Rant thread

4 hours ago, Phil said:

He definitely has his "favourites" 

Have you tried wearing a shorter skirt? :P 

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

rant at bbc 6 music presenters/ djs

not every track played and every session done on 6 music is exiting, brilliant , fabulous , fantastic and amazing, some of it is quite mediocre and instantly forgettable - so stop saying it!

Know what you mean, but I do like the Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show on a Saturday evening. 

• Like 2

Just now, BryanC said:

Know what you mean, but I do like the Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show on a Saturday evening. 

I love 6 music but the presenters need to stop saying everything is brilliant and have individual opinions of their own

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

(Crudely disguised foul language below, I really do apologise but this needs to be said...)

Tonight's "fun" has been filling in a form for the NHS justifying why I should be paid my redundancy money.  I have to show that I've looked hard for NHS jobs and made myself available for NHS jobs since I left, including any job that would have reset my working clock to zero and given me a pay cut.  That'll be assessed by someone I don't know on subjective grounds that I am not allowed to see and they'll make the decision whether I'm worthy of being paid MY ****ING REDUNDANCY MONEY THAT THEY ****ING WELL OWE ME.  If they decide I'm not worthy then I have to sue them at an Employment Tribunal where I'll have to indemnify them against their costs for if I lose as well as pay £390 to actually get the Tribunal to hear my claim.

I'm rapidly losing any sentiment towards the NHS's bureaucracy over how they're treating me and others who have been made redundant.  It's not our ****ing fault that the NHS is being cut so stop treating us like ****ing criminals for wanting to get the money that they ****ing well owe us.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 7/18/2017 at 5:59 PM, Phil said:

I'm a catch I am ??

Ignore them, Phil.

They are just not as cutting edge.  They are so mainstream.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, ckn said:

(Crudely disguised foul language below, I really do apologise but this needs to be said...)

Tonight's "fun" has been filling in a form for the NHS justifying why I should be paid my redundancy money.  I have to show that I've looked hard for NHS jobs and made myself available for NHS jobs since I left, including any job that would have reset my working clock to zero and given me a pay cut.  That'll be assessed by someone I don't know on subjective grounds that I am not allowed to see and they'll make the decision whether I'm worthy of being paid MY ****ING REDUNDANCY MONEY THAT THEY ****ING WELL OWE ME.  If they decide I'm not worthy then I have to sue them at an Employment Tribunal where I'll have to indemnify them against their costs for if I lose as well as pay £390 to actually get the Tribunal to hear my claim.

I'm rapidly losing any sentiment towards the NHS's bureaucracy over how they're treating me and others who have been made redundant.  It's not our ****ing fault that the NHS is being cut so stop treating us like ****ing criminals for wanting to get the money that they ****ing well owe us.

I really can't get over this one section of a ten section form where I'm expected to give a long narrative:

Give details of how the search for suitable alternative employment has been undertaken including how frequently NHS Jobs has been accessed and the search criteria used; other search websites or journals/newspapers that have been reviewed; whether your CV has been sent to wider NHS organisations; details of posts that have been considered as potentially suitable and why they were subsequently deemed not suitable; what support has been provided and any related seminars/training that have been attended.

I genuinely am expected to give a daily diary of what I've done to minimise the NHS's problem and I'm not allowed to see the criteria that I'm being judged on.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Genuine question for CKN, If I'm made redundant, why do I have to find a job?  Why can't I go on a 6 month world tour?  Why do the NHS have any say in what I do?  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Genuine question for CKN, If I'm made redundant, why do I have to find a job?  Why can't I go on a 6 month world tour?  Why do the NHS have any say in what I do?  

Abso-***ing-lutely.

I'm utterly burned out after fighting for three months to try to save the jobs of far too many good people who worked for me.  I had it made clear to me that I'd have to justify taking holiday between 1st July and 28th July, even though I'm not an employee any longer, as I should be looking to minimise the risk of the NHS having to pay out.

Finished.  The thing that REALLY gets me about this is that people who are having to work their notice, unlike me who agreed to leave without notice, is that they'll have to keep this up for four months if they can't get a job in the NHS.

What a fantastic way to rub in failure.

Seriously, even those who secure a non-NHS job have to do this sodding thing to get their redundancy money to prove they've tried hard to get a NHS one and reduce the cost to the NHS

Still don't get how they can do it.  They made you redundant?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

My external hard drive has failed.  I'm not happy.  I might have to do work during this nightshift.

