Dual-registration - should we put an end to it?

Hi all,

Did this piece today on dual-registration (http://www.totalrl.com/dual-registration-time-end/) and wondered how you all feel about it these days?

As a guy who loves Championship rugby, I'm uneasy with the fact that the top four and the financial implications could be decided by Super League players dropping down at any point in the season and potentially for just one big game.

I hope you're enjoying the forums

Matt

Get rid, the sooner the better, and invest in a proper junior and reserve setup.

So that's Fev stuffed then, as for the rest of your tirade.....

Time to stop D.R it's unfair to clubs that try to bring their own young players through.

............Leeds already bring their own players through?

But if you mean Championship clubs then how can they afford to run player development systems, and given SL clubs swallow the best 300 young players each year where can they recruit from?

Not true Parky, the DR the previous owners had with Wigan nearly killed the club. The first thing the guys who rescued the club did was get rid at the end of the season, Derek came in as one of that group, two others are still on the board, he just decided he wanted to go for it once he got the bug again. Fair bit of money sat upstairs on match days at Leigh these days

Doesn't DR exist only for Gary Hetherington's benefit now?

Scrap it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Doesn't DR exist only for Gary Hetherington's benefit now?

Scrap it.

I may be wrong but I think the only DR "partnerships" in the Championship now are Leeds & Fev, Widnes & Whitehaven and Huddersfield & Oldham.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Parky, regarding Fev and bringing youth through. I think there was 4 that played on Sunday that had come through the system. As for having a pathway for players from academy right through to 1st team, at the end of last season the rug was well and truly pulled from under Fevs feet, I believe there was only Fev and Sheffield in the championship that had an academy set up. Then the RL to their incompetence decided to rejig the structures and pathway system, meaning that after god knows how many years Fev who had financed the pathway themselves were in a position where they had no option but to disolve the academy. To end with I like how you play devils advocate Parky it makes for some interesting reading.

So that's Fev stuffed then, as for the rest of your tirade.....

............Leeds already bring their own players through?

But if you mean Championship clubs then how can they afford to run player development systems, and given SL clubs swallow the best 300 young players each year where can they recruit from?

I am for DR however London and other Southern / welsh or hey France or Canada have pools of potential players largely untouched by SL... this would not only grow the game but also develop SL quality players!

It would also help clubs beisge the gap from league 1 to the champ!

DR could have been successful for the fringe squad players at clubs.

However, when Morley and Bridge played for Swinton then it became not fit for purpose. Not picking on Swinton but the best example I cold think of whilst typing this.

Or when Wane threatened his players with the reserves (Workington) showed it had lost its way

The catalyst was the SL teams scrapping reserves, but there was still nothing wrong with loan arrangements, where the SL team couldn't dictate to its 'partner' as it was a fixed term.

At all levels Rugby League teams can't exist on squads of 20 players as most have an injury crisis at some point, but with squads of 25 or 28 there could be a lot of players kicking their heels, and 6 weeks without getting a game can mean they are out of condition and timing has gone. Its a difficult situation as we owe those young players a duty to develop them as rugby players, but if the are only getting say 8 games over 2 seasons - it doesn't do much for their development.

Some then get peed off and return to their amateur teams - my own club has lost 2 from last season, for this reason due to them not getting game time, but then we couldn't field 17 recently. An unacceptable situation.

On balance DR has to go, but something else has to replace it. Academies - no club should be denied running an Academy team if they want to and finance it. Reserves - combined reserves could work. Again, it needs decisions making for the good of the game overall - developing and expanding the talent pool at all levels, not just myopic thinking and saving a few quid.

Parky, regarding Fev and bringing youth through. I think there was 4 that played on Sunday that had come through the system. As for having a pathway for players from academy right through to 1st team, at the end of last season the rug was well and truly pulled from under Fevs feet, I believe there was only Fev and Sheffield in the championship that had an academy set up. Then the RL to their incompetence decided to rejig the structures and pathway system, meaning that after god knows how many years Fev who had financed the pathway themselves were in a position where they had no option but to disolve the academy. To end with I like how you play devils advocate Parky it makes for some interesting reading.

It just needs some financial realities putting in at times, and the reality that there isn't a stream of young players ready to be trained up as professionals by the championship.

Fev, Sheffield, etc ran academies to meet licensing requirements, and now that has gone out of the window.If SL mop up all the talent for their academies it makes sense for the Championship clubs to recruit from there for the best of the lads who don't get an SL contract.

DR provides lads who do get SL contracts as we saw with Jordan Lilley and Baldwinson on Sunday. Whilst this is no way to build a "Superleague club" it's not about that it's about surviving.

The purists may say we want to go with our own players, but I bet you when their club does and ends up in League 1 they won't be so pleased.

Oldham look like they could survive in the championship on their dual reg whilst Fev would I believe struggle without it. Sadly it has a value. No dual reg players from Leeds are going to Hunslet AFAIK, do Championship fans want to end up where they are?

DR could have been successful for the fringe squad players at clubs.

However, when Morley and Bridge played for Swinton then it became not fit for purpose. Not picking on Swinton but the best example I cold think of whilst typing this.

Or when Wane threatened his players with the reserves (Workington) showed it had lost its way

The catalyst was the SL teams scrapping reserves, but there was still nothing wrong with loan arrangements, where the SL team couldn't dictate to its 'partner' as it was a fixed term.

At all levels Rugby League teams can't exist on squads of 20 players as most have an injury crisis at some point, but with squads of 25 or 28 there could be a lot of players kicking their heels, and 6 weeks without getting a game can mean they are out of condition and timing has gone. Its a difficult situation as we owe those young players a duty to develop them as rugby players, but if the are only getting say 8 games over 2 seasons - it doesn't do much for their development.

Some then get peed off and return to their amateur teams - my own club has lost 2 from last season, for this reason due to them not getting game time, but then we couldn't field 17 recently. An unacceptable situation.

On balance DR has to go, but something else has to replace it. Academies - no club should be denied running an Academy team if they want to and finance it. Reserves - combined reserves could work. Again, it needs decisions making for the good of the game overall - developing and expanding the talent pool at all levels, not just myopic thinking and saving a few quid.

Thats pretty much my view. I'd like to see it scrapped but if it does stay then the rules need to change so you can't just parachute experienced SL players into a Championship club at will.  If players go from a SL club to a Championship club then is should be for a minimum duration - say a month at a time

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

It's ironic that Fev have D/r'd with Hunslet since Leeds ended their association at the end of last season. I think the RL have some questions about Pathways and Structures at clubs, it's time as a sport we decided where we see our youth coming from. Finally you've only to look at the so-called reserve grade this season, it's ridiculous when only about 8 teams actually run them. 

Archived