Rant thread

Oh, and they go and force people to either get wireless headphones or Lightning ones for the iPhone but remove the Lightning connector from the Macbook Pro.  Yay for a well spent $10bn per year on innovation.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

And yet millions of us are still buying their products. They've got us sorted haven't they?!

You're right though; it's a ruddy ripoff.

I had full approval from the dearly beloved wife to buy a new top-end MacBook Pro to replace my ageing early 2011 one given it's starting to creak a bit and can't handle what I use it for.  I went on the site to buy it but I just laughed at the price.  The price to upgrade to 1TB drive is shameful, and no way user replaceable given it's soldered onto the board.  And you can't get 32gb memory.  Then I worked out I'd have to buy five new adaptors.  I think I'll buy a Windows based top-end laptop and use the rest towards a nice holiday,

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

But MacBooks are so lovely and shiny.

(macbook pro 2015, late edition)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I had full approval from the dearly beloved wife to buy a new top-end MacBook Pro to replace my ageing early 2011 one given it's starting to creak a bit and can't handle what I use it for.  I went on the site to buy it but I just laughed at the price.  The price to upgrade to 1TB drive is shameful, and no way user replaceable given it's soldered onto the board.  And you can't get 32gb memory.  Then I worked out I'd have to buy five new adaptors.  I think I'll buy a Windows based top-end laptop and use the rest towards a nice holiday,

I just wouldn't be able to justify such cost. It would seem there are enough people out there who either can justify it, or simply can't resist the urge. Either way, the prices quoted are obscene IMO.

The last Apple product I owned was a laptop with a B&W screen. So that was quite a while ago...

apple-powerbook-100-right.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just wouldn't be able to justify such cost. It would seem there are enough people out there who either can justify it, or simply can't resist the urge. Either way, the prices quoted are obscene IMO.

I actually use it to its max occasionally.  See the graphic below for the temperatures I've had my poor current one running at far too often.  I have currently 10 VMs on my machine, each with different configs and I give each 50gb disk space, then I have the Bootcamp Windows partition; I've occasionally run 4 VMs at once taking every bit of memory, graphics and processing power the thing has.  I'm a key target market for the top-end pro device because I need it but the new one is just shamefully priced and without the tech options I need to future proof it to 2020-2021.

CPU-1.png

Just compared mine with todays equivalent and the only big change is the graphics card (same spec processor, ram and hard drive), and its now £600 more expensive.  Ouch.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Saw this posted elsewhere about the new Macbook Pro:

Want to share a file with a thumb drive? need an adapter for that
Want to use an Ethernet cable because the WIFI is down? need an adapter for that
Want to connect your iPhone with any one of your lightning cables? need an adapter for that
Want to connect your lightning earbuds because Apple was "courageous" enough to remove the 3.5mm jack on your phone? Need an adapter for that
Want to connect any display using HDMI, Thunderbolt, DVI, Mini DVI, or VGA? need an adapter for that
Want to charge your phone with the same wall adapter that you also use for your iPad and Apple watch after you bought a USB-C cable so you can use it with your Macbook Pro? need an adapter for that or buy a new wall charger
Want to update your maps on an SD Card? Need an SD Card reader for that
Want to hop in your friend's car and charge up your iPhone with your USB-C cable by plugging it in the USB port? Tough luck
Accidentally trip over your power cord? better go check your Macbook for damage and hope it's not as bad as you know it is.
Want the current generation of processors to go with the overdue Macbook Pro announcement? tough luck, have last year's processors
Want the current spec DDR4 RAM to go with the overdue Macbook Pro announcement? tough luck, here's some DDR3

Microsoft in a very rare act of agility have just put their lovely Surface Book (no sarcasm) on offer. Buy it and get the new XBox One S, a free extra controller and a game thrown in for free.

Hmmm...

Rant thread???? RANT????,

I went to buy more euro.... i didn't buy any.... they were having me bent over!!!

€1.07 ffs

Where were you trying to buy from?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rant thread???? RANT????,

I went to buy more euro.... i didn't buy any.... they were having me bent over!!!

€1.07 ffs

Exciting, isn't it? :fie:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Shop around a bit and you might even afford a trip down under for the WC next year. See! I do try to be positive.

Shop around a bit and you might even afford a trip down under for the WC next year. See! I do try to be positive.

The new Microsoft Surface Book looks like it'll do most of the job I need, plus the detachable screen acting as a tablet device means I don't need to replace my iPad either.  And I'll save the best part of £1000, or £1600 if I factored the iPad replacement in.

Apple really have finally lost it if they've managed to alienate a very long-term Apple fan like me.

The new Microsoft Surface Book looks like it'll do most of the job I need, plus the detachable screen acting as a tablet device means I don't need to replace my iPad either. And I'll save the best part of £1000, or £1600 if I factored the iPad replacement in.

Apple really have finally lost it if they've managed to alienate a very long-term Apple fan like me.

Probably more savings. Apple have today increased prices on MacBook in UK due to £/$ exchange rate

Probably more savings. Apple have today increased prices on MacBook in UK due to £/$ exchange rate

The prices went up by about 35% on average, about 2/5ths of that is the exchange rate, the other 3/5ths is sheer gouging of the market.  The Apple CEO said that they were concentrating on innovation and their chief designer was talking about how great all the new things were in the new MacBook Pro, they seem to think thinner=innovation when that's not the point of the MBP, if you want thin then get an Air or iPad, the Pro has always been about having a top-end version that can act as a mobile professional workstation.  $10bn of innovation to come up with a touchscreen to replace the function keys, remove some of the best functionality of a MBP and make it thinner.  Oh, and solder everything together so that it's not maintainable or serviceable, especially given the hard drive they've put in it has a mean life expectancy of 3 years when I'd expect these devices to last a good bit longer for the price.

My turn, please.

I want to rant about those congenital Ryanair critics, the ones who don't understand the term "low cost airline" and who try to underestimate the price advantage Ryanair has over over-priced, over -manned inefficient airlines in the IAG. Flies in the face of experience and stats.

My turn, please.

I want to rant about those congenital Ryanair critics, the ones who don't understand the term "low cost airline" and who try to underestimate the price advantage Ryanair has over over-priced, over -manned inefficient airlines in the IAG. Flies in the face of experience and stats.

If you can plan then budget airlines aren't that cheap. I got business class British Airways flights to Naples for me and my wife to attend our friends' wedding for cheaper than our friends could get EasyJet.

My turn, please.

I'm with you on this one, John.

It's not so much the price that matters (though it is important), it's the convenience. Ryanair flies from Chania (50 miles away) to both Leeds/Bradford and Manchester (among others) and the flight times are great, except the 7:00am departure from LBA. Easyjet flies from Heraklion (also 50 miles away) to Manchester, but flight times vary with some being awful. Anything else involves at least one change at Athens.

Just booked for myself and Carol to visit the UK next August to attend a mate's wedding on Friday, 25th August 2017. Now, if only there was something on on the Saturday that I could go to. ;)

Edited by tonyXIII