Swinton

James Brown, Leek and Scott apart, what an awful show. Yes, at 24-28 we looked as though we were going to nick it, but putting in a 10 minute performance herevand there isn't going to rescue every game. Back to a lot of one up, barge in rugby, no pep on attack for all huff and puff. However not all in this defeat can be laid at the players' door, 2 awful decisions cost us 12 points; Brev's penalised 'spear' tackle was a ridiculous decision, it was purely a 1 on 1 tackle made in one movement, the penalty led to a try then there was clear crossing in the top left corner which took out 2 tacklers. Later in the game Swinton pulled off an exact same tackle with 3 men in the tackle and got away with it,there has to be uniformity in decisions. Have we become an 'ordinary team' after our season openers, as we have been made to look so by 2 other ordinary teams who clearly wanted much more than us out of those games.2 new injuries don't help either but Alex Rowe indicated that he hopes to be available next week. Is the return of 1 man enough?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better team won as simple as that.

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Better team won as simple as that.

They were the better team, but that was because they slowed the game to a virtual standstill. The lack of enthusiasm to restart, the kicking balls away and the refusal to roll away from the tackle was ridiculous. We had a first half that lasted 52 minutes with time-offs (which the ref seemed to take an age to call) and a 50 minute second half. Dire. And it meant we never got chance to get a roll on. All legal but hardly in the spirit of the game.

That said, Swinton completely controlled the first 25 minutes which, in the final analysis, secured their victory.

Swinton were by far the better team today. We were found wanting in so many areas and by the time we realised we were in trouble the game was out of reach. This is a very competitive division and if you are off your game you will get beat. Poor defensive options and a lack of creativity especially downhill in the first 40 cost us dear. We need Ulugia back pretty sharpish the centres looked very predictable and sluggish. Back on the horse pretty quick or Leigh will demolish us next Sunday. Again well done to Swinton worthy winners.

Leek, although having an excellent season, still makes too many wrong decisions near the line and for that break he made uphill with a woeful panic pass inside when he had a three to one overlap on the outside.

Bretherton tackle was a penalty all day.legs above horizontal.no qualms from me.

It was the weak ineffective takle two or three plays later that allowed swinton to waltz through our line that concerns me.too many players dropping off tackles and maybe thinking all they had to do was turn up.....thought gledhill was our best prop not brown.

Kicking game (40-20 apart that was completely wasted as it happens) was mediocre too.

I dont expect us to play perfectly every week but why set standards as we did earlier in the season but not try to live up to them?

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

They were the better team, but that was because they slowed the game to a virtual standstill. The lack of enthusiasm to restart, the kicking balls away and the refusal to roll away from the tackle was ridiculous. We had a first half that lasted 52 minutes with time-offs (which the ref seemed to take an age to call) and a 50 minute second half. Dire. And it meant we never got chance to get a roll on. All legal but hardly in the spirit of the game.

That said, Swinton completely controlled the first 25 minutes which, in the final analysis, secured their victory.

Maybe so but I remember us playing a similar game at the shay a few years back and getting a result....I quite enjoyed it.

We can't complain when teams do it to us, we have to find a way to cope and defeat the tactic.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

Easy to be wise after the event BSJ.

Sadly the only kind of wisdom I possess Chairman.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

James Brown, Leek and Scott apart, what an awful show. Yes, at 24-28 we looked as though we were going to nick it, but putting in a 10 minute performance herevand there isn't going to rescue every game. Back to a lot of one up, barge in rugby, no pep on attack for all huff and puff. However not all in this defeat can be laid at the players' door, 2 awful decisions cost us 12 points; Brev's penalised 'spear' tackle was a ridiculous decision, it was purely a 1 on 1 tackle made in one movement, the penalty led to a try then there was clear crossing in the top left corner which took out 2 tacklers. Later in the game Swinton pulled off an exact same tackle with 3 men in the tackle and got away with it,there has to be uniformity in decisions. Have we become an 'ordinary team' after our season openers, as we have been made to look so by 2 other ordinary teams who clearly wanted much more than us out of those games.2 new injuries don't help either but Alex Rowe indicated that he hopes to be available next week. Is the return of 1 man enough?

think.leak.was way too gready trying way too many times to go over from ptb, they read him every single time and it cost us chances we could of had instead of bombing our chances. Imo of course.

Ah right. Were you at the game? Fair enough.

I was at the game. How did you enjoy the try of the match from Liam Marshall? Decent paint drying.

If that's not your kind of rugby there's also a decent try on youtube from the win at Fax with a pass round the back from Chris Atkin to admire.

As the for spear tackle, it deserves a yellow card. But Batley had one in the first half (with no card shown) so consistency was shown from the ref surely? One man or thirteen in the tackle, it's still an illegal tackle.

Brown was your best player today imo. Really enjoyed the game today from two teams giving 100% to win. Some quality attacking rugby on show from both sides. Good luck against Catalan in the cup and for the rest of the season.

I was at the game. How did you enjoy the try of the match from Liam Marshall? Decent paint drying.

If that's not your kind of rugby there's also a decent try on youtube from the win at Fax with a pass round the back from Chris Atkin to admire.

As the for spear tackle, it deserves a yellow card. But Batley had one in the first half (with no card shown) so consistency was shown from the ref surely? One man or thirteen in the tackle, it's still an illegal tackle.

Brown was your best player today imo. Really enjoyed the game today from two teams giving 100% to win. Some quality attacking rugby on show from both sides. Good luck against Catalan in the cup and for the rest of the season.

Read post #30.

Read post #30.

I have done. And I completely disagree with what you've said. Yes, we were the better team but we also played good rugby. I'll re-watch it on Lions TV later this week to see if I've completely missed our time wasting...in the first half. I do think you'll have a shout with the obstruction call on our 2nd try, the replays will reveal all.

I have done. And I completely disagree with what you've said. Yes, we were the better team but we also played good rugby. I'll re-watch it on Lions TV later this week to see if I've completely missed our time wasting...in the first half. I do think you'll have a shout with the obstruction call on our 2nd try, the replays will reveal all.

I doubt your highlights package will focus on your time-wasting tactics (... in both halves) and Littler kicking the ball away at every opportunity, but enjoy your viewing!

I doubt your highlights package will focus on your time-wasting tactics (... in both halves) and Littler kicking the ball away at every opportunity, but enjoy your viewing!

Haha. Loved our time wasting tactics in the 2nd half. Like when you got to within 4 points of us so we decided to score another. It's just negative rugby isn't it?!

Didn't James Brown kick the ball away and easnt there a massive stoppage, when Rettie was injured in a clash of heads! In my opinion, by far the best team, on the day won! To build up an 18-0 lead, going up the hill, against a good side, was a top achievement! Which ultimately, won the game for us!

Quite disgraceful. Sadly you are showing a complete lack of respect to a team you thought would roll over and let your team steamroller us.

Sadly our boys don't and we really did turn you over!

How did Zach Johnson get on?

Sadly he didn't really get a chance at the Rams due to injury, but he is a Shaw Cross lad.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived