Rant thread

On 22/07/2017 at 11:05 PM, ckn said:

On that theme... SEC-RET-ARY not SECETARY.  Even those who are, for example, Home SecRETary.

Also on that theme why do "yoofs" seem unable to say the word "ask" ? Is it wrong to axe ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Premium movies that are sold through iTunes and other digital sources without subtitles. My hearing isn't the greatest and we're trying to watch Arrival, there's a scene with a heavy helicopter noise that's drowning out almost all other stuff and a fairly important scene. Neither I nor the wife can understand it and the sodding movie doesn't come with subtitles. 

It's mandatory in the US for all films on sites like iTunes to have closed captioning so it's not as if there isn't any available, it's just that the film distributors don't want to pay the tiny extra license fee for the subtitles to be shown abroad.

Thwaites. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

14 hours ago, Mark S said:

All the hullabaloo about a TV show called Love Island, which I assume is another program aimed at the phuckwit generation.

Isn't it aimed at the Tory phoookweet generation?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

16 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I couldn't and won't possibly comment.

Thank you :D

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 7/26/2017 at 11:07 PM, ckn said:

Premium movies that are sold through iTunes and other digital sources without subtitles. My hearing isn't the greatest and we're trying to watch Arrival, there's a scene with a heavy helicopter noise that's drowning out almost all other stuff and a fairly important scene. Neither I nor the wife can understand it and the sodding movie doesn't come with subtitles. 

It's mandatory in the US for all films on sites like iTunes to have closed captioning so it's not as if there isn't any available, it's just that the film distributors don't want to pay the tiny extra license fee for the subtitles to be shown abroad.

Thwaites. 

I *think* every film on Amazon has subtitling.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I posted this originally on the NRL Match Thread but it definitely belongs here too.

The worst thing about that game is that the commentators, including one player with 330 NRL games behind him, didn't know basic rules of the game. The game he has been playing for nearly 30 years. Even worse, the other 2 "professional" commentators didn't know the rules either. I guess reading a 30-page booklet was beyond their cerebral capacity or maybe, they are reading it but, hey, they've only had 30 years! What's the big hurry?

It's just one of my recurring bugbears. Famous sportist gets drunk in public - it's a scandal. Famous sportist demonstrates week in, week out that they are too lazy to read or illiterate or so anti-intellectual that they don't even have the curiosity to read a booklet which would enhance their work skills - legend!

I recall Shane Warne's press conference a zillion years ago when he was suspended for failing a drug test. A reporter asked why he hadn't checked the publication listing all banned substances. Warne proudly replied, "Mate, I've never read a book in my life." What a hero. What a role model. Yes, let's have more role models up there telling the next generation that the 21st Century will be an employment goldmine for the illiterate and the pig-ignorant.

While I'm at it, what about the laziness and lack of courtesy displayed by morons aspiring to long media careers who can't even bother to pronounce players' names correctly. I find this so offensive, particularly since we saw all these ex-player commentators out on the paddock during the warm-up when all the players were there. Was it just too much effort to walk over to Taukeiaho or Seumanufagai and ask him how he would like his name pronounced?

Rant over.

• Like 2

Ok.... I get why bombay is Mumbai... a political decision to put some clear water from colonial rule by the British...

The BBC have arbitrarily adopted this and other examples whilst presumably ignoring others.... it's not a major rant and once last night's clynelish has been processed I'm sure I'll figure it out....

But why is paris not 'paree'?

Why is Munich not münchen?

Prague.... Praha etc

Antwerpen... Antwerp etc

Think I need another pint of tea.....

Edited by Robin Evans

33 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Ok.... I get why bombay is Mumbai... a political decision to put some clear water from colonial rule by the British...

The BBC have arbitrarily adopted this and other examples whilst presumably ignoring others.... it's not a major rant and once last night's clynelish has been processed I'm sure I'll figure it out....

Prague.... Praha etc

Antwerpen... Antwerp etc

Not having this one. Indian governments chose to change the name of cities formally, including in English. Presumably they set out their reasons for doing so and the BBC agreed.

As far as I know, the French government has never said that the proper English pronunciation of Paris should be Par-ee and the Flemish government has never insisted on Antwerp being called Antwerpen or Bruges spelled Brugge. Therefore the Brits use the traditional English spellings of Rome, Prague and Copenhagen.

One example for which you might have a point is in the case of the country of which Prague is the capital. If I remember rightly, the Czech government announced last year that they wanted the country to be known as Czechia. There would therefore be little justification for the country being referred to as the Czech Republic in English, assuming the new nomenclature was accepted in Czechia.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

42 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Prague.... Praha etc

Antwerpen... Antwerp etc

Good point. My old man used to ridicule the football commentators who tried to sound 'clever' by pronouncing Ajax as Ayax. Sadly for the thickos, they then added "of Amsterdam", so we got "Ayax of Amsterdam". His point was, if you want to be considered seriously, you should say "Ayax von Omsterdom" or the perfectly reasonable "Ajax of Amsterdam". He didn't like football commentators much, my old man.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

OK, someone please clarify this BBC-ism for me.

I was taught at school that the capital city of Afghanistan is Kabul.

We were taught that it is pronounced "Ka-bull". In recent years, the BBC insists on pronouncing it "Carble".

I'm not convinced that they are correct. Anyone care to correct me?

17 minutes ago, BryanC said:

OK, someone please clarify this BBC-ism for me.

I was taught at school that the capital city of Afghanistan is Kabul.

We were taught that it is pronounced "Ka-bull". In recent years, the BBC insists on pronouncing it "Carble".

I'm not convinced that they are correct. Anyone care to correct me?

I believe the proper pronunciation is to stress the second syllable rather than the first. kaBUL rather than KAbul. 

But as you'll probably get 20 different pronunciations from the locals, as you do in every city worldwide, I don't see it as that much of a problem as long as you're understood and close enough. 

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I know someone who's lived in Nu Yoik for 35 years.....

Same closer to home; the city of Lhaandaan for example. :rolleyes: 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Ask a resident of Shrewsbury how they pronounce their home's name, and you'll get a split of opinions right there.

As for foreign place names, everyone was a personal threshold for how far they take it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson