Ryan mcgoldrick

TrueBlue

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a kid in the 70's we signed a huge Aussie prop called Bruce Gibbs. Fat as a barrell he was, he made big Gav Brown look slim, but he couldn't half play.

fantastic prop, hair down his back but could play, lost an arm in a farming accident I believe when he went home

When I was a kid in the 70's we signed a huge Aussie prop called Bruce Gibbs. Fat as a barrell he was, he made big Gav Brown look slim, but he couldn't half play.

Always remember taking a mate of mine from Sunderland to a Town A team game on a Saturday. He was a round ball fan and had never seen an RL match in his life. When the teams ran out my mate's eyes were like organ stops. Jesus Christ !he said- that lad's got no neck!          Gavin Brown.    

Aye along with the players that were foreign rhubarb we have had some gems too. Let's not forget that in Stacky we have one that could end up in the Town hall of fame.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Always remember taking a mate of mine from Sunderland to a Town A team game on a Saturday. He was a round ball fan and had never seen an RL match in his life. When the teams ran out my mate's eyes were like organ stops. Jesus Christ !he said- that lad's got no neck!          Gavin Brown.

We scored loads of tries from penalties near the opposition line with the "flying wedge" led by big Gav until they outlawed it.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Aye along with the players that were foreign rhubarb we have had some gems too. Let's not forget that in Stacky we have one that could end up in the Town hall of fame.

Agreed- Jarrad has been our go-to man for a long time now ,not just because of his talent and energy ,but clearly his very presence on the team sheet lifts the spirits and expectations of team mates and fans alike. His loyalty has been exemplary--we all know he could have moved on for a bigger pay cheque and probably more tangible achievements at a higher level. I'd put him up there with King Kenny Kerr- imagine them both in the same side- think they would have done some damage 

We scored loads of tries from penalties near the opposition line with the "flying wedge" led by big Gav until they outlawed it.

What better for such a ploy than a man with "no neck"?   My Marra from Sunderland was in the R A F  based in Cyprus and he saw some pretty disturbing action in that divided island but he always maintained that the Saturday match I inflicted on him gave his soccer oriented brain a huge culture shock. Apart from Gavin's apparent absence of any discernible neck, he could never understand why a bunch of guys could inflict such punishment on each other for the price of a few beers and a packet of fags. 

Butch Fatnowna could have been a top player, he had the skills and pace. However, it never quite worked out as well as it could

Mark Wilkes was steady. Bruce Gibbs was a good signing for a season. Think he came across with a half back - Neville Elwin, who didn't get many games.

Shane Varley was a quality half back in his short time here

Of course we had Tony Smith for a few games as well

Butch Fatnowna could have been a top player, he had the skills and pace. However, it never quite worked out as well as it could

Mark Wilkes was steady. Bruce Gibbs was a good signing for a season. Think he came across with a half back - Neville Elwin, who didn't get many games.

Shane Varley was a quality half back in his short time here

Of course we had Tony Smith for a few games as well

Shane Varley was certainly a good signing -an authentic southern hemisphere scooting half back with loads in his locker. As for Tony Smith- didn't bring much to the cause and went on record as saying that his time at Town was significant for the trauma of having to live above a working fish and chip shop . Get some counselling Tony it must have been hell breathing in all those haddock fumes -it obviously affected your performances in a Town shirt because you were on a par with Shaun Wane for maximum disappointment  in your time at D.P.  

Shane Varley was certainly a good signing -an authentic southern hemisphere scooting half back with loads in his locker. As for Tony Smith- didn't bring much to the cause and went on record as saying that his time at Town was significant for the trauma of having to live above a working fish and chip shop . Get some counselling Tony it must have been hell breathing in all those haddock fumes -it obviously affected your performances in a Town shirt because you were on a par with Shaun Wane for maximum disappointment  in your time at D.P.  

Never as bad as Wane surely?! I think Wane has held a grudge against us for the abuse he received from the terraces ever since.

The blue dolphin has a lot to answer for...

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Never as bad as Wane surely?! I think Wane has held a grudge against us for the abuse he received from the terraces ever since.

Wasn't much between Smith and Wane in the mediocrity stakes. If you take Wane's response to the 62-0 dismantling at Wakefield it shows you that there isn't much more between his ears than his attitude towards the punishment posting psychology he adopted towards the lads he sent up here last season. The guy is a Neanderthal and his time is surely up at the supreme Pie-eaters. 

That last bit has a bit of film-noir cachet Voodoo! Should expand it into a virtual concept starring Humphrey Bogart and Peter Lorre !  The Blue Dolphin. _-----------sounds even better than -The Maltese Falcon. Something to work on there?

That last bit has a bit of film-noir cachet Voodoo! Should expand it into a virtual concept starring Humphrey Bogart and Peter Lorre !  The Blue Dolphin. _-----------sounds even better than -The Maltese Falcon. Something to work on there?

Have you been on the sherry again SS??

Trying to imagine some kind of romantic sepia tinted vision is pretty hard when the first senses are of burnt fat and vinegar,

Have you been on the sherry again SS??

Trying to imagine some kind of romantic sepia tinted vision is pretty hard when the first senses are of burnt fat and vinegar,

Have to own up to being influenced by getting outside a good bottle of red. In our current plight it seemed like the comforting option. Nevertheless I still think the Blue Dolphin angle has some mileage . Remember that rather good film "This sporting life" starring Richard Harris? Pretty authentic depiction of the great game as it played out "oop North " Doesn't take a huge leap of imagination to translate that script to a rainy ,chip fat infused Workington back drop with Tony Smith as the disgruntled Aussie pro. at the fag -end of his career . Collin Welland that recently deceased playwright and Rugby League afficionado would have done a good job. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Any more of this cultural badinage might move some insensitive person to suggest us getting a ####### room!  

Did Tony Smith do anything in the few games he managed?

Dont recall anything so prob not!

All I remember is huge bombs but never like Brett Smith can I remember him catching one and scoring

To be fair to Wane he only played about 6 games and then got injured and that was about that for him

I remember Tony Smith was far ahead in thought of the players around him at the time, so he'd be there exploiting the gaps, but there was no player to go through the gap. So it would look as though Smith was running up an alley. Again, maybe another one who didn't play enough games to get a true impression. He looked frustrated at times with what he had to work with - bit like Sammut at the moment who is maybe trying too hard and getting frustrated and sinbinned. Think Smith was a desperation signing part way through the season whne we were already bottom of SL

(My stats are boxed up and elsewhere otherwise I'd look up how many games Wane and Smith played)

Someone mentioned Jason Palmada. He didn't look up to much at the start, but then he really came on and at times became the best forward

Archived