Rant thread

18 hours ago, Mark S said:

it's pretty good considering it biased towards the Tories.

You wish! There is abundant evidence collected over many many years that this is most definately NOT the case. It might be prejudiced against far left lies, nonsense and rubbish, but then, who in their right minds wouldn't be? 

22 hours ago, Mark S said:

Chris Evans would be much better if he wasn't so obsessed ensuring no one is offended. He has become a typical Radio 2 safe pair of hands.

I am in my late 30s and have started to listen to radio 4 on a morning, it's pretty good considering it biased towards the Tories.

I started listening to Radio 4 in my twenties.  But I did feel I was listening into a radio station for other people.  I said at work that it was aimed at a more middle aged, middle class audience.  I no longer feel like I am only listening in, but then I am far more middle aged and middle class now.

As for the bias, it is for a rather cozy middle class audience and presents the world with that outlook.  I do not think it is a deliberate bias and I actually believe they try to be as impartial as possible.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I started listening to Radio 4 in my twenties.  But I did feel I was listening into a radio station for other people.  I said at work that it was aimed at a more middle aged, middle class audience.  I no longer feel like I am only listening in, but then I am far more middle aged and middle class now.

As for the bias, it is for a rather cozy middle class audience and presents the world with that outlook.  I do not think it is a deliberate bias and I actually believe they try to be as impartial as possible.

I also switched to Radio 4 in my twenties. I've always preferred talking on the radio to music and I liked Moyles on Radio 1 for a few years.

I've since discovered audiobooks and with a mixture of them and podcasts I almost never listen to the radio which I find much more tolerable for my near 2 hours in the car of a day!

on a morning listening to union jack radio on digital - mix of comedy and  british music- yes, like any other station it can tend to repeat a lot of songs but hardly any adverts and no boring chat or self obsessed presenters makes that worth while, 6 music in the aft for Radcliffe or maconie  (they never seem to be on together) - would like to see where the likes of feltz, evens, vine etc would be if the licence payer woke up and said they were not prepared to line the pockets of chums of chums friends well connected mates anymore

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 2/22/2017 at 7:08 AM, Farmduck said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how the anti-SJW, pro-free speech, anti-Cultural Marxist community on YT handles the crashing and burning of Milo Yiannopoulos. I've only seen a couple of them attempt it thus far. It's one of those dilemmas like the classic SJW dilemma - what if Harambe had grabbed an AR15 and shot a lesbian Muslim couple and their disabled adopted black child? It would take forever to tally up the final victim points in that situation.

One of the first problems for the YT community of which I spoke - I can't think of a good name for them, Sargonistas? - is that, despite the general left hatred of Milo, they didn't bring him down. It was, allegedly, Glen Beck and the GOP establishment types who were looking for a way to get at the God Emperor ahead of his performance this week at CPAC. There are still no leftist, "Ding dong, the witch is dead," videos up on YT. In fact the most frequent commenter has been a fellow Breitbarter who may have his eye on Milo's job.

My 2 cents worth: Milo is/was an opportunist troll who didn't care who he offended as long as it advanced his career. Most of his more credible talking points were coming from people around him like Christina Hoff Summers but Milo was the one who could pull a crowd, or more accurately, an angry rioting mob, which played straight into the hands of the Trumpist alternative media and their "Sargonista" running dogs.

Ever since the Trump coronation I have been waiting for the God Emperor to do something so egregious that even his redneck fanboys would have to question it. I thought it would take 6 months and I never thought it would be Milo who played a role. I know this doesn't hurt Trump directly. What it does is require some bizarre mental gymnastics on the part of his YT hordes to decide what to do with Milo. If he's a pedophile, he must be shunned. If he attended a pedophile event in California and said nothing, then he's an enabler and must be shunned, particularly in light of the Pizzagater component of the Donald's Golden Shower. (oops! I meant Golden Horde, Golden Horde)

The preferred current narrative is that Milo is a victim of pedophilia who hasn't been dealing with it well. But hang on! Trumpists hate victims! Well, yes but only liberal victims so Milo is an acceptable victim. But hang on, if there are acceptable victims, who is sorting the piles? and since the Trumpistas hate the Hollywood elites, how can Milo be allowed to get away with continuing to cover up the events he allegedly saw at that party in California?

