Park Run

Irchester today.  A bit of an out and back struggle for me.  Undulating and repeat inclines  is not my best terrain.  Sunny and friendly.  Very near the newly built HMP Five Wells which looks functional as you would expect. 

• Like 2

Ashbourne in my home county of Derbyshire for me yesterday - a new one set in a park very close to the town centre. More than half of it is on grass, around cricket and rugby pitches (three laps) but it's surprisingly pretty overall. I don't like running on grass but being dry and warm made it pretty easy and I ran 24.45 after just dipping under 25 at Linford Wood last week. That one (in Milton Keynes) was a one lapper through woodland and on the MK redways.

I've now done 93 events. Next week is my 300th overall and I will either be at my home run, or somewhere in Cheshire where my wfe is working for the day. I've done Warrington before but happy to go back - that one's quite interesting.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Did my first Park Run in nearly 3 years a couple of weeks ago. Wanted to see how I would go with shorter distances and whether I could run at a decent pace. I'd entered a road 10k - again nearly 3 years since the last road race. I've been concentrating on longer off road events - up to 40k

Fell Foot Park Run - 24:54 (its 90% off road)

10k Road - 49:32

Happy with both of them, about 5% slower than PB's

• Like 2

Thanks to a birthday, I've now moved up a age range.

Brilliant, thinks I, might get nearer the imaginary age-specific podium.

Nope.

Ran a bit faster, placed a bit higher overall but ... down five places on age compared to my last run.

Turns out that there are some fast 'oldies' that I'm now sharing a category with.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

What constitutes a difficult / hilly course?

Where i live is quite hilly, a 10k i did yesterday is not flat at any point with 2 hills of 120m ascent, so essentially 4 climbs! Would like to be able to validate how hard this is...

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

Where i live is quite hilly, a 10k i did yesterday is not flat at any point with 2 hills of 120m ascent, so essentially 4 climbs! Would like to be able to validate how hard this is...

From 2019. I have no idea how this works.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/parkrun-statsgeek-group/uk-parkrun-course-difficulty-rankings-jan-2019-update/2333631266874035/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Ah. Cheers.

Ive done some reading this morning and yes, it's hilly.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

Turns out the beach ones are considered among the hardest! Soft sand is a pig to run on.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 13/06/2022 at 12:50, gingerjon said:

It seems the harder ones have the highest number. I think it only goes up to 6.00

I've done Whinlatter which is a 6.00

Its all off road on forest & gravel tracks. It finishes about 300 ft higher than the start point and from the start there's quite a bit of downhill first

On 13/06/2022 at 11:17, MattSantos said:

There's a 10k at Endmoor in the next few weeks. About 800 ft of ascent, most of it in the first 5k, and then an uphill finish. Not done many 10k's but that one is definitely a tough one

11 hours ago, shaun mc said:

It seems the harder ones have the highest number. I think it only goes up to 6.00

I've done Whinlatter which is a 6.00

Its all off road on forest & gravel tracks. It finishes about 300 ft higher than the start point and from the start there's quite a bit of downhill first

Update for 2022 here: https://www.thepowerof10.info/content/itemdisplay.aspx?itemid=1702

I've only done three parkrun routes so don't have much to compare. Hastings is, as you would expect, one of the fastest ones but behind others that presumably don't have its bottle necks or regular headwinds.

Can also be quite seasonal. Whinlatter is always very tough, for example, but Millom in the dry vs in the wet are hugely different propositions. There have been times there when first place has been 15:xx and others when it's been 31 minutes plus.

Lyme Park's the hardest one I've done.

I see it now goes up to 10. There must be a Spinal tap parkrun somewhere that goes up to 11.

My quickest time was at Hull.

Millhouses is quite high at 2.0 as it's flat as a pancake. Lots of turns and narrow paths slow it down.

Still dithering about where to go for my 300th parkrun on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Wythenshawe last week for my 300th. I was a bit slow at 26 and a bit as it's on quite a lot of heavy grass but it's a nice course. 

This weekend was a whirlwind tour of Dublin. Up at 3am to get to Leeds-Bradford for the 6.30am flight. Queuing outside for security before 5am but they've sorted the system out now whereby if your flight is 1 hour away they fetch you from the queue and fast track you. Made the flight fairly easily in the end.

The shop at Dublin Airport T1 didn't sell the Leap cards so we had to go to T2. We missed the first bus we needed to get to Malahide Castle parkrun. The second one required a change but when we got off the first we didn't see the 2nd bus on the board so, with time running out, we executively decided to walk from Swords to River Valley parkrun.

What a great run it was - the event team were super friendly even by parkrun standards (I expect all the Irish ones are the same) and the course winds downhill through the park, along the river then up a short sharp hill before looping back for a second lap.

Despite the tiredness I ran pretty well, ending up with 24.41 and an 8th place finish out of 72 runners. Spent the rest of the weekend in Dublin before the return flight to Leeds at 11.30 last night. Slightly knackered today but 100% worth it. 

• Like 2

10k around Balloch in my first ever 'race'. Much easier across the flat rather than the mad hills here, so did it in 59m odd. Had my own Derek Redmond moment with 40m to go as i tripped heavily looking for the wife. Crowd went mad as i got up, played my ball and ran the last 40m with blood all down my leg. Hero.

Getting back on the horse after 2 nights in Amsterdam, then a day at the cricket with a gentle 5k around where i live in a minute.

• Like 2

Ran one of my local parkruns at Brierley Forest yesterday. 3 minute course best in a time that was exactly the same as last week.

This weekend, assuming no disasters, will be my 10th time volunteering.

So, if you're running Hastings, expect some 'encouragement' out on the course.

• 3 weeks later...

After meeting Jo Pavey at Rother Valley the other week, I ran at Oakwell Hall near Batley on Saturday. That course has everything - hills, trails, grass, zig-zags, steps. In fact there's barely a flat, even section on it. It was brilliant. They really struggled to get restarted after Covid but it's great that it's back. For the record i ran 27 minutes flat, which is over 2 minutes slower than I've been doing recently.  

• 1 month later...

After a month off due to being on holiday in a non-parkrun country I returned with a tourist visit to Hinckley for Hastings High School parkrun. 25.10 was a decent time - it was largely on grass and reminded me of cross country at school in the 70s but with friendly people instead of sadistic PE teachers.

• Like 1

Managed a 26 minute run at Potternewton parkrun in Leeds. I was there last week for the West Indian carnival. It was much quieter this morning, apart from my breathing as I negotiated the hills.

• Like 1

A rare excursion up the A21 to the Bedgebury Pinetum parkrun. As different to the pancake flat (and paved) seafront out and back of Hastings as it's possible to imagine. I did get a PB (out of two, this was my second visit) but can't compare as they've changed the course since the pandemic.

It now finishes with a few hundred metres of uphill, which should, frankly, be illegal.

10 minutes ago, BatleyFanAndy said:

Wristband barcode ordered, new trainers bedding in, ready to hit my local Parkrun at Oakwell Hall.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2022 at 21:00, BatleyFanAndy said:

Wristband barcode ordered, new trainers bedding in, ready to hit my local Parkrun at Oakwell Hall.

Is it bad that I've not done one yet? I'm not really an 'unfit' person but my peak form of fitness is strength. I've trained years in power lifting and for strongman so the muscles in my legs are tight and heavy.

Instead of going in straight for a 5k I've started Couch to 5k to ready myself. Anyone else done it? I'm early on and it's very simple and easy going so far.

• Like 1

SIGNATURE