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Still don't get how they can do it.  They made you redundant?

Yep, they made me compulsorily redundant when they closed down my entire service.  I managed to find jobs for most of my staff but a few joined me in the pile.

It's the modern NHS.  The bureaucracy is blinding and bitter in its desire to just remove any joy from NHS workers.  I posted earlier in this thread the degrading treatment those of my staff who are compulsorily redundant will have to endure before their notice ends, it really just rubs in "FAILURE".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

My external hard drive has failed.  I'm not happy.  I might have to do work during this nightshift.

That's a good way to learn the importance of backups!

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

That's a good way to learn the importance of backups!

The backup is at home.  

Makes me consider using a cloud based service.  

Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

The backup is at home.  

Makes me consider using a cloud based service.  

I have almost all of my documents on Microsoft's OneDrive.  I then have that offline synching with my laptop, PC and my home server, the home server then also keeps a read-only copy of files on a home NAS box.  It means I can get my documents anywhere with a network connection but also have offline copies on my main machines.  It also means that if I ever get one of those ransomware hits then I just wipe the machines affected, start again and restore from the read-only copies, even if it hits the OneDrive copies.

But then, I'm a paranoid sort who doesn't really trust technical kit not to lose my data...

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I have almost all of my documents on Microsoft's OneDrive.  I then have that offline synching with my laptop, PC and my home server, the home server then also keeps a read-only copy of files on a home NAS box.  It means I can get my documents anywhere with a network connection but also have offline copies on my main machines.  It also means that if I ever get one of those ransomware hits then I just wipe the machines affected, start again and restore from the read-only copies, even if it hits the OneDrive copies.

But then, I'm a paranoid sort who doesn't really trust technical kit not to lose my data...

I use oneDrive for documents.  Laptop, desktop + Cloud copy.  Laptop and desktop backup to a Time Machine.  In theory I should be OK with that.  Videos and photos go on 2 drives (one at home, one in my bag) + occasional backup to a drive kept at work.  The 'bag' drive is the one playing up and the work drive isn't up to date (my bad).  

Generally I like at least 2 copies in 2 locations, so in theory fire, theft and failure proof.  In theory.

3 hours ago, ckn said:

Yep, they made me compulsorily redundant when they closed down my entire service.  I managed to find jobs for most of my staff but a few joined me in the pile.

It's the modern NHS.  The bureaucracy is blinding and bitter in its desire to just remove any joy from NHS workers.  I posted earlier in this thread the degrading treatment those of my staff who are compulsorily redundant will have to endure before their notice ends, it really just rubs in "FAILURE".

It's not just the NHS either my wife and I worked at the same place and so got made redundant together and the rigmarole was incredible, It was like we were the authors of our own fate.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

A continuation of this debacle.  I submitted my form right on time at midday, within 20 minutes I received an email saying (paraphrased) "sorry, we cannot accept or review your form until next Friday as we require you to wait until four weeks is up and there is zero chance of you getting another NHS job before the expiry of those four weeks of you being unemployed."  Which is a wildly different story to the one I got previously.

A whole afternoon of blunt conversations that has just finished with me getting a written commitment that I'd met all the conditions for payment and that if I just submit the form again next Friday I'll get paid.  The very nice HR lady dealing with it also agreed to pay it as an exception rather than me having to wait until end-August or even end-September.

At this time, I'm so ill-minded towards the NHS that I would go out of my way to recommend that people actively avoid it as a career if they value any sort of positive working environment.

There's a special place in hell for the *insert expletive here* that earlier this week decided to park so close to my bike that I couldn't get it upright and off the side stand this move it. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

In the wake of the life altering stuff I resort to comparative trivia but it's something that's tortured my sensibilities for decades.   Why can nobody on the telly or radio pronounce the word " sixth". To a person they all say " sikth" !   I'll get my coat ( the one with the extra secure ties at the back). 

1 hour ago, Seaton Sandy said:

In the wake of the life altering stuff I resort to comparative trivia but it's something that's tortured my sensibilities for decades.   Why can nobody on the telly or radio pronounce the word " sixth". To a person they all say " sikth" !   I'll get my coat ( the one with the extra secure ties at the back). 

On that theme... SEC-RET-ARY not SECETARY.  Even those who are, for example, Home SecRETary.

• Like 1