Hope today answers those that want league 1 split by north and south

they did....and said they would turn down the option to apply for promotion to play at their level than chase a dream that would rip the club apart...

I thought so. That means by mancs definition, Batley should consider joining the NCL or Pennine League.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I need to mention this for those that are confused - The All Golds squad is made up of largely non affiliated University players. There are current players that have graduated from the University on rugby league scholarships and a few current students have shown huge promise and have been rewarded with first team contracts. The majority of players have been sourced locally.

They have five Welsh internationals who have all played a big part in Wales' recent success plus Scottish international Joe McClean and Irish international Graham o"Keeffe.

Plus Alex Davidson and Lamont Bryan - two players that have played in Super League. 

They are a fledgling club who have only been going a couple of seasons. In that short time they've managed to beat teams like Hunslet, York, North Wales Crusaders, Newcastle Thunder. They were the best team in the South last season, by some way.

Of course they'd like bigger crowds - all teams would - but to have a pop at them for small gates is laughable. Some of the teams in their division have been around for over a century yet they struggle to fill seats on a match day.

Their Head Coach - unlike so many other teams in this division - isn't using dual reg. It would be very easy for him to do but he's committed to using the players he's got unlike the pathetic Oxford that are dual rigged with two sides. 

If you want to take a look at the work being done in Gloucestershire to develop top rugby league players - then read this:

http://allgoldsrugby.com/10026-2/

Also the club have just launched a pathway performance team in the Conference League South. They had their first game on Saturday and won at Coventry.

I think I need to mention this for those that are confused - The All Golds squad is NOT comprised of current University students.

They have five Welsh internationals who have all played a big part in Wales' recent success plus Scottish international Joe McClean and Irish international Graham o"Keeffe.

Plus Alex Davidson and Lamont Bryan - two players that have played in Super League.

They are a fledgling club who have only been going a couple of seasons. In that short time they've managed to beat teams like Hunslet, York, North Wales Crusaders, Newcastle Thunder. They were the best team in the South last season, by some way.

Of course they'd like bigger crowds - all teams would - but to have a pop at them for small gates is laughable. Some of the teams in their division have been around for over a century yet they struggle to fill seats on a match day.

Their Head Coach - unlike so many other teams in this division - isn't using dual reg. It would be very easy for him to do but he's committed to using the players he's got unlike the pathetic Oxford that are dual rigged with two sides.

If you want to take a look at the work being done in Gloucestershire to develop top rugby league players - then read this:

http://allgoldsrugby.com/10026-2/

Also the club have just launched a pathway performance team in the Conference League South. They had their first game on Saturday and won at Coventry.

Thanks Moscow. You've explained it clearly. Unlike the hysterical responses I usually get.

Especially the dual reg situation. When the score is explained like this. You'll find the doubters will understand what you're trying to achieve. And that you are moving All Golds in the right direction is a credit to all those involved. Im glad you've made it clear you are an ambitious club. And not some weekend jolly for students. Which another poster was painting this as the pictures at AGs.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Last season the All Golds averaged just under 250.

Quite reasonable considering they were formed in 2013.

I'd be far more concerned if I was a fan of a team that has been around for a hundred years and were only getting four of five hundred through the turnstiles. 

I have no hard feelings towards Oxford.

I just find it completely unacceptable that, for a team hoping to promote the game in the South of England, they are dual registered with not one but two Northern teams. 

As you can probably tell I think the whole system is an absolute joke. Yeaman and Iafaa Palestina playing for Doncaster is absolutely disgraceful. 

I understand Oxford train up in York cause its easier for the Batley and Castleford dual-reg players. Is that not worrying? What kind of damage is that doing to young lads down in Oxford hoping to play semi-professionally?

Nothing would please me more than to see a number of competitive Southern teams - but allowing the likes of Batley and Castleford to decide who plays week in week out for Oxford is just plain wrong. 

Are they no longer two bit, third rate operators?

They are still third rate, like all L1 clubs.Who play in the third tier of UK Rugby League. Obviously.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

I agree about Oxford, they are not a good model for expansionist teams. I do worry about their longevity

I think if you wanted to be really negative Oxford offer many more lessons than that. In their first season under Tony Benson IIRC they refused to have any relationship with other clubs (beyond the players that he brought with him from Oldham). 

However, this didn't lead to success so suddenly they were doing deals with everyone. They have brought through decent players from the local area, and one or two have gone on to greater things. 

I still think it's too easy to rush to judgment on the southern clubs without taking into account what it's like down here. Essentially, a sport is being created from scratch. I have literally had a conversation with someone in the pub in the last hour who didn't know that League existed. Genuinely. I have just had to explain the fact of rugby league's existence and it's differences to Union. This was to a 59 year old sports fan who has been to 6 Nations matches.

They are still third rate, like all L1 clubs.Who play in the third tier of UK Rugby League. Obviously.

so your club is fourth rate?

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

I think if you wanted to be really negative Oxford offer many more lessons than that. In their first season under Tony Benson IIRC they refused to have any relationship with other clubs (beyond the players that he brought with him from Oldham).

However, this didn't lead to success so suddenly they were doing deals with everyone. They have brought through decent players from the local area, and one or two have gone on to greater things.