For shut-ins like me, with no personal lives and even fewer ambitions, YT promises an interesting week. (or 2 days, given the average YT attention span. I wish YT didn't have that feature to see your engagement time on your own vids. Visitors to my vids spend, on average, less than 30 seconds.)

As a fellow YT tragic (although I don't post videos) I've been following these events with some interest.

I first became properly interested in YT during the early days of YT atheism and skepticism when it was all about making fun of creationists and debunking homeopaths and the like. The vast majority of people in this were fellow left-leaning people like myself and there was little drama to speak of.

This changed pretty suddenly over the role of women and allegations of rampant sexism within the community. Over the years this has merged into a much bigger online feud between SJW's and anti-SJW's with much wider disagreements over misogyny, Islamophobia, free speech, safe spaces, cultural appropriation etc  

Throughout my life I've always been passionate about judging each case on its merits and this often leaves me a bit in limbo with this. I dislike a great deal about SJWs and think that their approach is often disastrous. Their obsession with identity politics and reluctance to accept different opinions is illiberal and helping to contribute to the rise of Trump and the like. However, I do think that there is merit in some of what they say. However the anti-SJW crowd has often lurched towards the right and does have a significant proportion that are quite bigoted. For instance, whilst probably being initially liberal-leaning they would now watch and quote people like Steven Crowder and Lauren Southern and doubt global warming etc I like your term of Sargonista to describe them as he is a good example of what I'm talking about. I've watched his videos but never followed him, there was just something I didn't like or trust about what he was saying.

I found the past year useful in knowing who to continue watching. The Trump election and to a lesser extent Brexit were clear lines in the sand for me when it came to people who actually look at facts and give their opinions and those who were defined by being anti-SJW and as a result were left in the ludicrous situation of supporting Trump over Clinton. There are relatively few people who I trust to look at evidence objectively while broadly agreeing with their conclusions. Bill Maher, Sam Harris, Majid Nawaz and a YTber called Noel Plum are a few I still enjoy listening to. Even though he has many (many) flaws Thunderf00t is somebody who will call out obvious bull even if most of his followers are jumping on an anti-SJW bandwagon.

Milo was an obvious troll who many anti-SJWs had embraced and not just because they wanted to defend his right to have an opinion. Interestingly, I caught a clip from an old Big Questions episode before that he happened to be on and he was much more civil and less of a flamboyant provocateur so to speak. It was an act and it was always likely to end in tears as he was going to say something that went much too far. 

6 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I found the past year useful in knowing who to continue watching. The Trump election and to a lesser extent Brexit were clear lines in the sand for me when it came to people who actually look at facts and give their opinions and those who were defined by being anti-SJW and as a result were left in the ludicrous situation of supporting Trump over Clinton. There are relatively few people who I trust to look at evidence objectively while broadly agreeing with their conclusions. Bill Maher, Sam Harris, Majid Nawaz and a YTber called Noel Plum are a few I still enjoy listening to. Even though he has many (many) flaws Thunderf00t is somebody who will call out obvious bull even if most of his followers are jumping on an anti-SJW bandwagon.

Milo was an obvious troll who many anti-SJWs had embraced and not just because they wanted to defend his right to have an opinion. Interestingly, I caught a clip from an old Big Questions episode before that he happened to be on and he was much more civil and less of a flamboyant provocateur so to speak. It was an act and it was always likely to end in tears as he was going to say something that went much too far.

