'World Rugby' (sic) against RLIF bid for recognition?

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php/articles/1036696/exclusive-arm-wrestling-poker-and-rugby-league-bid-for-sportaccord-inclusion-postponed-until-new-president-elected

It looks like the RLIF bid for membership of the SportAccord has been delayed due to an admin/process issue.  

However -

A letter was subsequently sent to SportAccord by World Rugby calling for the RLIF not to be added.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Hopefully (before a which hunt) we can find out what the letter says, but on the face of it, they can sod right off.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

"A letter was subsequently sent to SportAccord by World Rugby calling for the RLIF not to be added."

It's as well to know who sent it and why, the evidence of any funny stuff is a bit thin here.

Maybe it was the same person who dropped by Martyn Sadler's gaff?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Hopefully (before a which hunt) we can find out what the letter says, but on the face of it, they can sod right off.  

Hard to comment without anything other than a one line quote on a blog site, but is SportAccord that big a thing? The website has it's latest news dated August last year, so they hardly come across as an efficient outfit. 

FWIW, World Rugby/IRB aren't members, so why they would a) pen a letter and B) said letter would carry any weight god only knows?

What does Sport Accord do and what are the benefits of being part of it? Curious why golf, athletics and rowing left it......

No surprise about yawnions actions though

When a country 'bans' RL (See UAE) we can point to things like SportAccord and say look we are a separate sport.  Its an umbrella organisation of olympic and non-olympic sports.

Hard to comment without anything other than a one line quote on a blog site, but is SportAccord that big a thing? The website has it's latest news dated August last year, so they hardly come across as an efficient outfit. 

FWIW, World Rugby/IRB aren't members, so why they would a) pen a letter and B) said letter would carry any weight god only knows?

World Rugby are members by being an Olympic sport.

I realise we have no substantiated facts or evidence to go on so I'm outraged. We desperately need to be represented at this peak organisation that nobody has ever heard of that hasn't updated its own site since August last year. We can't risk being left behind other sporting giants like the World Draughts Federation and the International Frisbee Association. It must be an incredibly important organisation because it's based in Switzerland, just like FIFA, and we all know how prestigious they are.

I realise we have no substantiated facts or evidence to go on so I'm outraged. We desperately need to be represented at this peak organisation that nobody has ever heard of that hasn't updated its own site since August last year. We can't risk being left behind other sporting giants like the World Draughts Federation and the International Frisbee Association. It must be an incredibly important organisation because it's based in Switzerland, just like FIFA, and we all know how prestigious they are.

Lets stick to State of origin being the pinnacle of our game.  

No wonder we are a small sport with little international expansion.

Lets stick to State of origin being the pinnacle of our game.  

No wonder we are a small sport with little international expansion.

How is joining this organisation going to make us a global sporting superpower?

RL needs to join as many international bodies that will take us! Then we can point to these when going to join the main bodies...I.e olympics, etc...

To be fair we are a breakaway rebel game.....hold on isnt union a breakaway from soccer???

Aussie rules?

Gaelic football

American football. ..

Sports Accord recognition may not mean much in countries like Australia or England where RL is already recognized as an independent sport, but for many of our emerging nations such recognition is going to help them gain access to government funding or in the case of South Africa, Italy and UAE help justify that RL is in fact different than RU.

Since gaining Commonwealth Games staus the game has been able to expand into more commonwealth nations and access funds it never had access to before.

As mentioned by some other posters in non-commonwealth countries (or stubborn ones like South Africa) it's the IOC accredited sports and Sports Accord which is used by many governments to determine legitimacy and criteria for funding.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Is Rugby League "banned" in the UAE? When did that happen? 

The rugby league federation was banned and the game must play under RU authority.  The UAE sports federation only recognises the RU governing body and only recognises one sport of 'rugby'.

Being on these international federations helps RL say look we are a different sport.

How is joining this organisation going to make us a global sporting superpower?

By helping emerging nations get recognition from national sports authorities?  By being an extra piece of evidence to stop local RU bodies trying to take control?  By helping get access to grants and other forms of funding?  

By helping emerging nations get recognition from national sports authorities?  By being an extra piece of evidence to stop local RU bodies trying to take control?  By helping get access to grants and other forms of funding?  

If this helps emerging nations and further on Olympic recognition for RL then of course we need to push for it as much as we can.

If world rugby did send a letter then the RL press need to do their bit in asking what the letter said and why it was sent? And so does any RL writer for a national daily. If it was done with the sole intention of harming our sport then we need to publicise this as much as we can, of course we could just be collateral damage in ru's seemingly never ending war and victimisation of arm wrestling!

I must admit though when I see things like this, and remember the way the Sol Mokdad story was handled and then allowed to die, I don't hold out much hope!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Yes they are, they're listed on the SportAccord website

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

In a lot of countries, Spain for example, membership is one of the criteria for government recognition and thus funding so it's of huge importance. The head of the RLEF reckons it could be one of the biggest advances in the game's history (might be over-egging it a bit but it's fairly crucial for international development).

We are Draughts fighting against the arrogance of Chess we deserve international recognition

I hate that analogy.  A closer description would be union as sumo wrestling and us judo.  In one, there's short spurts of fat lads grappling with each other before the ref stops play, in the other it's a highly skillful contest between usually well matched opponents.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Change the sport's name. We are not playing 'rugby', we are playing League Football. Problem solved.

Also whoever made that draughts/chess comparison can GTFO. Rugby Union is not chess. It's just a pitiful outdated sport with archaic rules.

That was me you insulted and the good name of the International Draughts Federation you chess bigot! We maybe be played on a similar board, our pastimes share the same 1st 3 letters C-h-e in our names and have the same principal of 2 adversarial lines at either end of board attempting to take the others pieces the similarity ends there! Chess peoples pseudo intellectualism, old boys club, your fawning media minions, with there slow moving & overly complicated game make me sick... we are the Draughts Federation we are the Cinderella men of world pastimes, Games of Checkers are played by everyday people in a straight forward manner without time wasting and chin stroking. We cant afford ivory pieces and more to the piont dont like killing Elephants to make pieces from there tusks! Draughts is on the rise and fighting crime as well as the hypocrisy, bigotry, elitism & skulduggery of world Chess and will have sport accord recognition at last! So that we may be free to play Checkers were ever we choose to around the World and be recognized as participating in a unique, separate and legitimate pastime...

See what I did there?

Archived