Have Barla thrown the towel in ?

Got to admit I was firmly in the summer camp but the community game is on its ###### in west Cumbria.

The NCL sides are doing better than the rest but the clubs in the Cumbria and Cumberland leagues are all really struggling for numbers and there's very little interest in the game.

The Cumbria academy has finished as they couldn't get anyone to play for it, the least said about our local

Professional side the better.

I'm Undecided on whether a change back to winter would help, but it is part of a wider problem that highlights the problems facing the community game at present and the lack of leadership within the community game

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to admit I was firmly in the summer camp but the community game is on its ###### in west Cumbria.

The NCL sides are doing better than the rest but the clubs in the Cumbria and Cumberland leagues are all really struggling for numbers and there's very little interest in the game.

The Cumbria academy has finished as they couldn't get anyone to play for it, the least said about our local

Professional side the better.

I'm Undecided on whether a change back to winter would help, but it is part of a wider problem that highlights the problems facing the community game at present and the lack of leadership within the community game

I don't think winter is the answer as the Pennine league is doing even worse than the summer leagues. I do think there's a need for a new amateur body run by someone like Stuart Prior that embraces the summer and non heartland leagues and is modernised. No more prioritising local cups over league games

I don't think winter is the answer as the Pennine league is doing even worse than the summer leagues. I do think there's a need for a new amateur body run by someone like Stuart Prior that embraces the summer and non heartland leagues and is modernised. No more prioritising local cups over league games

Agree 100% - although it needs input from all interested parties to form a new voice for the community game with an open election process.

Stu Prior may indeed be the man for the job, but this needs to be a concerted team effort with all stakeholders pulling in the same direction.

Its important that the RFL are included in this process as well, but need they need to understand that the community game has declined rapidly under its tenure, and its vital the combined experience of 100's of volunteers in the community game is tapped into to rebuild our sport from the bottom up.

Flexibility is the key, as what works in one area won't necessarily work in another 

Take it from me there are people who are employed by the RFL don't give two hoots about the community game and I have mountains of evidence to support .

My personal opinion is the community game would be better of as a stand alone operation away from the RFL .

Bowes you don't seem to get it, the CMS Yorkshire league fell apart because of poor management, teams jumped ship to the better run Pennine only to find out it wasn't the truth, when this was found out teams then went to the only alternative (the better side where also offered a place in the NCL even without a vote)  the remaining teams then wanted to start the CMS Yorkshire league again, but the community game including BARLA wouldn't allow this to happen, hence the summer benefitting, so at the moment it's still not a case of sun vs rain, If a good guy/girl got hold of the reins who didn't want the pats on the back or a medal from the Queen the amateur game in the winter would start and go upwards and onwards (why has union in the heartlands started doing so well since the dash to summer)

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

After being with a club for 30 years and a District league for 26 years I cannot see what BARLA have done for either but saying that I cannot see what the RFL have done for my team or District either or what are they are going to do for them now. The game is in decline but this is not due to winter/summer but due to kids not being interested in sport although Rugby Union is rubbing its hands in Hull and Yorkshire as kids are playing Union now in Winter and not coming back.  mobile phones, computer games and tablets have a lot to do with it as well as working the weekend for the Youth & open age players. No Youth then no open age. Does anybody think if BARLA throws the towel in the RFL and community board would allow some other organisation to jump in and set up for the amateur game, NO. The RFL was to put sanction on all leagues that did not sign up for the operational rules, No referee`s, No child protection, No insurance and many more items was going to be stopped. BARLA are allowed to sit at meetings but do not get a say or a vote in any Youth & junior as they are all under the RFL and community board weather you are independent or not.

Barla run the Yorkshire Youth & Junior cups with over 3000 youth & junior players involved, the National Youth & Junior cups with over 4000 involved, The Yorkshire & National Cups at open age as well as the 3 counties and internationals. that's as far as Barla go.

The RFL run everything, when tours are sorted out and when Barla can play the 3 Counties games.

At youth & Juniors you all have a vote and a say which Barla do not have.

