisely two parkruns: Hastings and Bedgebury. Just as well I really do like the Hastings one.

I am, hopefully, at my parents next weekend though which will mean a return visit to Banbury's rather fun parkrun. This will be my fifth run there and I'll be hoping to beat my previous best of 24:14 there - but not exactly confident of doing so.

I think I've got about 50 within an hour's drive, about 20 inside 30 minutes

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

9 hours ago, tim2 said:

I think I've got about 50 within an hour's drive, about 20 inside 30 minutes

*weeps in A259*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Off to Hull again, this time for my second go at Peter Pan parkrun. It's a deceptive course, flat but with grass sections and lots of corners and hairpins. 24.11, so 80 seconds quicker than my last visit, but into the wind was brutal. it never seems to be possible to catch up what you lose on the headwind when the wind is behind you.

• Like 2

Visiting the folks this weekend so a first go at Banbury in a few years. Three laps of a park with two of those having loops of a little grassy island to get you to 5k. No real inclines but otherwise it’s a decent mix of surfaces, straights, curves etc.

Made it round in 23:02 which was good enough for 17th out of 210. It’s not much of a PB course so I think proper runners go elsewhere - hence that position!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got up at 6am, drove to South Wales via Worcester and did Worcester Pitchcroft parkrun, which laps the racecourse.

Was fine for the first 1km then the wheels came off and I struggled all the way round. Hopefully it was just the early start - 25.21 in the end after 4.30 for the first km.

That's 286 parkruns now at 85 different events.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Have done Doddington Hall (Lincoln) and Milton Keynes recently. Doddington was quick, MK not so much due to it being very windy and me being tired.

Might take on the hills of Roundhay this week then I have the Monsal Trail Half Marathon the week after.

• Like 1

Eventually decided on Woodhouse Moor in central Leeds and ran an OK 23.46

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No parkrun last week as I was recuperating from the Monsal Trail Half Marathon, where I ran a PB of 1.44.36 despite having a calf issue for most of the race. I was 2nd in my age category.

The day before I did a gentle parkrun at Beverley Westwood - a lovely course on a sunny day with a nice view of the minster at the top of the course. It's all on grass, which I normally don't like but the firm ground made it OK.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tim2 said:

No parkrun last week as I was recuperating from the Monsal Trail Half Marathon, where I ran a PB of 1.44.36 despite having a calf issue for most of the race. I was 2nd in my age category.

The day before I did a gentle parkrun at Beverley Westwood - a lovely course on a sunny day with a nice view of the minster at the top of the course. It's all on grass, which I normally don't like but the firm ground made it OK.

Beverley park run have had to cancel a few runs due to bad weather , its a little exposed when weathers unkind . 

Take dog for walks on the Westwood , get 4/5 miles in no problem . Walk into Beverley market place get a coffee/ beer walk back across the Westwood to car parked near racecourse , worse ways to spend a couple of hours . 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, henage said:

Beverley park run have had to cancel a few runs due to bad weather , its a little exposed when weathers unkind . 

Take dog for walks on the Westwood , get 4/5 miles in no problem . Walk into Beverley market place get a coffee/ beer walk back across the Westwood to car parked near racecourse , worse ways to spend a couple of hours . 

Very impressed with the market - got an expensive but fabulously meat-packed sausage roll that put in twice the calories I'd just burnt.

• Like 1

Less good news today. Back home at Rother Valley and my calf went at 4km.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Less good news today. Back home at Rother Valley and my calf went at 4km.

Annoying. Hopefully it'll only need a few days of rest rather than anything more serious.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Annoying. Hopefully it'll only need a few days of rest rather than anything more serious.

I just rested it for the last 2 weeks - I'm going to try more stretching and roller work, and possibly a bit longer this time. Then start a bit steadier than doing a parkrun straight away.

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

I just rested it for the last 2 weeks - I'm going to try more stretching and roller work, and possibly a bit longer this time. Then start a bit steadier than doing a parkrun straight away.

Good luck.  Frustrating and difficult to decide how much rest. 

Sixfields Upton as a tourist today.  Car parking just near the Cobblers stadium. 

Lovely park with plenty of waterside.   Upton is an exemplar urban development.

This week and last I have my highest  age %.  40s off PB (2017) but improving.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sherwood Pines parkrun last week - a last minute dash after discovering that Clumber Park was cancelled.

This week was Newark - a nice 3 lapper I've done before. Beat my previous time by 2 minutes (came in at 24.54) but my calf is still not 100%. Should reach 300 parkruns around the end of June.

• Like 3

Been walking park runs for the last couple of years due to knee problems .

Last 3 weeks started to run them after dropping a bit of timber , knees feeling better in general activities .

Hell its been hard going , dog pulling me round is giving my times a healthy look . 30mins / 29mins / 28mins ish this week . 

Hoping to hit the 24min mark by end of the summer  

• Like 3

Took the lad to junior parkrun for the first time recently, was funny seeing his first attempt which I suspect was similar to many people's first attempts at an organised run.

1) Go off too fast trying to keep up with the starters

2) Get obsessed trying to overtake people and not get overtaken

3) Completely gas out after about 1/3rd of the run

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Last couple of parkruns have been interesting. At Boston (Lincs) a couple of weeks ago I felt really terrible running round. Went slower and slower and staggered over in the line in 27 minutes and a bit. I hadn't been feeling great in the week, so it shouldn't have been a surprise but it wiped me out for a day.

Much better last Saturday at Ancholme Valley in Brigg. Lovely out and back along the river in 24.28 which gets me a Bronze Standard at the running club. Went quicker and quicker each km this week.

Today I did my first longish run in a while - 9 miles. It was a tad warm out there. 

This Saturday off to Milton Keynes to see my grandson so I'll add Linford Wood to the list, having already run the Milton keynes one. That will be event number 92 and parkrun number 298. I've booked to fly to Dublin in 3 weeks and will hopefully add Ireland as my 6th country.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Last couple of parkruns have been interesting. At Boston (Lincs) a couple of weeks ago I felt really terrible running round. Went slower and slower and staggered over in the line in 27 minutes and a bit. I hadn't been feeling great in the week, so it shouldn't have been a surprise but it wiped me out for a day.

Much better last Saturday at Ancholme Valley in Brigg. Lovely out and back along the river in 24.28 which gets me a Bronze Standard at the running club. Went quicker and quicker each km this week.

Today I did my first longish run in a while - 9 miles. It was a tad warm out there. 

This Saturday off to Milton Keynes to see my grandson so I'll add Linford Wood to the list, having already run the Milton keynes one. That will be event number 92 and parkrun number 298. I've booked to fly to Dublin in 3 weeks and will hopefully add Ireland as my 6th country.

Was going to do Whitby parkrun last week . Sadly dogs not allowed . Walk down beach instead .