Have Barla thrown the towel in ?

Sorry for the spelling Mistake next  ill use nonsense · twaddle · claptrap · balderdash or gibberish as they are easier to spell.

However to explain your Drivel! what if instead of trying to defend actions every time you try come telling us something positive that BARLA are doing. 

Nobody will listen to a toothless donkey as actions speak louder than words. People would admire you trying to make a difference rather than capitulating to every whim and the way i see it you have given up and refuse to fight, easy step aside and let others with bigger teeth than Janet Street Porter have a go.

Stuart

Is it time for the annoyed good men and women who have been sitting on the outside watching to get together and start a fight to wrestle back democracy and cohesion 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the lack of response to this and the 'What Should Be The Priority' thread indicates an increasing apathy in the community game .... no-one seems to have the drive/passion to do anything.

Reading on here, and knowing Wilber, I do think that he could be the right person to revitalise BARLA or, if that is beyond saving, developing a new organisation to drive the game forward.

I certainly hope so because, if not, the whole community game is on the same downwards trajectory as BARLA is currently on!!

I think the lack of response to this and the 'What Should Be The Priority' thread indicates an increasing apathy in the community game .... no-one seems to have the drive/passion to do anything.

Reading on here, and knowing Wilber, I do think that he could be the right person to revitalise BARLA or, if that is beyond saving, developing a new organisation to drive the game forward.

I certainly hope so because, if not, the whole community game is on the same downwards trajectory as BARLA is currently on!!

Sorry to say you are correct

People write stuff but where are your actions at combating the situation, its up to you on the youth & juniors to sort this out, Barla do NOT have a vote on the Youth & Juniors.  Barla do NOT run youth & juniors so why not all the Youth & Junior leagues get a new organisation to run all Youth & Juniors as everyone keeps saying. Cause the RFL would not allow it.

Phil, its not about just youth and Junior its about how effective the BARLA board of management are in general at all levels.

They have given up, if they haven't please lets us know their strategy for the next 5 years? What are they going to achieve, what is their purpose, or what is their sole aim come on lets have the meat on the bones

The RFL cant stop you making a strategy now can they?

People write stuff but where are your actions at combating the situation, its up to you on the youth & juniors to sort this out, Barla do NOT have a vote on the Youth & Juniors. Barla do NOT run youth & juniors so why not all the Youth & Junior leagues get a new organisation to run all Youth & Juniors as everyone keeps saying. Cause the RFL would not allow it.

But weren't BARLA meant to represent ALL the community/amateur game? Clearly not!

By your own admission you seem to imply that it today, and henceforth, wishes to concentrate solely on Open Age and wash it's hands of the only expanding area of the game .... what unbelievable short-sightedness!!!! And you wonder why people consider BARLA to be losing it's fitness for purpose??

BARLA used to run both Open Age AND Y&J Meetings but eventually the latter just became a distant memory consigned to history. Perhaps, had they kept their ear to the ground, and listened to the discontent that was evident then they may have acted in good time to prevent it's disassociation from the future players of the game. Instead, as they continue to do to this day, they apathetically buried their heads in the ground whilst still misbelieving they have a major role to play in the future of the game.

It would definitely appear that the more things change at BARLA the more it truly remains the same!!

Sam, some people that write on this forum was on the Barla board when the youth & juniors left Barla, most of the Barla committee that are in now was not, they have come on the board with not much left to hold on to.

Barla are not putting their head in the sand but they do no longer run Youth & Juniors or any open age playing leagues, all Barla can run now is the County Cups, National Cup, 3 Counties and internationals. The Youth & Junior leagues all have a representative at the Youth & Junior meetings so all them have a say and a vote. if the Youth & Juniors cannot change anything how can Barla when no youth & juniors leagues are affiliated to them.

Barla do not wish to concentrate only on open age as the County & national cup runs Youth & Junior & open age. the figures below are based on a team with 13 players only, many teams have 18-25.

