Swinton

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very poor but credit to Swinton they were by far the better side and deserved the win.

4 very tough games coming up, cant see where the next win is going to come from based on the last few performances, forget the cup win as we were bound to be up for it being a one off and on tv.

Defensively once again we were soft and fell off and missed far too many tackles, and were pretty clueless near the line again.

Anyone know whats up with Pat Walker? Another blow if hes injured.

And has anyone found Cain Southernwood yet? He went missing at 3pm yesterday and wasnt seen again.

Plus points were Geldhill and Lilycrop, both worked hard and stood out in a beaten pack, James Harrison also looks to be improving after last weeks good game.

Plenty of work to do Mr Kear.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

The team that wanted it more won the match today

I can see why you might think that Riggy with Swinton's swarming defense negating the efforts of some of our "big lads" and with eager backing up.  I think that you are wrong though.  There was no lack of desire or effort from Batley; some of those lads would run through brick walls.  You also do your team a disservice........they won because they played a smarter game with some nice football that made us look like plodders at times.  I suspect that your coach had done his homework and the game was reminiscent of the Oldham Batley match.  When we did get back into the game in the second half through sheer guts and determination from certain players you slowed the game down when you needed to and had the class to put the game to bed.   (Through gritted teeth):-  Well done, the better side on the day and a well deserved win.

Seemed to me as a Swinton fan Batley thought all they had to do was run up the middle and they'd steam roll us. Our forwards stood up to it and our backs were far more creative than yours. Looked to me like James Brown is your only ball player, the halves made no impact at all. Lillycrop was aggressive but very one-dimensional.

Seemed to me as a Swinton fan Batley thought all they had to do was run up the middle and they'd steam roll us. Our forwards stood up to it and our backs were far more creative than yours. Looked to me like James Brown is your only ball player, the halves made no impact at all. Lillycrop was aggressive but very one-dimensional.

That's our normal game Colin, and it stood us in good stead on mucky days against some pretty good sides.  We did start playing a bit of "football" as confidence grew but that seems to have been put on the back burner.  Early season we had three wins and a draw against sides that were in or about the top 4 last year.  The last 4 league games has seen us pick up one very lucky, scratchy win despite playing 3 teams that are in the bottom four.  Maybe we've been found out or maybe our style of play suits wet, foul conditions.  After Whitehaven and Oldham they won't have taken you lightly.  

Our first half display was completely unacceptable.

The referee was poor. How he failed to properly penalise that spear tackle is beyond me.

Swinton spent the entire second half spoiling and time-wasting. If that's their modus operandi for winning games, fair play to them, but it was like watching paint dry and I'm glad we only have to watch that twice in a season.

That's about all there is to say about that game for me.

Glad to see some of your fellow supporters have the decency to show respect for a team that were far better on the day - threw the ball about more than Batley did, defended better than Batley did and like Batley did got penalised for some offences and not for others - please don't refer me your your post 30 - your remarks above are totally disrespectful especially from a Rugby League fan.

That's our normal game Colin, and it stood us in good stead on mucky days against some pretty good sides. We did start playing a bit of "football" as confidence grew but that seems to have been put on the back burner. Early season we had three wins and a draw against sides that were in or about the top 4 last year. The last 4 league games has seen us pick up one very lucky, scratchy win despite playing 3 teams that are in the bottom four. Maybe we've been found out or maybe our style of play suits wet, foul conditions. After Whitehaven and Oldham they won't have taken you lightly.

I have to agree.

Yesterday's performance was reminiscent of last year with plenty of effort in the forwards, but scratchy tries,wrong decisions at crucial times and little flair.

The way teams have come to the mount recently and shown a real attack minded gameplan, while we seem to struggle just to put any sort of passing movement together saddens me.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

Quite disgraceful. Sadly you are showing a complete lack of respect to a team you thought would roll over and let your team steamroller us.

Sadly our boys don't and we really did turn you over!

Okay.  I've clearly got under a couple of people's skin here (unintentionally), so ... I never disrespect any team (except perhaps Dewsbury every now and then ;-)), and my comments weren't meant to disrespect anyone so, to clarify ... Swinton deserved their win.  Really deserved it.  But ... they DID slow the game down throughout, and if people can't accept that, then they weren't watching the game with their full attention.  Those tactics contributed to the win and were performed within the rules of the game.  If you believe anything I said in my initial posts was factually inaccurate, I disagree, but then again I would.  But I don't want to take anything away from an impressive result for our opponents.

HTH.

