THE SHOW MUST GO ON

eltel

What a terrible week first one of our heroes Steve Quinn is taken far too soon. I remember that kick just like it was yesterday and I went to every cup round that year. I clearly recall arranging a full bus load of family and friends to wembley just hoping we could give Hull a game but just like the games against Bradford and St Helens the ROVERS were magnificent and just before Quinny took that winning kick my 9 year old son was pestering me for a drink and I said to him if he kicks this I will buy you a bottle of champagne the rest is history.

Todays Fev under Bastian we had a large squad of decent players and could put two full teams out albeit nobody wanted to play but yesterdays performance against Batley was shocking even taking into account our injury crisis and such a small squad. We seemed to have a game plan of just try knock em down as the attacking was virtually non existent however there was one or two moments where some players gave their all but we were never at the races and Fevs heads went down and they gave up trying half way through the second half except for a bit of Thackery magic. WE NEED TO THROW THE BALL ABOUT MORE.

I watched the match on sky as Im in Gran Canaria enjoying the sunshine but what a disappointment after watching that fiasco we need to get some players back or new signings pronto or we could finish up in a relegation battle I would expect that horrible Leigh to win by 20 to 30 points on yesterdays performance but here is hoping Im wrong as I honestly believe the problems are down to a small squad and injuries as so far Sharpy has done a good job.

UP THE ROVERS COME ON LETS BEAT LEIGH AND BRING BACK THAT 1983 TEAM SPIRIT.

I am afraid that we appear to be suffering from our ever present failing

of lack of size and weight in our pack. We never appear to be able to obtain

players with such attributes and the Batley forwards made us look like

schoolboys, especially during the final quarter of the game.

I am afraid that we appear to be suffering from our ever present failing

of lack of size and weight in our pack. We never appear to be able to obtain

players with such attributes and the Batley forwards made us look like

schoolboys, especially during the final quarter of the game.

l thought your pack looked bigger than ours but generally had less mobility, speed and didn't off load as much.

What a terrible week first one of our heroes Steve Quinn is taken far too soon. I remember that kick just like it was yesterday and I went to every cup round that year. I clearly recall arranging a full bus load of family and friends to wembley just hoping we could give Hull a game but just like the games against Bradford and St Helens the ROVERS were magnificent and just before Quinny took that winning kick my 9 year old son was pestering me for a drink and I said to him if he kicks this I will buy you a bottle of champagne the rest is history.

Todays Fev under Bastian we had a large squad of decent players and could put two full teams out albeit nobody wanted to play but yesterdays performance against Batley was shocking even taking into account our injury crisis and such a small squad. We seemed to have a game plan of just try knock em down as the attacking was virtually non existent however there was one or two moments where some players gave their all but we were never at the races and Fevs heads went down and they gave up trying half way through the second half except for a bit of Thackery magic. WE NEED TO THROW THE BALL ABOUT MORE.

I watched the match on sky as Im in Gran Canaria enjoying the sunshine but what a disappointment after watching that fiasco we need to get some players back or new signings pronto or we could finish up in a relegation battle I would expect that horrible Leigh to win by 20 to 30 points on yesterdays performance but here is hoping Im wrong as I honestly believe the problems are down to a small squad and injuries as so far Sharpy has done a good job.

why do you deem leigh "horrible"?

we can't bring back players until they're ready, and if we had money for signings we wouldn't need to be D/R with Leeds

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Bately were worthy winners, definitely the better team on the day and deserve full credit for an excellent performance. However, before people start throwing about stuff like "shocking" and "gave up trying" about our performance they need to consider the circumstances.

For a start, being without a recognised hooker is a huge issue, the fluency of our attack depends heavily on the hooker's contribution. John Davies has been tremendous for us this year and it's no reflection on him at all but he's not a 9. In general, the constant upheaval at the pivot positions with the loss of Wildie, then Thackeray, then Briggs (& then Ellis for yesterday's game) has been very tough to overcome. The upshot yesterday was that we played very conservatively and didn't seem to have the organisational skills to create any flowing rugby.

Secondly, the early injury to Turner, and Roche also carrying a knock presumably heavily impacted our intended interchanges, made worse when Craven was out of the game for the last 25 mins or so. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but Bostock played from the start until well beyond the 60 minute mark, I'm sure that wasn't the plan going into the game (tremendous effort from him). Having been unlucky with the toss  - I'd say it's nearly always better to play uphill at Batley in the first half when you're fresher - the game was very even and we were still clinging on to the lead until Batley reintroduced Brown and Hirst about 15 minutes into the second half, and we couldn't handle them, Brown in particular is a handful at the best of times but downhill, fresh off the bench and against a tiring team he and Hirst made a huge impact and the game changed dramatically when those two came back on.