Yorkshire Cup,

12`s,......28 teams.......364 players

13`s........31 teams......403 players

14`s........31 teams......403 players

15`s........24 teams......312 players

16`s.......29 teams.......377 players

17`s.......14 teams.......182 players

18`s.......10 teams.......130 players

Total.........................2171 players

National cup

14`s........39 teams.......507

16`s........37 teams.......481

18`s........25 teams.......325

Total...........................1213

That is the juniors that are in Barla cups and without the stats from the Cumbria Youth & Junior cups.

This also shows what age groups you start loosing teams as kids these days have better things to do and sport is not one of them, there is too much now for kids to do at home as 15 years ago there was not. Football have money as do RU and both are seeing a downward slide in players at Youth level.

How are Barla not interested in Youth & Juniors when we have cup`s for them and a 3 Counties U17`s competition.

If people have blinkers on they will only look in one direction and find somebody to blame, if Barla folded tomorrow nothing would change, the RFL run the show with the community Board.

A shame because when BARLA was formed it was very vibrant and successful. The RFU was so worried it became an agenda item and led directly to the formation of structured divisions in RU to counter the swing to RL. Sadly the amateur game is a mere shadow of former glories with a dreadful image.

BARLA's constitutional aim is to "Foster and Develop Rugby League" where have they done that on mass recently?

You keep saying your not at the table and your not allowed to vote but you can still achieve your goals if you want to. If you don't have a strategy you don't have a goal and without a goal BARLA is a useless existence representing nothing but a board of management!.

Like i said previously tell the board to step aside and let those in with vision, passion and an ability to make change you may just be surprised what can be achieved with the right people in the Job. 

I cannot see the board stepping aside while they have the the backing of the RFL this is only because they no longer see them as a threat, they should as they don't appear to have the support of the Amateur game at levels which they should represent

I cannot see the board stepping aside while they have the the backing of the RFL this is only because they no longer see them as a threat, they should as they don't appear to have the support of the Amateur game at levels which they should represent

Why do the RFL run BARLA now?

I would say recently they work closer, whilst the current management do not dissent against the direction the RFL is taking the game I see that as working together. BARLA has a seat on the community board if you can find minutes have you read anything from BARLA questioning the state of the amateur game?

To answer your question I would say yes what do you think?

Bang Right, Barla do not have the support of the Amateur game, strength in numbers, all the playing leagues signed up to the Operational rules under the RFL if not sanctions would be put on them, the RFL bullied everybody to sign so they would be recognised as the governing body of Rugby League and with that comes money. that's why the RFL have the power and time as they have more employees and everybody gets paid.

The District Leagues that run Barla are near enough non existent due to the RFL rules that no team or club has to be a member of a district league to play rugby. The RFL cannot and will never be able to run the amateur game and that's why its on a downward spiral.

I would say recently they work closer, whilst the current management do not dissent against the direction the RFL is taking the game I see that as working together. BARLA has a seat on the community board if you can find minutes have you read anything from BARLA questioning the state of the amateur game?

is there a phrase called the muzzled pussy cat?

Bang Right, Barla do not have the support of the Amateur game, strength in numbers, all the playing leagues signed up to the Operational rules under the RFL if not sanctions would be put on them, the RFL bullied everybody to sign so they would be recognised as the governing body of Rugby League and with that comes money. that's why the RFL have the power and time as they have more employees and everybody gets paid.

The District Leagues that run Barla are near enough non existent due to the RFL rules that no team or club has to be a member of a district league to play rugby. The RFL cannot and will never be able to run the amateur game and that's why its on a downward spiral.

Phil your still missing the point, forget all that claptrap and think what could you do better. How could BARLA be effective? you do not need the permission of the RFL to make the sport better, to increase its numbers to offer something that may be seen as a good deed. All you need is the business sense to make a difference something the majority of the board lack, notice i didn't say ALL. Your leadership is poor with no vision I'm not saying they are bad people, bar one, but they lack the confidence to make change and in a modern world that's what  is needed.

To turn a phrase "Build it and they will come" is the only way to become an effective voice again so either build it or pass it over as its not all about tea and biscuits at Wembley!!

Sam, some people that write on this forum was on the Barla board when the youth & juniors left Barla, most of the Barla committee that are in now was not, they have come on the board with not much left to hold on to.

Barla are not putting their head in the sand but they do no longer run Youth & Juniors or any open age playing leagues, all Barla can run now is the County Cups, National Cup, 3 Counties and internationals. The Youth & Junior leagues all have a representative at the Youth & Junior meetings so all them have a say and a vote. if the Youth & Juniors cannot change anything how can Barla when no youth & juniors leagues are affiliated to them.

Barla do not wish to concentrate only on open age as the County & national cup runs Youth & Junior & open age. the figures below are based on a team with 13 players only, many teams have 18-25.

Yorkshire Cup,

12`s,......28 teams.......364 players

13`s........31 teams......403 players

14`s........31 teams......403 players

15`s........24 teams......312 players

16`s.......29 teams.......377 players

17`s.......14 teams.......182 players

18`s.......10 teams.......130 players

Total.........................2171 players

National cup

14`s........39 teams.......507

16`s........37 teams.......481

18`s........25 teams.......325

Total...........................1213

That is the juniors that are in Barla cups and without the stats from the Cumbria Youth & Junior cups.

This also shows what age groups you start loosing teams as kids these days have better things to do and sport is not one of them, there is too much now for kids to do at home as 15 years ago there was not. Football have money as do RU and both are seeing a downward slide in players at Youth level.

How are Barla not interested in Youth & Juniors when we have cup`s for them and a 3 Counties U17`s competition.

If people have blinkers on they will only look in one direction and find somebody to blame, if Barla folded tomorrow nothing would change, the RFL run the show with the community Board.

Easy to solve, Grow a pair, take control again, show some compassion, provide a well run democratic elite league and the rest will follow, what starts as a drip soon turns into a waterfall.

So basically stop only throwing the weight about at meetings, get out around all clubs and preach the BARLA gospel (But make sre your all singing the same song from the same Hymn sheet.

Yeah the Midlands and SW had a very vibrant set up in the mid to late 80s and early 90s

"Yep" And since the RFL have take control of the amateur game the Midlands has fallen  back even further than the BARLA days (Lets not forget in the BALA days it didn't have the selected financial support it has today)

BARLA's constitutional aim is to "Foster and Develop Rugby League" where have they done that on mass recently?

You keep saying your not at the table and your not allowed to vote but you can still achieve your goals if you want to. If you don't have a strategy you don't have a goal and without a goal BARLA is a useless existence representing nothing but a board of management!.

Like i said previously tell the board to step aside and let those in with vision, passion and an ability to make change you may just be surprised what can be achieved with the right people in the Job. 

Well said

No Community Board minutes on the web-site since July 2015, did the RFL not say they would have all minutes on the web-site within 3 weeks of their meetings?

Obviously nothing to talk about or concerns with the Amateur game

I've just re read this and i must admit i didn't read it in full the first time around, your Wrong!! The RFL were always the governing body recognised by the government after unification, why do you think unification happened and that was way back in 2002. Your right that BARLA don't have the support of the Amateur game but that is the boards doing over the years, kicking people out for a £40 quid fee is hardly good practice to keep your membership now is it? The operational rules came a lot later on

And if you in anyway are trying to convince yourself or others that I was on the board when the juniors left then again you are not a great historian. I was not on the board at that time All the Junior leagues had left i came on board and tried to get them back but the damage had already been done. What i will say is i had an agreement with a couple of leagues and had i got the chairs job they would of come back on board. However the slandering of my name like " a Vote for Prior is a vote for the RFL" did its job and you are left with where you are today.

I am still a BARLA boy at heart and it just kills me to see it become a deadpan organisation when they can still achieve so much more

No Community Board minutes on the web-site since July 2015, did the RFL not say they would have all minutes on the web-site within 3 weeks of their meetings?

Obviously nothing to talk about or concerns with the Amateur game

Gone down hill since Roger was pushed

Phil apart from the current incumbants, please tell me what is to stop BARLA meeting with the Regional Youth and Junior Leagues, understanding their needs, developing a strategy, investing resources and making a positive contribution to the sport at that level?