If all the playing Leagues & District Leagues went back to Barla and a new committee was put in place what is going to happen, more money NO, more players NO, Super League will still take the academy players weather you like it or not and the RFL and community board will still set the rules that you and Barla still play under.

After being with a club for 30 years and a District league for 26 years I cannot see what BARLA have done for either but saying that I cannot see what the RFL have done for my team or District either or what are they are going to do for them now. The game is in decline but this is not due to winter/summer but due to kids not being interested in sport although Rugby Union is rubbing its hands in Hull and Yorkshire as kids are playing Union now in Winter and not coming back.  mobile phones, computer games and tablets have a lot to do with it as well as working the weekend for the Youth & open age players. No Youth then no open age. Does anybody think if BARLA throws the towel in the RFL and community board would allow some other organisation to jump in and set up for the amateur game, NO. The RFL was to put sanction on all leagues that did not sign up for the operational rules, No referee`s, No child protection, No insurance and many more items was going to be stopped. BARLA are allowed to sit at meetings but do not get a say or a vote in any Youth & junior as they are all under the RFL and community board weather you are independent or not.

Barla run the Yorkshire Youth & Junior cups with over 3000 youth & junior players involved, the National Youth & Junior cups with over 4000 involved, The Yorkshire & National Cups at open age as well as the 3 counties and internationals. that's as far as Barla go.

The RFL run everything, when tours are sorted out and when Barla can play the 3 Counties games.

If all the playing Leagues & District Leagues went back to Barla and a new committee was put in place what is going to happen, more money NO, more players NO, Super League will still take the academy players weather you like it or not and the RFL and community board will still set the rules that you and Barla still play under.

Yep but the amateurs would be holding the rudder

After being with a club for 30 years and a District league for 26 years I cannot see what BARLA have done for either but saying that I cannot see what the RFL have done for my team or District either or what are they are going to do for them now. The game is in decline but this is not due to winter/summer but due to kids not being interested in sport although Rugby Union is rubbing its hands in Hull and Yorkshire as kids are playing Union now in Winter and not coming back. mobile phones, computer games and tablets have a lot to do with it as well as working the weekend for the Youth & open age players. No Youth then no open age. Does anybody think if BARLA throws the towel in the RFL and community board would allow some other organisation to jump in and set up for the amateur game, NO. The RFL was to put sanction on all leagues that did not sign up for the operational rules, No referee`s, No child protection, No insurance and many more items was going to be stopped. BARLA are allowed to sit at meetings but do not get a say or a vote in any Youth & junior as they are all under the RFL and community board weather you are independent or not.

Barla run the Yorkshire Youth & Junior cups with over 3000 youth & junior players involved, the National Youth & Junior cups with over 4000 involved, The Yorkshire & National Cups at open age as well as the 3 counties and internationals. that's as far as Barla go.

If all the playing Leagues & District Leagues went back to Barla and a new committee was put in place what is going to happen, more money NO, more players NO, Super League will still take the academy players weather you like it or not and the RFL and community board will still set the rules that you and Barla still play under.

Utter rubbish ,

History tells us a strong Barla had a voice and did impact change , a strong Barla run and represented properly by passionate volunteers can stand alone tap into various revenue streams and then no need to cow tow to a self centred organisation .

My challenge to the current board if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen and stand aside for a new body of people who can and will re build Barla and get the respect back of the community game .

Utter rubbish ,

History tells us a strong Barla had a voice and did impact change , a strong Barla run and represented properly by passionate volunteers can stand alone tap into various revenue streams and then no need to cow tow to a self centred organisation .

My challenge to the current board if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen and stand aside for a new body of people who can and will re build Barla and get the respect back of the community game .

Yes History and that's how it will stay History, Barla did the job many years ago and this was good for the game at the time, Barla do no longer run many of the district leagues, the RFL said you do not have to be in a district league to play rugby. tap in to revenue streams, why, Barla have the money but while the RFL run referee`s, child protection, insurance and many other aspects of the game they will continue to run the game. like I have said the Youth & juniors have a vote and go to meetings Barla do not, when everybody at amateur signed up to the Operational rules and in the end so did Barla and Hull, you signed up to the RFL now you are crying cause Barla cant do owt.