Personally I think the policy we followed in our recruitment this season - splashing a bit of cash on two or three signings, trying to get some high-character players in the squad and filling in the gaps with youngsters and a DR or two when available - was the best policy open to us given we didn't get the big prize money from last season. But it was always going to need a bit of luck with injuries, and we definitely haven't had that this year. It's worth remembering that this season we've regularly been fielding half a dozen or so players who were regulars in our reserves last year. It's also worth looking at what has happened to London since they got knocked out of the cup and remember that one bad defeat when fielding an understrength team doesn't mean it's the end of the world.

Personally I find defeats like yesterday's - where you can at least see why we might have struggled, even if it was very frustrating to watch - much easier to stomach than some of the tame efforts from last year. Hopefully we can start to get some better luck with injuries soon.

Well we're all entitled to our opinion but for a Rovers fan to suggest that we need to improve team spirit and we're in a relegation fight - based on performances this year - beggars belief.

There's nothing wrong with the playing personnel of this squad or the coaching staff,when the players are giving it all they've got week in week out sometimes you've just got to take defeat on the chin.Batley were the better side on the day,played the pitch better ( which they should ),luckier with their matchday injuries,end of.

It was easier to take that defeat than the one against Halifax and it shows the win against Batley at POR is looking better every week.I know its great having a cup run but I for one with our current situation and the importance of top 4 would take a win in the league rather than in the cup ie London Broncos.

Under the previous 2 coaching appointments the team would have folded a few times this season but they have had a tenacity to keep going and a belief.

The injury situation season on season seems to get worse,( and I don't usually like to make a thing of injuries as its the nature of the beast )which other team could have Wildie,Ellis and Day and for varying reasons have none available.

I'm sure we just want the lads to keep giving it their all,keep this brilliant team spirit  going.

Forza Fev

I remember coming away from Odsal last year after Rovers has walloped them on what must have been the hottest night of the year. Many of their fans were rubbishing The Bulls, saying they weren't good enough, but look who they finished above in the Middle 8's? Fev were installed as a firm favourite for a Top 4 spot, but lost the next game, maybe due to fatigue, and Bradford went on to finish as top Championship Club and won the big money. My reflection on that game was that Bulls were missing Gaskell, but more important than that they didn't have the stomach for a fight in the uncomfortable conditions, and because they were virtually certain to finish 2nd their desire to win was not as high as Fev's.

Rugby League is the toughest game in the world and the best team doesn't always win, it's usually the best team on the day- The freak results this year in both Super League and the Championship are testament to this.

Fev were missing their three main pivots, if you count Thackeray, but most of all the Bulls had the greater desire to win on their own ground in front of the cameras.

Injuries come and go, but take the first choice half backs and hooker out of any side and they will struggle.

Things will get better.

Bately were worthy winners, definitely the better team on the day and deserve full credit for an excellent performance. However, before people start throwing about stuff like "shocking" and "gave up trying" about our performance they need to consider the circumstances.

For a start, being without a recognised hooker is a huge issue, the fluency of our attack depends heavily on the hooker's contribution. John Davies has been tremendous for us this year and it's no reflection on him at all but he's not a 9. In general, the constant upheaval at the pivot positions with the loss of Wildie, then Thackeray, then Briggs (& then Ellis for yesterday's game) has been very tough to overcome. The upshot yesterday was that we played very conservatively and didn't seem to have the organisational skills to create any flowing rugby.

Secondly, the early injury to Turner, and Roche also carrying a knock presumably heavily impacted our intended interchanges, made worse when Craven was out of the game for the last 25 mins or so. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but Bostock played from the start until well beyond the 60 minute mark, I'm sure that wasn't the plan going into the game (tremendous effort from him). Having been unlucky with the toss - I'd say it's nearly always better to play uphill at Batley in the first half when you're fresher - the game was very even and we were still clinging on to the lead until Batley reintroduced Brown and Hirst about 15 minutes into the second half, and we couldn't handle them, Brown in particular is a handful at the best of times but downhill, fresh off the bench and against a tiring team he and Hirst made a huge impact and the game changed dramatically when those two came back on.