In all fairness if BARLA had "the right people at the helm" it could do far more than many could imagine. The problem however is that it does'nt have the calibre of innovative, dynamic, motivated, knowledgeable and hard working individuals required.

Phil apart from the current incumbants, please tell me what is to stop BARLA meeting with the Regional Youth and Junior Leagues, understanding their needs, developing a strategy, investing resources and making a positive contribution to the sport at that level?

In all fairness if BARLA had "the right people at the helm" it could do far more than many could imagine. The problem however is that it does'nt have the calibre of innovative, dynamic, motivated, knowledgeable and hard working individuals required.

The problem however is that it does'nt have the calibre of innovative, dynamic, motivated, knowledgeable and hard working individuals involved at this moment in time.

this thread has been running quite a while now and pretty much mirrors what has happened at BARLA over the last 15 years - plenty being said, plenty being suggested, too little action, too much bickering!!

Everyone on this forum agrees that the community game is in a sorry state and the RFL are either out of their comfort zone, or the community game is at the bottom of a very long list of priorities.

Stuart Priors name keeps getting mentioned - so if Stuart has the drive and ability to try and have a go at uniting and reinvigorating the community game, then why not set the ball rolling as an individual by contacting every league management team in the country and ask for their comments and see if they would support a petition letter to the RFL to demand a meeting and set the wheels in motion to form a new management committee to run the community game in a similar way to the original BARLA.

The RFL could not possibly ignore a petition if 80% of the leagues put their names to it.

Nobody is asking to take the game away from the RFL - merely to manage it in a way that suits the needs of the community clubs rather than the professionals.

The Community Board also needs reconfigured to take into account the needs of the community clubs, as they have been ignored for too long, and the results of this indifferent approach by the RFL is baring fruit with the falling interest in both participation and volunteering.

It would take 30 minutes to draft up a letter and send it out via email to all member leagues, if there is a response, then representatives of the interested leagues could meet up to formulate the next step which would be a meeting with the RFL to inform them of their plans. The RFL could have a nominated representative also take their place on the committee to ensure there is openess on all sides.

Time for less bitching and more action gents 

is there a phrase called the muzzled pussy cat?

Phil your still missing the point, forget all that claptrap and think what could you do better. How could BARLA be effective? you do not need the permission of the RFL to make the sport better, to increase its numbers to offer something that may be seen as a good deed. All you need is the business sense to make a difference something the majority of the board lack, notice i didn't say ALL. Your leadership is poor with no vision I'm not saying they are bad people, bar one, but they lack the confidence to make change and in a modern world that's what  is needed.

To turn a phrase "Build it and they will come" is the only way to become an effective voice again so either build it or pass it over as its not all about tea and biscuits at Wembley!!

Maybe your right, let Barla throw money in like they did with the Cumbria mens league as the RFL would not, Barla gave them money each year and then they said were off with the RFL. good support from the Cumbria League. As the ex Leeds & District secretary I cannot remember anytime in the last 26 years Barla giving the Leeds & District any money or financial help, I cannot remember when they gave my club anything apart from 1 year free insurance. I cannot see how anybody can build a sport up that is dying as is football, rugby union & Cricket. all sport is the same.

Many clubs do support Barla with the National & Yorkshire cups but we cannot run a league for them as we do not run leagues, give each club £2000, that will be gone in weeks. Getting publicity for the game in Leeds is something already done by the Leeds Rugby Foundation that have plenty of money and people that are in a paid job that get paid to go around schools and clubs.

Sorry Marauder but the Roger Fagge comment, Ha Ha Ha Ha. that's all I can say. 

I hope the RFL allows a new organisation to set up as everybody is wishing for that to happen, I myself do not think this will ever happen, Barla was a pain in the side for the RFL for many years and for them to allow another organisation to set up I just cant see it, you would only get one vote as it is today and you would be outvoted at every meeting as it is now, what the RFL want they get.

I can see points on all sides and wish it was as it was in 70`s & 80`s when Barla took over the amateur game with all amateur leagues and clubs as members. Barla did the job then but are not strong enough to do it now and the RFL cannot and never will be able to run the amateur game.

Good luck for the future which ever way it goes.

Archived