Okay.  I've clearly got under a couple of people's skin here (unintentionally), so ... I never disrespect any team (except perhaps Dewsbury every now and then ;-)), and my comments weren't meant to disrespect anyone so, to clarify ... Swinton deserved their win.  Really deserved it.  But ... they DID slow the game down throughout, and if people can't accept that, then they weren't watching the game with their full attention.  Those tactics contributed to the win and were performed within the rules of the game.  If you believe anything I said in my initial posts was factually inaccurate, I disagree, but then again I would.  But I don't want to take anything away from an impressive result for our opponents.

HTH.

Your quote 

Swinton spent the entire second half spoiling and time-wasting. If that's their modus operandi for winning games, fair play to them, but it was like watching paint dry and I'm glad we only have to watch that twice in a season.

and you never disrespect any team??? - and believe you me I was watching the game with my full attention - I know this is a forum and we all are entitled to our views but would suggest you choose your word better if you do not intend to  get under people skin

you dont see a bus all year...then 12 turn up all at once....

Chairman LMAO...dont you dare pee on their parade..

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

Okay. I've clearly got under a couple of people's skin here (unintentionally), so ... I never disrespect any team (except perhaps Dewsbury every now and then ;-)), and my comments weren't meant to disrespect anyone so, to clarify ... Swinton deserved their win. Really deserved it. But ... they DID slow the game down throughout, and if people can't accept that, then they weren't watching the game with their full attention. Those tactics contributed to the win and were performed within the rules of the game. If you believe anything I said in my initial posts was factually inaccurate, I disagree, but then again I would. But I don't want to take anything away from an impressive result for our opponents.

HTH.

Did we slow the game down to Batleys pace?

Surely this would be in your favour as our three quarters destroyed yours.

It's nothing to do with out and out pace Mark.  Batley try and build pressure with hard running forwards and wingers down the middle of the field.  If they are allowed to build momentum then they are hard to stop.  In the second half Batley did start to build a bit of momentum and Swinton were struggling a bit at times, but they had the sense to slow the game down at every opportunity which coupled with some excellent opportunist tries won them the day.  Unlike the Chairman I would be happy to see Swinton again because they played some sparkling football but it is understandable that fans of the losing side feel frustration when they can sense a comeback being somewhat strangled by such tactics.  The ref was quick to stop the clock but the Swinton players afforded themselves a breather at every opportunity.  None of this is meant to be a criticism, Swinton did what they needed to do to negate our strengths whilst we seemed bemused at times by the excellent football that Swinton served up. 

It is perhaps no coincidence that our best result recently came against a Featherstone side that played at a similar tempo to our normal game.

Well played Swinton best attacking display in the first half I've seen at the mount this season

Second half we made a better fist of it and at times I feel swinton were hanging on and we're definitely slowing play down and wasting time time however there's nothing wrong with that and they came away with two points which no other team in the league has managed at our place this season well done

I'd echo the last two posts.

No complaints from me with the result.

Anyone any idea on the injuries to Walker and Rettie?

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

It's nothing to do with out and out pace Mark. Batley try and build pressure with hard running forwards and wingers down the middle of the field. If they are allowed to build momentum then they are hard to stop. In the second half Batley did start to build a bit of momentum and Swinton were struggling a bit at times, but they had the sense to slow the game down at every opportunity which coupled with some excellent opportunist tries won them the day. Unlike the Chairman I would be happy to see Swinton again because they played some sparkling football but it is understandable that fans of the losing side feel frustration when they can sense a comeback being somewhat strangled by such tactics. The ref was quick to stop the clock but the Swinton players afforded themselves a breather at every opportunity. None of this is meant to be a criticism, Swinton did what they needed to do to negate our strengths whilst we seemed bemused at times by the excellent football that Swinton served up.

It is perhaps no coincidence that our best result recently came against a Featherstone side that played at a similar tempo to our normal game.

My comment was tongue in cheek but the argument still stands.

It's nice to see that the majority of your fans have taken this defeat with good grace. There's always one who spoils it

We've not won four on the bounce by accident

Our brand of rugby is exciting and effective and we are still finding our feet

Good luck for the rest of the season

Cheers, Bill.  I've tried to smooth this over, but clearly failed. Ah well, onto next week!

No problems with me Chairman, I'm sure you said what you said after what must have been a disappointing result for you - for us it was a great and surprising result against one of the better teams in the  league -let us enjoy our days in the sun - we are fighting for staying in this league and competing with teams like Batley 

Archived