Premier Sports appear to have binned Pacific Tests - Gutted?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit embarrassing that it took so long, but they seem to be listening closely Dave. From NRL twitter:

Samoa will host a Test Match against Fiji in Apia on Oct 8 – Samoa’s 1st official Rugby League Test on home soil.

Edit: embarrassing that it took so long to have a test in Samoa, rather than listen to Dave (no offence)

interesting that the NRL will underwrite the test...how about they give the money  the RLIF or APRLC and let them do it ?

Seriously? FFS we get hundreds of posts on this forum every week accusing the NRL/ARLC of doing nothing for the international game then, when they do something, you're still complaining?

Seriously? FFS we get hundreds of posts on this forum every week accusing the NRL/ARLC of doing nothing for the international game then, when they do something, you're still complaining?

The complaining never stops on here. It has to be perfect from day 1. Fiji has also gone from 4 clubs to 52 in ten years and people complain about the lack of games in Fiji over history.

Rugby league is growing at great rates in Oceania often with Australian support behind the scenes.

yeah good on em...but like i said....why do the NRL have to have their name plastered on it??

the NRL/ALRC is to the APRLC/RLIF what the RFL is to the RLEF...(ive put it like that cos unofficially the RLEF looks after the northern hemisphere/africa and the RLIF/APRLC looks after the pacific/asia area..

so yeah it should be the APRLC,thanks to the NRL,that announces and underwrites stuff..

i'll tell you...when this NRL pacific strategy was announced a few of us "internationalists" wondered is it actually a strategy to grow international RL in the pacific..or is it a strategy to grow the NRL brand in the pacific??...im still not sure....and when they start ripping stars from the likes of fiji to play for australia it begs the question even more...

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I've just cancelled my subscription to Premier for this very reason, it smacks of a SKYesque decision and if they are showing a Rugby Union game in its stead then that's even worse.

I made sure they knew I was a Rugby League fan who was cancelling because of their decision to remove the Pacific Rugby League Test matches from their schedule.

It may not be the fault of Premier Sports. 

Bit embarrassing that it took so long, but they seem to be listening closely Dave. From NRL twitter:

Samoa will host a Test Match against Fiji in Apia on Oct 8 – Samoa’s 1st official Rugby League Test on home soil.

Edit: embarrassing that it took so long to have a test in Samoa, rather than listen to Dave (no offence)

great news

The complaining never stops on here. It has to be perfect from day 1. Fiji has also gone from 4 clubs to 52 in ten years and people complain about the lack of games in Fiji over history.

Rugby league is growing at great rates in Oceania often with Australian support behind the scenes.

its no good arrogantly dismissing people's concerns.

21 years after our first real multi-nation world cup we have a decent amount of our major nations not touring or playing at home.

This isnt a dig at the NRL, any games are welcome, the criticism is for the game overall and lack of coherent strategy.

Anyway, positive news coming from Samoa, Fiji and PNG about games there in tge next couple of years, so maybe somebody does agree with me that playing tests there is a good idea!

I don't know how announcing it via an obscure website is superior to announcing it on a major tv station during a live broadcast involving one of the teams. One announcement will be heard by hundreds of thousands, including many in the rugby league media,  and the other will be read by a few rugby league fans.

So much to be pleased and depressed about in equal measure in that article.

We have learnt nothing if we are relying on goodwill of the Aussies to stage internationals that they should have literally no involvement in. A test match between Samoa and Fiji in Samoa has zero to do with the NRL and expecting them to fund and arrange this is laughable.

This is not a criticism of the NRL, it is of the RLIF and sport overall. We are seeing what is happening in the likes of Scotland now the RFL have decided to stop funding and organising things for them.

Id rather see the RFL and ARLC funding the RLIF to be a proper organisation and them independently organising the international game than pet projects.

Itll be interesting to see what happens if the RLIF manage to organise something other than the RLWC as part of tgeir latest strategy to allow them to attract income, as without that we are relying on goodwill from the ARLC and RFL which is not a model which will drive the world game forward.

I don't know how announcing it via an obscure website is superior to announcing it on a major tv station during a live broadcast involving one of the teams. One announcement will be heard by hundreds of thousands, including many in the rugby league media, and the other will be read by a few rugby league fans.

yep, announcing it publicly, supported by an official release seems a pretty good approach to me.

I don't know how announcing it via an obscure website is superior to announcing it on a major tv station during a live broadcast involving one of the teams. One announcement will be heard by hundreds of thousands, including many in the rugby league media,  and the other will be read by a few rugby league fans.

Yes, given that internet penetration in Samoa is under 30% and Tonga is only around the 40% mark, announcing it on a TV match which fans in the relevant countries will be watching seems perfectly OK to me. NRL branding? Well the company which sponsored the ANZAC Test yesterday had its brand all over the game. Again, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

There was just over 15,000.  They sounded like a much bigger crowd.  Non-stop singing and cheering.

They shut the top tier of the grandstand they were filming from and packed out both ends and the side facing the camera which made it look great on TV. Hopefully they continue developing the concept and use the funds to hold more tests in the pacific islands like this years Samoa vs Fiji match in October?

Is it possible to watch these games somewhere on the net?

It was impossible to find this game to watch live. Acrossthetasman was eventually my friend for this. But I had to ignore all the scores on Saturday until it finally came through.

Archived