Park Run

On 03/04/2023 at 11:41, MattSantos said:

Injured. Stupid hills where i am have led to what i think is Hamstring tendon issues. Really weird knee this morning after a mega spasm yesterday.

Marathon in 5 weeks.

Same here.....thigh strain and an off-road marathon 5 weeks on Saturday

I do hill reps (the strain happened on a relatively flat off road run) but also do leg strengthening stuff to do the hill reps

Hope the hamstring issue works out - hopefully you have enough of a base already to take time off, not ideal though

On 04/04/2023 at 08:31, tim2 said:

Last week I was at Selby, which is a bit bleak to be honest as it runs around an old airfield. Anyway, that's 330 now at 105 different venues.

I quite liked Selby - ran there from York and combined it with a run along the Ouse, as I have a (very) long-term/casual goal to run along the river from the source of the Ure to the sea. Did my first parkrun for several months last weekend at Darlington, which is a very nice park. I'm on the core volunteer team for a new one that is setting up on the edge of the Dales - still about 30 mins drive from home unfortunately, but that's better than 50+.

2 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Same here.....thigh strain and an off-road marathon 5 weeks on Saturday

I do hill reps (the strain happened on a relatively flat off road run) but also do leg strengthening stuff to do the hill reps

Hope the hamstring issue works out - hopefully you have enough of a base already to take time off, not ideal though

It seems ok, a weeks complete rest and then i'll do a gentle 5k on Monday, some hills in the week and test it with a 18miler on Sunday.

My issue is a weeks all inclusive in Crete week before the marathon. That'll be some boozy taper.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

• 2 weeks later...

Ran at Market Bosworth on 8th and Millhouses (Sheffield) yesterday. Market Bosworth was a new one for me near Leicester. Nice two lapper but I was feeling a bit tired. I'm in the middle of a 30 day challenge to run 5K per day for charity. Some days I'm Ok but others it's a real slog. 

Up to 332 parkruns now at 106 locations. Next up, a new one at Beacon Hill in Leicestershire.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

18 hours ago, tim2 said:

Up to 332 parkruns now at 106 locations. Next up, a new one at Beacon Hill in Leicestershire.

I've run up Beacon Hill many times, presumably the parkrun starts near the top? Still going to be a fair amount of up and down I assume.

Oldest son ran sub-20 on Saturday, almost ten years after youngest son did so. He says his first ever parkrun (nearly 40 minutes, aged 16) was harder than any of the ones he's done since.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JonM said:

I've run up Beacon Hill many times, presumably the parkrun starts near the top? Still going to be a fair amount of up and down I assume.

Oldest son ran sub-20 on Saturday, almost ten years after youngest son did so. He says his first ever parkrun (nearly 40 minutes, aged 16) was harder than any of the ones he's done since.

I'll let you know - I think it's up first, then round the top, then down to the end.

Cambridge parkrun has come back from the dead, reimagined as Milton Country parkrun. Now i only have 3 dead parkruns in my portfolio.

Edited by tim2
  • Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 hours ago, tim2 said:

I'll let you know - I think it's up first, then round the top, then down to the end

I will Run it when dry!  A tough climb i expect that will take me over my 26 min. Average.   A flat one nearby at Abbey Park had event 1 saturday.  

8 hours ago, tim2 said:

Cambridge parkrun has come back from the dead, reimagined as Milton Country parkrun. 

Yes, very pleased about that, although I doubt I will ever go back and do it again. There are enough others in the area that hopefully the numbers won't overwhelm the park. It was their biggest source of income so I am sure the decision to stop in the first place was a tough one.

The new name makes sense but must be annoying for those people who like the various name based 'challenges' - pirates etc. The junior parkrun at the same place hasn't changed name though.

13 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

I will Run it when dry!  A tough climb i expect that will take me over my 26 min. Average.   A flat one nearby at Abbey Park had event 1 saturday.  

I'm planning that one later when I'm going quicker. Happy to be slow this week.