Barla do not get a vote on the Youth & juniors and no matter who is in charge of Barla they still will not. Barla are and will be out voted at every meeting as the RFL has more people in their pockets.

If everybody stuck together instead of squabbling and writing letters then the game may go forward, Barla would never be strong enough now to do anything to change what is happening.

Try setting up a new organisation and see how far you would get or apply to sit on the board yourselves and you may then see the brick wall that is in front of you.

Barla board signed to the operational rules before we did , you are so ill informed .

The real issue you do not grasp is that under the leadership Sue Taylor and Spen Allinson Barla boards alianated themselves from the members they purport to represent .

And we asked for support we did not get any .

You refer to Y&J when did Barla last hold a Y&J meeting ?

Have Barla got a Y&J chair ?

Barla have a place on the Community Board who do they represent ?

Why have Barla removed volunteers who challenge the leadership to lead ?

Who are the Barla Board and where are they from ?

Why have the district leagues collapsed ?

Who benefits if Barla Fold ?

Where are the Barla Assets ?

I am still holding my breath from the last question I asked

Barla had many meetings with the district leagues who run Barla as you will know, to ask what they wished to do about signing the operational rules,

Barla do not run a playing league but with the playing leagues that are still full members of Barla, Pennine and Hull they agreed to sign up as the RFL was going to stop referee`s and a lot more.

Barla do not have a youth & junior chair as Barla do no longer run any youth & juniors and do not get a say at any meetings regarding Youth & juniors that was said by Kelly Barrett.

Barla represent the District leagues on the community board but like I have said they have an input but will be voted out every time due to the amount of RFL delegates on the community board.

The Barla board are all voted on District League management, agreed at the last Barla AGM and voted on.

District Leagues have collapsed due to a club not having to be in a district league to play rugby, many years ago as you will know all clubs had to be members of a district league to play in any playing league, Only Hull & District and the Pennine still work to this rule.

Jackie Reid is a Barla Trustee but never comes to any meetings, he gets all the minutes and agenda`s of meetings.

All full paid up members of Barla would benefit if Barla was to fold.

All the assets of Barla can be seen at an AGM when the balance sheet is accepted.

Good luck with the new Amateur governing body.

Barla had many meetings with the district leagues who run Barla as you will know, to ask what they wished to do about signing the operational rules,

Barla do not run a playing league but with the playing leagues that are still full members of Barla, Pennine and Hull they agreed to sign up as the RFL was going to stop referee`s and a lot more.

Barla do not have a youth & junior chair as Barla do no longer run any youth & juniors and do not get a say at any meetings regarding Youth & juniors that was said by Kelly Barrett.

Barla represent the District leagues on the community board but like I have said they have an input but will be voted out every time due to the amount of RFL delegates on the community board.

The Barla board are all voted on District League management, agreed at the last Barla AGM and voted on.

District Leagues have collapsed due to a club not having to be in a district league to play rugby, many years ago as you will know all clubs had to be members of a district league to play in any playing league, Only Hull & District and the Pennine still work to this rule.

Jackie Reid is a Barla Trustee but never comes to any meetings, he gets all the minutes and agenda`s of meetings.

All the assets of Barla can be seen at an AGM when the balance sheet is accepted.

What was the lot more ? and district leagues who where not in favour of a certain person have been silenced one way or another, in stead of removing persons, team, district league some need to step outside their little box and look at the bigger picture, why punish when a comforting arm would work wonders. 

Barla do not have a youth & junior chair as Barla do no longer run any youth & juniors and do not get a say at any meetings regarding Youth & juniors that was said by Kelly Barrett.

You see ,you lost your membership why do you think that was ?

Someone at Barla as to be accountable for the mass exodus , if you was providing what the membership wanted do you think all the leagues would have gone to that greener grass as you put it .

So it's every bodies fault bar your own there lies the problem you do nowt you get nowt back .

The community game deserves and demands an effective voice you are no longer up to it .