I only got into YT bigly after the election because I wanted to see if I was stuck in a bubble, or echo chamber. I started with Dawkins and Hitchens, just to flush out my brain then found Thunderfoot, Sargon, etc. I learnt that I really was in an echo chamber - ABC and SBS TV, SMH, Guardian,I vote Greens, etc - but I wasn't exactly wrong. I'd just become very lazy in my thinking over the last 15 years. As an example, when Global Warming started to be a big thing, I went to the library (I didn't have the webzes) and got a series of 500-page science textbooks and geography texts and worked it out for myself. I hadn't bothered doing that for years, except for Indigenous issues in Australia where I've learnt so much about it that now I'm not on anyone's side.

It's a worthwhile pursuit. Rightists like Ben Shapiro and Christina Hoff Summers and Thomas Sowell are good coherent thinkers but they still haven't won me over. Their analysis of root causes of issues is so much better than anything on TV. The more popular Right, like Rebel Media and Crowder fall into the same trap as many of the popular anti-SJWs, nutpicking. You see a group with an opinion and pick out the nuttiest member or speaker then focus on demolishing them, rather than any fact-based dismantling of the argument. On the "left" (or what Americans call the Left) I don't follow anyone. I follow Colbert and Samantha Bee as comedians and Matt Dillahunty (an atheist) for his ability to construct long-form arguments. I like a young English guy, Cosmic Skeptic and I can't believe he's only 18. He's a big Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Krauss fan, mainly a science-based atheist. I like Magdalen Berns who's a lesbian mainstream feminist who does a few anti-trans vids. I think she lives in Edinburgh. I follow Feminism LOL who is a Canadian who is actually more concerned with legal issues like free speech - a la Jordan Petersen - and the current state of Canadian rape laws. I like Potholer who seems to be an Anglo/OZ scientist who has done some good debunkings of Creationism and Climate Change denial.

YT is like anything - the quality depends on how hard you look. It has definitely made me a better thinker than 4 months of TV would have.

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I also switched to Radio 4 in my twenties. I've always preferred talking on the radio to music and I liked Moyles on Radio 1 for a few years.

I've since discovered audiobooks and with a mixture of them and podcasts I almost never listen to the radio which I find much more tolerable for my near 2 hours in the car of a day!

Very similar listening habits to myself, though I didn't make the R4 switch until my 40s. Really enjoying the audio books which I've only got into since just before Christmas. They are such a convenient way to consume a good book; time and place being no hindrance to "reading" them. Currently working my way through all the Dickens classics.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

Very similar listening habits to myself, though I didn't make the R4 switch until my 40s. Really enjoying the audio books which I've only got into since just before Christmas. They are such a convenient way to consume a good book; time and place being no hindrance to "reading" them. Currently working my way through all the Dickens classics.

One of the best things I ever did.

I'm currently looking to move jobs closer to home but this is the one aspect I will genuinely miss because I know I won't "read" as much without the drive.

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I only got into YT bigly after the election because I wanted to see if I was stuck in a bubble, or echo chamber. I started with Dawkins and Hitchens, just to flush out my brain then found Thunderfoot, Sargon, etc. I learnt that I really was in an echo chamber - ABC and SBS TV, SMH, Guardian,I vote Greens, etc - but I wasn't exactly wrong. I'd just become very lazy in my thinking over the last 15 years. As an example, when Global Warming started to be a big thing, I went to the library (I didn't have the webzes) and got a series of 500-page science textbooks and geography texts and worked it out for myself. I hadn't bothered doing that for years, except for Indigenous issues in Australia where I've learnt so much about it that now I'm not on anyone's side.