Personally I think the policy we followed in our recruitment this season - splashing a bit of cash on two or three signings, trying to get some high-character players in the squad and filling in the gaps with youngsters and a DR or two when available - was the best policy open to us given we didn't get the big prize money from last season. But it was always going to need a bit of luck with injuries, and we definitely haven't had that this year. It's worth remembering that this season we've regularly been fielding half a dozen or so players who were regulars in our reserves last year. It's also worth looking at what has happened to London since they got knocked out of the cup and remember that one bad defeat when fielding an understrength team doesn't mean it's the end of the world.

Personally I find defeats like yesterday's - where you can at least see why we might have struggled, even if it was very frustrating to watch - much easier to stomach than some of the tame efforts from last year. Hopefully we can start to get some better luck with injuries soon.

Secondly, the early injury to Turner, and Roche also carrying a knock presumably heavily impacted our intended interchanges, made worse when Craven was out of the game for the last 25 mins or so. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but Bostock played from the start until well beyond the 60 minute mark, I'm sure that wasn't the plan going into the game (tremendous effort from him). Having been unlucky with the toss  - I'd say it's nearly always better to play uphill at Batley in the first half when you're fresher - the game was very even and we were still clinging on to the lead until Batley reintroduced Brown and Hirst about 15 minutes into the second half, and we couldn't handle them, Brown in particular is a handful at the best of times but downhill, fresh off the bench and against a tiring team he and Hirst made a huge impact and the game changed dramatically when those two came back on.

Excellent post - agree with all of that. Think you're right about our recruitment policy this year, looks to have been a case of crossing everything and hoping for good luck on the injury front, however we've clearly had the opposite, and on Saturday it looked at times like we were running on fumes, so the question is do we have a contingency plan? We can't rely on DR given the vagaries involved in that particular arrangement, so perhaps we could do with a few new faces coming in (easier said than done I know, both financially and in terms of getting the right kind of player) just to freshen things up a bit, and crucially to give a few of our current lads the chance of a rest/recharge.

Excellent post - agree with all of that. Think you're right about our recruitment policy this year, looks to have been a case of crossing everything and hoping for good luck on the injury front, however we've clearly had the opposite, and on Saturday it looked at times like we were running on fumes, so the question is do we have a contingency plan? We can't rely on DR given the vagaries involved in that particular arrangement, so perhaps we could do with a few new faces coming in (easier said than done I know, both financially and in terms of getting the right kind of player) just to freshen things up a bit, and crucially to give a few of our current lads the chance of a rest/recharge.

Though I understand why it has been done, it is now the lack of ability to bring in fresh/new faces is the reason why dropping the reserve team is probably the worst decision we as a club have made all year.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Don't be too disappointed with Saturdays result given that we were missing 3 pivotal players plus others playing out of position. When you look to the games we have lost the defeats at London and Batley we were well in both games until late into the games when injuries took there toll. Also the fax game we were unfortunate to loose late on after we had done the hard work coming from behind. Yes it would be nice to add to our small squad but we have to cut our cloth accordingly.

Certainly with the last coaching appointment there would have been a better chance of winning at the weekend a team with no dr players completley outclassed a fev team who folk on here are happy with the performance , apart from misi and young cooper they were completly out classed my opinion but hey lets get the dr boys back and lets shout for the leeds lads what a load of rubbish

Certainly with the last coaching appointment there would have been a better chance of winning at the weekend a team with no dr players completley outclassed a fev team who folk on here are happy with the performance , apart from misi and young cooper they were completly out classed my opinion but hey lets get the dr boys back and lets shout for the leeds lads what a load of rubbish

Thats the first Batley fan whos let the recent success get to their heads, hopefully one of very few

Thats the first Batley fan whos let the recent success get to their heads, hopefully one of very few

He's not a Batley fan. He is a relative of a well travelled young full-back who played at Dewsbury, Batley, Featherstone and York. 

Hence the antipathy towards Featherstone. He was also very critical of certain elements in our club when it was clear that his relative was not going to be chosen regularly!

HTH

Worth pointing out that this guy is a single-issue poster, and that issue is Jordan Grayston. I think it's a fair bet that Andy Hay liked Grayston more than Jon Sharp, and if you bear that in mind whenever you read one of his posts, they will make a lot more sense.

What a load of rubish, my comments were completly my thoughts after watching the game at the weekend nowt to do with anything else, seems to me unless you agree with the mainstreams thoughts prepare for some abuse

all I know is that when Sharp got the job you were on here a lot saying how much you didn't rate him. Sharp takes a very young Rovers team to win the Shield and more importantly this season gets most fans more enthusiastic about the team's play and commitments than at any time since Powell left and you weren't to be seen on this forum, then we have our first poor performance of the season and you're back on saying we'd have been better off with the previous coach. Hmm.

Archived