And the cynics amongst us could argue the point that it was the plan to wind Barla up dilute the membership to make it so that only a few will benefit .

You have been in Rugby League a long time, The Yorkshire juniors came out of Barla due to not getting there own way, this was before most of the committee that are here now was on the Board, NCL also went but that was down to Barla allowing them to, if they had not allowed them to they would have gone anyway. Most leagues now play summer under the RFL, if all Amateur was under one roof then a voice could be heard but that will never happen as the Youth & juniors want different than the Open age, The NCL want to run their league themselves.

Barla will never please everyone and neither will the RFL.

So the towel has been thrown in ?

With the right people running a modern Barla the community game can regain its voice problem is there is no one on the current Barla board with the charisma and drive to impact change , it's sad to see the demise of a once great organisation being run into oblivion .

Actions speak louder than words Barla can re emerge and now is the right time .

.... but that will never happen as the Youth & juniors want different than the Open age,

That was never true, quite the opposite in fact. The Youth & Junior game (with the greater number of teams and participants) only ever wanted to be treated with the same respect that the Open Age game was by BARLA.

Those points were put to the BARLA Board in a presentation at West Yorkshire House but not a single thing was acted on and the Y&J game continued to be treated with disdain .... compounded by the atrocious attitude towards the various NW Counties leagues as the Board tried to 'put them in their place' by ceasing their membership on a fabricated technicality!! Sadly, for BARLA, this backfired on such a monumental scale that they came back cap in hand asking the Leagues to rejoin but by then irreparable damage had been done!

As TaxiEgg says, there IS a place in the sport for a representative body for the amateur game but sadly the existing body, BARLA, is no longer fit for purpose. The game is screaming out for promotion to help increase participation but some are too busy feathering their own nests, looking towards the next trip abroad, to bother to do something about it.

Unfortunately unless the right people, with the right amount of commitment and enthusiasm are found to lead ALL age groups of the sport then the whole amateur side of the game will start down the same slippery slope to oblivion that the current BARLA is on!

BARLA either has to man up quickly or do the decent thing and stand aside!!!

Sam you are right in many ways but what I ment was what you said, Barla was not listening, the RFL has control and the exodus of leagues and did actually start with the Yorkshire juniors earlier with pulling out of Barla. The RFL allowed this to happen and turned away allowing anybody to pull out.

If anyone thinks a new organisation will start or a new Barla board will get things changed they are living in cloud coo-coo land, you cant even start a new league without the approval of the RFL, Once you signed the Operational rules then you signed over to the RFL as Barla did due to been told we would not get referee`s at any Barla games.

Barla have not thrown the towel in but run the Cups, 3 counties and internationals. That's it. Barla no longer have any say over the remaining Playing leagues or District Leagues

i keep saying but nobody listens, BARLA do not get a vote on Youth & juniors and have no say and never will have unless everyone pulls away from the RFL and community board which will not happen., they no longer run any Youth & Juniors apart from in a cup competition and the 3 Counties at 17`s.

Rather than talking Drivle LuckyMutz perhaps you could put something up on your website or this forum about the Sad Passing of Jackie Reid MBE last night

A true friend of mine and a great servant to BARLA

I only knew Jackie Reid for a short time and had not much knowledge of what he did in the past so I wanted some of the Barla board who knew him better to write something, I only found out late Wednesday afternoon and did not return home till late after a rugby meeting and by Thursday morning a short clip was on followed by more info both on the Facebook BARLA and the Barla website. Hopefully that was enough Drivel for you Wilber. Spelt right this time.

Sorry for the spelling Mistake next  ill use nonsense · twaddle · claptrap · balderdash or gibberish as they are easier to spell.

However to explain your Drivel! what if instead of trying to defend actions every time you try come telling us something positive that BARLA are doing. 

Nobody will listen to a toothless donkey as actions speak louder than words. People would admire you trying to make a difference rather than capitulating to every whim and the way i see it you have given up and refuse to fight, easy step aside and let others with bigger teeth than Janet Street Porter have a go.

Stuart

Archived