It's a worthwhile pursuit. Rightists like Ben Shapiro and Christina Hoff Summers and Thomas Sowell are good coherent thinkers but they still haven't won me over. Their analysis of root causes of issues is so much better than anything on TV. The more popular Right, like Rebel Media and Crowder fall into the same trap as many of the popular anti-SJWs, nutpicking. You see a group with an opinion and pick out the nuttiest member or speaker then focus on demolishing them, rather than any fact-based dismantling of the argument. On the "left" (or what Americans call the Left) I don't follow anyone. I follow Colbert and Samantha Bee as comedians and Matt Dillahunty (an atheist) for his ability to construct long-form arguments. I like a young English guy, Cosmic Skeptic and I can't believe he's only 18. He's a big Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Krauss fan, mainly a science-based atheist. I like Magdalen Berns who's a lesbian mainstream feminist who does a few anti-trans vids. I think she lives in Edinburgh. I follow Feminism LOL who is a Canadian who is actually more concerned with legal issues like free speech - a la Jordan Petersen - and the current state of Canadian rape laws. I like Potholer who seems to be an Anglo/OZ scientist who has done some good debunkings of Creationism and Climate Change denial.

YT is like anything - the quality depends on how hard you look. It has definitely made me a better thinker than 4 months of TV would have.

The echo chamber is a real problem of modern society and something I try to fight against but with little success. I don't for instance unfollow people or stop watching their videos if they give one opinion that I don't agree with. I even kept Steve Shives for ages for this principle but eventually gave up and stopped bothering when he went full SJW and blocked everyone who asked him a question.

I've been watching people on YT for a number of years and find myself losing interest in listening to people who are opinionated but don't necessarily know much about it. Very few people are willing to say 'I might be wrong about this,' or present a balanced view of both sides. Videos tend to be one-sided rants that only present their side of the evidence.

I watched Potholer for years and is one of the few YTers who has managed to keep on doing it completely drama free. I don't mind Hoff Summers and she makes some good points in a non-partisan way, like with the gender pay gap, as you say though I'm not 100% convinced that she is telling the whole story. Shapiro sounds good but again it's a very one-sided view, he came across better on The Rubin Report recently though although I still didn't agree with him. I actually follow Crowder but only for entertainment purposes, he's gone from being anti-Trump to a pro-Trump mouthpiece. I'd probably get criticised from both sides for saying this but people only listen to Lauren Southern because she's a pretty face. I really dislike Jordan Peterson, there is something about him that I distrust. 

I don't really follow too many on the left because of their obsession with identity and inability to take a difference of opinion. There are a number of issues of which there is a correct viewpoint and if you are not 100% in agreement then you are not only wrong but are borderline evil. Abortion and trans issues are two examples that come to mind. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I don't really follow too many on the left because of their obsession with identity and inability to take a difference of opinion. There are a number of issues of which there is a correct viewpoint and if you are not 100% in agreement then you are not only wrong but are borderline evil. Abortion and trans issues are two examples that come to mind. 

One thing I found in California were the feminists I knew either could not understand why or struggled to accept that I did not consider myself feminist.  The other feminists I knew considered me a hard-line misogynist.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

One thing I found in California were the feminists I knew either could not understand why or struggled to accept that I did not consider myself feminist.  The other feminists I knew considered me a hard-line misogynist.

Almost everybody is a feminist when it comes to the issue of equal rights for women. However, I wouldn't call myself a feminist because it is so much more than this; it is an ideology with a whole host of other things attached to it. Even something as simple as the gender pay gap is used in a completely misleading way even though it does exist on some level.

I still class myself as a liberal but becoming a dad made me think twice on some subjects such as abortion. It's not something I'd ever questioned before and accepted what everybody I knew said even to the point where I thought pro-life people were dinosaurs. However, when I went for a 12 week scan and saw something in the shape of a mini-human kicking its legs around, it certainly made me question what actually happens. Now I'm not saying I'm a pro-lifer or anything but I don't think many 'feminists' would even accept the questioning part. 

52 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

One of the best things I ever did.

I'm currently looking to move jobs closer to home but this is the one aspect I will genuinely miss because I know I won't "read" as much without the drive.