I still think it's too easy to rush to judgment on the southern clubs without taking into account what it's like down here. Essentially, a sport is being created from scratch. I have literally had a conversation with someone in the pub in the last hour who didn't know that League existed. Genuinely. I have just had to explain the fact of rugby league's existence and it's differences to Union. This was to a 59 year old sports fan who has been to 6 Nations matches.

I agree it's too early to rush judgement but not being based in the local area is hardly going to grow the presence within the community. It's hardly surprising no one knows about it in the local area

Thanks Moscow. You've explained it clearly. Unlike the hysterical responses I usually get.

Especially the dual reg situation. When the score is explained like this. You'll find the doubters will understand what you're trying to achieve. And that you are moving All Golds in the right direction is a credit to all those involved. Im glad you've made it clear you are an ambitious club. And not some weekend jolly for students. Which another poster was painting this as the pictures at AGs.

the university provide Rugby League scholarships & it is one of the aims of the club to provide those lads with a pathway into the team & early days but some have done so but yeah if someone doesn't agree with you they're 'hysterical'.And you tie yourself in knots taking potshots at different posters,either because you perceive their post is somehow a go at you (without mentioning you) or they have the temerity to disagree with you, so in the course of a thread you go from making a snide remark about a club,then suggesting there's no point in their continuance and then ending up lauding them! Chill & you'll find the forum becomes a more enjoyable exchange of ideas

edit: hopefully my final word on this or any other matter with you but the squad at weekend had 4 students/graduates of the uni & 4 others have already featured this season

Oxford couldn't even play Conference League South with local players. It's basically pro or nothing from them (Oxford Cavaliers already play West of England).

Gloucestershire All Golds have a strong reserve team and I imagine there will be more students at that level? I know Coventry Bears have encouraged students to play for them

the university provide Rugby League scholarships & it is one of the aims of the club to provide those lads with a pathway into the team & early days but some have done so but yeah if someone doesn't agree with you they're 'hysterical'.And you tie yourself in knots taking potshots at different posters,either because you perceive their post is somehow a go at you (without mentioning you) or they have the temerity to disagree with you, so in the course of a thread you go from making a snide remark about a club,then suggesting there's no point in their continuance and then ending up lauding them! Chill & you'll find the forum becomes a more 7

enjoyable exchange of ideas

edit: hopefully my final word on this or any other matter with you but the squad at weekend had 4 students/graduates of the uni & 4 others have already featured this season

Don't get your knickers in a twist. It's only a RL forum.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

They're not in the 4th division so no I wouldn't have thought so. More like 10th rate

Yeah they're 10th rate. ......Do you feel better now for that?

​​ 

​                       

​                        

Can I just point out that Oxford have split location training. Midweek training typically occurs in both Abingdon and York. Most last time I spoke to a club official, earlier this season, there had been twenty or so players training down south that week. Oxford do carry northern players, as do All Golds unless Johnny Leather has moved since he played for Oxford, and they can't realistically be expected to train down south midweek. The training locations pre date the dual reg agreements and has nothing to do with them.

I think most people at the club would love to go back to having no dual reg however the finances dictated otherwise.

Can I just point out that Oxford have split location training. Midweek training typically occurs in both Abingdon and York. Most last time I spoke to a club official, earlier this season, there had been twenty or so players training down south that week. Oxford do carry northern players, as do All Golds unless Johnny Leather has moved since he played for Oxford, and they can't realistically be expected to train down south midweek. The training locations pre date the dual reg agreements and has nothing to do with them.

I think most people at the club would love to go back to having no dual reg however the finances dictated otherwise.

It's a big change from picking up players at the Greyhound roundabout for homegames while the WAGs visit Bents.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Yeah they're 10th rate. ......Do you feel better now for that?

dont get hysterical

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

dont get hysterical

Hey-up, who is this new Not Right having a dig.

Police alert! A village is missing its IDIOT known locally as JannerBoy.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

do you know it takes time to establish a sustainable RL club. Skolars is built on solid foundations but its taken over 20 years. club now has kids teams from U7 to U19s, academy team, college & FE team and off course first team. Plus masters. we also are finally getting our own club house which will be massive for all sorts of reasons.

the team that played doncaster had no northern travellers or overseas players. basically london produced. yes there are a couple of dual reg but bear in mind all junior kids from skolars go into broncos academy as do all southern kids from clubs down here so effectively the are custodians of the souther academy. so quid pro quo the dual regs are only fair and often lads who have come from the pathways here.

however league 1 football doesnt pay the bills. we probably get better crowds than most but we survive off the back of our innovation Capital Challenge v Wigan, Friday Night Lights and City Touch. These provide way more revenues than attendances at L1 games.

i dont agree Glos were the stand out southern team last year. We started badly but gave them a real hiding at our spot later in the season and I think that showed things to come. This season is going to be interesting. it will be close between us but i think we will beat some decent northern teams between us,

as to the lad that said doncaster put a weak team out at home against us needs to look at the team lists and remember we travelled to them. also dont forget when we finished 4th and beat a lot of decent sides in the comp 3 or 4 years ago and lost narrowly by 2 points to Rochdale in the play offs. shows it can be done.

Archived