Beacon Hill was great - it's 722 on the list and bl99dy hard work in the first 3K. I was very happy with sub 28 minutes.

Cafe is grand too.

The hardest I've done in the rankings is Lyme Park at 748. It's my slowest time. Hull is my fastest time and it's 4th easiest. Don't fancy Yarmouth at all - running on soft sand. Give me hills any time! Having done 107 (96 in the UK) I think they start getting tricky at about 400 downwards. I'm slightly surprised by some of the ordering in the middle - I think it's a bit weighted by how many regular runners there are vs fun runners.

I'm 27 days in doing a 30 day challenge to run 3 miles (5K for me as I'm metric and obsessed with rounding) - it's supporting my daughter's fundraising for Cancer Research UK.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tim2 said:

I'm slightly surprised by some of the ordering in the middle - I think it's a bit weighted by how many regular runners there are vs fun runners.

I think that's the main weakness in the methodology. If you live in Cambridge and you want to run your fastest time, you go to Storey's Field. If you want to enjoy the scenery and experience the dizzy heights of 50 metres above sea level, you go to Wimpole Hall. The former is about 10% faster than the latter, but these rankings slightly exaggerate the differences. Less of an effect when there is only parkrun in an area.

The Beacon was one of Seb Coe's main training routes when he was at Loughborough.

18 hours ago, tim2 said:

I'm slightly surprised by some of the ordering in the middle - I think it's a bit weighted by how many regular runners there are vs fun runners.

Banbury is one of three I've done and it's down at 543. It's really not that hard but I think it doesn't attract people looking for PBs and it's in a bit of a weird spot so the average time is quite slow.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 3 weeks later...

25.04 today fastest since 2017.  Pacer 25 was great. Harborough is flat and fast- some tight corners. 

I have entered Ramathon 4 June.

My son was running Leeds  half tomorrow from Headingly, but bad knee all week sadly. 

Edited by Charlie RL
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did Pavilion Gardens parkrun in Buxton today. Lovely park. I've been struggling this week so quite pleased with 26.06

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

2:07 for the Ramathon half.

The online calculator predicted about that from my parkrun times.

My training of 5-15k runs wasn't sufficient.  My legs were weak and I was slow after 15k.

• Like 3

I'm struggling with distance at the moment due to various niggles that flare up above 5 miles. It's annoying because I love long training runs.

Long Eaton parkrun on Saturday was tough - I struggled with lack of sleep the night before and stomach cramps on lap 2. Still, another one done. That's 338 now.

Armley parkrun for me next Saturday.

16 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

2:07 for the Ramathon half.

The online calculator predicted about that from my parkrun times.

My training of 5-15k runs wasn't sufficient.  My legs were weak and I was slow after 15k.

That's handy to know. I had a half booked in when Covid struck and had done a 16k. I would've possibly tried to go on from there tbh.

Recently started again with a long view to getting to a half. This blimming heat sure isn't helping!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

That's handy to know. I had a half booked in when Covid struck and had done a 16k. I would've possibly tried to go on from there tbh.

Most half-marathon training plans for beginners (i.e haven't one done before, just aiming to finish) would typically top out at a 10 mile/16km run a couple of weeks before the race.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

As I've started running again, I've taken in a couple of Parkruns.

I was surprised by the balance of runners, it felt like there were more serious runners than there used to be and fewer people doing it for a bit of fitness. If this is true and not just me misremembering, it would be a real shame I think because it could become off-putting for brand new runners. I took the missus for her first ever 5k there and she was a bit intimidated by it.

I've also been to a lot of junior parkruns recently, and the balance there is definitely skewed to kids that are better at running. I took my niece once, who is an amazing gymnast and does cheerleading etc but as it was her first time struggled and finished dead last. Unsurprisingly, she doesn't want to do it again. I wonder if the low numbers (10-20% of the adult one) has anything to do with that.

Is this anything other people have noticed or has it always been that way?