I "read" them on the train alot. My eyesight isn't brilliant for reading (I'm short sighted, but it fluctuates between wearing and not wearing glasses when reading, which is tiering. Bifocals becon) so they are great. Plus you get to gaze out of the window while enjoying the book.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

9 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Almost everybody is a feminist when it comes to the issue of equal rights for women. However, I wouldn't call myself a feminist because it is so much more than this; it is an ideology with a whole host of other things attached to it. Even something as simple as the gender pay gap is used in a completely misleading way even though it does exist on some level.

I still class myself as a liberal but becoming a dad made me think twice on some subjects such as abortion. It's not something I'd ever questioned before and accepted what everybody I knew said even to the point where I thought pro-life people were dinosaurs. However, when I went for a 12 week scan and saw something in the shape of a mini-human kicking its legs around, it certainly made me question what actually happens. Now I'm not saying I'm a pro-lifer or anything but I don't think many 'feminists' would even accept the questioning part. 

I question many of the things I hold true. Often. It's only by constant questioning can you have any possibility of being right (right being your own subjective right rather than a definite "right").

Edited by Griff9of13

46 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

I "read" them on the train alot. My eyesight isn't brilliant for reading (I'm short sighted, but it fluctuates between wearing and not wearing glasses when reading, which is tiering. Bifocals becon) so they are great. Plus you get to gaze out of the window while enjoying the book.

I only get a chance to read at night. Have two kids under 3, I tend to get a page in and then fall asleep.

Audiobooks are a great distraction and can even make me look forward to a journey. I started with the complete works of Sherlock Holmes and each short story was about the length of a journey. Great stuff.

• Like 1

The problem is 3rd Wave Feminism. It doesn't have the legitimate institutional barriers that the first 2 waves had so it has had to invent some. We recently had a case at Sydney Uni where there was a scholarship giving preference to males planning to work in rural areas and specialise in large animals. There was an obvious legitimate need because farmers can't get vets who will live in the bush and stay there for long periods. Vet schools churn out women who end up working part-time in suburban practices doing cats and dogs. To the extent that the current graduating year admissions at Sydney Uni Vet School are 90% female.

There was the predictable outrage at anything preferencing men yet, if the gender ratios had been reversed it would have been accepted as a good idea without a murmur.

I read the most recent report from the OZ Work Gender Equality Agency and it was very unconvincing. The starting difference here is 100:82, M:F. The report went through the obvious reasons and was left with about a 4% difference which it just ascribed to sexism, without any supporting evidence. I find this issue extremely dishonest because it ignores asset acquisition and capital growth and access to partner's pension funds, in the event of death or divorce. How can you make financial comparisons between the genders if you are ignoring their shares of any asset distribution?

Another bogus whine I saw recently was a Forbes rich list which showed the 10 richest people are men. Well yes, but ....... I'll bet they're all married and all live in jurisdictions where, legally, the wife owns half of that wealth whether she works or not.

Rape culture is another blatant lie which comes with its own built-in excuse. Crime stats show that rape has been steadily decreasing in most industrialised countries for the last 20 years. But then we're told that this is because of under-reporting. Women don't trust the (male-dominated) criminal justice system. Well 32% of NSW Police, 34% of NSW judges and magistrates, 50% of NSW lawyers and 63% of NSW Law graduates are women. That excuse doesn't really stand up.

38 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I used to listen to Radio 4 years ago and used to love it and never thought of it as for older people or middle class. 

But nowadays I can't bear to listen to it, even for a minute. Anything that I might like is invariably on 4Extra anyway.

I was the same when I heard the average age was like 57 or something.

I don't mind Eddie Mair the odd time but other than that I tend to listen to the odd podcast of the moral maze or beyond belief for a laugh. The comedy seems to get worse all the time. 

3 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I'd just become very lazy in my thinking over the last 15 years.

That struck a chord! I thought I was just getting old and cranky, but you're right. I've become a lazy thinker. WOW! Thanks for that.

