Thornton post-Skolars

Dons News

<p>Gary Thornton was critical of his Doncaster side after they succumbed to a fight back from London Skolars to crash out of the iPRO Sports Cup.</p>

<p>Dons lead 12-6 midway through the first half but went in two points adrift at the break and the Skolars only extended that lead to twelve points by the hooter.</p>

<p>“I was disappointed at half time going in behind but I thought we’d have enough about us to go on and win it but we did not even create any chances in the second half to score,” bemoaned the Head Coach.</p>

<p>“We played off the cuff, we didn’t play to our structures, we didn’t stick to our game plan and there were too many individuals out there with their own agenda and its not acceptable.</p>

<p>“I’m massively disappointed again, I thought we might have turned it round this week but it wasn’t to be. I’m not going to blame injuries because I still believe we had seventeen players out there who were good enough to win the game on their day but we were out-enthused by an enthusiastic  side who wanted to defend their line better than we did.”</p>

<p>Thornton now turns his attentions back to domestic action when North Wales Crusaders visit Keepmoat Stadium on Sunday, but the Dons will need to improve at both end of the field amidst a “reality check.”</p>

<p>“We’ve conceded three soft tries; two from kicks and then a one on one steal which looks soft as well but that aside I don’t think we created enough chances in attack to deserve to win the game,” Thornton continued.</p>

<p>“It’s definitely a reality check and in the current form we’re in, I don’t think we can take anybody lightly because we’re struggling and we’re under the pump.</p>

<p>“Obviously injuries to key players aren’t helping but like I said earlier I thought we had enough quality to go out there and win and we haven’t so I think the players need to look at themselves.</p>

<p>“We’re all working really hard but we’re not where we need to be at the moment and we need to change that really, really quickly.”</p>

View the full article

Archived