BTW. I'm serious. No irony intended.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

17 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

The problem is 3rd Wave Feminism. It doesn't have the legitimate institutional barriers that the first 2 waves had so it has had to invent some. We recently had a case at Sydney Uni where there was a scholarship giving preference to males planning to work in rural areas and specialise in large animals. There was an obvious legitimate need because farmers can't get vets who will live in the bush and stay there for long periods. Vet schools churn out women who end up working part-time in suburban practices doing cats and dogs. To the extent that the current graduating year admissions at Sydney Uni Vet School are 90% female.

There was the predictable outrage at anything preferencing men yet, if the gender ratios had been reversed it would have been accepted as a good idea without a murmur.

I read the most recent report from the OZ Work Gender Equality Agency and it was very unconvincing. The starting difference here is 100:82, M:F. The report went through the obvious reasons and was left with about a 4% difference which it just ascribed to sexism, without any supporting evidence. I find this issue extremely dishonest because it ignores asset acquisition and capital growth and access to partner's pension funds, in the event of death or divorce. How can you make financial comparisons between the genders if you are ignoring their shares of any asset distribution?

Another bogus whine I saw recently was a Forbes rich list which showed the 10 richest people are men. Well yes, but ....... I'll bet they're all married and all live in jurisdictions where, legally, the wife owns half of that wealth whether she works or not.

Rape culture is another blatant lie which comes with its own built-in excuse. Crime stats show that rape has been steadily decreasing in most industrialised countries for the last 20 years. But then we're told that this is because of under-reporting. Women don't trust the (male-dominated) criminal justice system. Well 32% of NSW Police, 34% of NSW judges and magistrates, 50% of NSW lawyers and 63% of NSW Law graduates are women. That excuse doesn't really stand up.

The problem I have with the gender pay gap is that it is presented almost as if you go into your local shop the men are earning £100 for every £84 of their female co-workers. 

Bringing up children and the inevitable affect on income is almost never mentioned. For instance when my wife first got pregnant we were on a similar wage but it would have made more financial sense for me to take 9 months off and for her to carry on working. In reality this was never an option and although I mentioned it I didn't push the issue. After having two children the result is that I now earn more than she does by around 50%. She has moved jobs and ended up taking work that fits around the children, specifically childcare. 

Now this in itself is an issue. She obviously felt pressure as a mother to stay home with the children as they grew up and this had an inevitable effect on her earnings. I see it in teaching all the time, so many mums come back part time and this in turn affects whether they eventually move up the ladder. However, I object to the way it is dishonestly presented as somehow that men keep the best jobs for themselves and just don't pay women the same... There is some element of this, especially at the top level but it is much exaggerated in everyday life. 

Your last point is one that I agree with. Growing up it felt like almost everybody of our generation was on the same page, things were getting better and pretty much everyone I knew wanted the same thing. We wanted to try wherever possible to see through race and gender but this has turned 180. All of sudden it feels as though I'm the enemy purely because I'm a straight white male and I'm disqualified from opinions on certain topics because of this. 

Edited by Maximus Decimus

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I watched Potholer for years and is one of the few YTers who has managed to keep on doing it completely drama free. I don't mind Hoff Summers and she makes some good points in a non-partisan way, like with the gender pay gap, as you say though I'm not 100% convinced that she is telling the whole story. Shapiro sounds good but again it's a very one-sided view, he came across better on The Rubin Report recently though although I still didn't agree with him. I actually follow Crowder but only for entertainment purposes, he's gone from being anti-Trump to a pro-Trump mouthpiece. I'd probably get criticised from both sides for saying this but people only listen to Lauren Southern because she's a pretty face. I really dislike Jordan Peterson, there is something about him that I distrust.

Shapiro is one of the few right wing commentators who is not a mindless Trumpista. The other day I saw his dissection of the God Emperor's press conference and Florida election rally. He rightly called out The Donald over the "Press is the enemy of the people" and a few other incoherent ramblings and he's prepared to lay the blame right at Trump's feet. Too many others are overusing the tired line that everything Trump does wrong is really just MSM vendetta.

Thunderfoot did a critique of Lauren Southern's reporting of an Antifa riot where she, well, let's just say she made very little effort to distinguish between the orderly anti-Trump protest and the Antifa antics that followed. Lauren is a bit like Tomi Lahren in that, if they were 30kg heavier, they would lose 75% of their audiences. Tomi Lahren also doesn't have much substance behind the blonde hair and basic talking points.

I've watched a couple of full Rubins. I wish he'd get to the point a bit quicker but he is a nice change, in having a good variety of guests without making the show all about him. I think his channel will grow then maybe he will have to tighten up his format a bit.

Jordan Petersen is, IMO, a one-trick pony who found himself thrust into the spotlight because of the Canadian hate-speech legislation. I think he's even a Christian and some of his other ideas seem less than fully fleshed out. Jonathan Haidt is another academic who has a good vid about polarisation in the electorate but has no full-spectrum platform.

I like Vernaculis who is from Boston I think. He's only 23 but a good clear thinker. He's pro-First and Second Amendment but not really conservative and definitely not a Trump apologist.

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

Be careful! Bifocals and varifocals take some getting used to. You might want to avoid staircases when wearing them. I wear a very thin pair of reading glasses when teaching (I can see the students over them and read the book through them - much like bifocals). I once forgot to take them off, walked out of the classroom and missed my step on the staircase. I avoided a nasty fall only by reaching out and grabbing the bannister.

You have been warned.;)

• Like 1

I think i'll stick to my YT diet of Casey Neistat, Gary Vee and shonduras.  Less agro!

Edited by Bedford Roughyed

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

15 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

That struck a chord! I thought I was just getting old and cranky, but you're right. I've become a lazy thinker. WOW! Thanks for that.

BTW. I'm serious. No irony intended.

Oddly, I've always been very calm and moderate in social situations - the typical diplomat and peacemaker. I promised myself that when I turned 60 (2 years ago) I would become an unapologetic, cranky old c@@@. It didn't happen. I've actually become a more fact-based critical thinker, even reading articles and lessons about logic and fallacies online. I really wanted to be a cranky old c*** because I'd seen so many others do it and get away with it for years. When I got there, I didn't want it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think i'll stick to my YT diet of Casey Neistat, Gary Vee and Honduras.  Less agro!

The whole point of YT is the interaction with the creators and/or the commenters. Without that you might as well just watch TV. (I know Neistat is a famous gamer? skater? but I don't know the other 2)  The aggro is one of the most important parts of the Webzes. Getting all worked up but NOT typing is a massive sign of personal growth.

The posts on here about misdirected feminism reminded of my dad. He was a teacher back in the 40s and up to the 80s. some time after equal pay for women came in, he told me it was a mistake. I thought, "You're mad." However, his was a pov based on the social structure of a previous generation. Men go out to work and women stay home and raise the children, so pay men a much better salary and women a much lower salary. Sexist! Really? In the context of his upbringing - early 20th century - is it so ridiculous? Probably not. But it'll never come back and that's probably for the best, but it does imply a truly significant change in the structure of society.

I used to listen to music radio a lot, especially Radio Luxembourg, but I suffered a traumatic incident in the late Eighties. We lived on top of a hill, and a radio could pull in a lot of stations. One night, I was trawling the airwaves, looking for something to enjoy, and every pop music station was playing a Madonna single. My more or less complete conversion to speech radio dates from that horrific, stomach-churning moment.

I listen to Radio 4, Radio 4 Extra, Radio 5 and the World Service a lot, plus Radio 3 for specific broadcasts whose listings catch my attention. If there's anything worth keeping, Squarepenguin's very useful get_iplayer software downloads it to my hard drive.

get_iplayer from Squarepenguin

I have tried audiobooks, but they have never really done it for me. The attention drifts. My last job saw me spending 3 hours a day (minimum) commuting, but it was mostly in empty trains, so I could read loads.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson