Rant thread

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

To be honest, if you buy coffee in Starbucks, you deserve all you get. Their coffee is truly awful.

If I have go to Starbucks then I usually get a filter coffee.  Theirs isn’t bad and is cheap. Better than their “proper” coffee.

Costa Coffee’s add-on of Old Paradise Street blend is my favourite of the chain coffee shops’ coffee. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

To be honest, if you buy coffee in Starbucks, you deserve all you get. Their coffee is truly awful.

It isn't nice. The only time I have Starbucks these days is if I'm in need of a caffeine refuel at a motorway service station.

I was given a coffee pod machine for Christmas. Having now rid myself of the awful Dolce Gusto own brand stuff I can now heartily recommend the ones you get via the Real Coffee Company. They appear to be recyclable too.

A whole other rant is WHY AREN'T COFFEE PODS RECYCLABLE YOU MORONS.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 hours ago, Bearman said:

Has anyone got a good name I can give the "barista" ( pretentious tawts) when I am asked to give my name in Starbucks?  

Try Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache - and make the beggars write it out in full.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It isn't nice. The only time I have Starbucks these days is if I'm in need of a caffeine refuel at a motorway service station.

I was given a coffee pod machine for Christmas. Having now rid myself of the awful Dolce Gusto own brand stuff I can now heartily recommend the ones you get via the Real Coffee Company. They appear to be recyclable too.

A whole other rant is WHY AREN'T COFFEE PODS RECYCLABLE YOU MORONS.

My sister has one of those pod machines, or a "Clooney Coffee" machine, as she calls it. The results are fairly passable.

However, the combination of an Aeropress and even Sainsbury's budget own-brand beans knocks the conkers off every pod coffee I've tasted. Buying better-quality beans pays serious dividends, though. And when I wish to really indulge myself, I buy green beans and roast/dry-fry them myself. That's a bit of a faff, but the resulting brew is a whole higher level of pleasure.

Starbucks take mediocre coffee beans and incinerate them. Then they brutalise the results and charge a stupid amount for the privilege of forcing the customer to order it in infantile cod-italian jargon.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

My sister has one of those pod machines, or a "Clooney Coffee" machine, as she calls it. The results are fairly passable.

However, the combination of an Aeropress and even Sainsbury's budget own-brand beans knocks the conkers off every pod coffee I've tasted. Buying better-quality beans pays serious dividends, though. And when I wish to really indulge myself, I buy green beans and roast/dry-fry them myself. That's a bit of a faff, but the resulting brew is a whole higher level of pleasure.

Starbucks take mediocre coffee beans and incinerate them. Then they brutalise the results and charge a stupid amount for the privilege of forcing the customer to order it in infantile cod-italian jargon.

If you get your pleasure fiddling with your green beans I'll not judge you.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have this real stick up my a@@ about American franchise chains. Never been to Starbucks. Went to McDonalds once, in 1975.  Went to Pizza Hut once in the early 80s.

When it comes to coffee I was always a big Lavazza fan but, in general, I think the critical issues are bean choice and time between roasting and drinking. Most big producers go heavy on the Arabica beans to appeal to mainstream consumers but any serious blend needs more Robusta to give it any edge.

McDonalds does genuinely do the best basic coffee of any of the chains.

Or at least in the UK it does. I imagine it varies country to country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. Very handy for a Mcpee when Im out working too!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

McDonalds on the seafront in Plays Del Ingles charge 1 whole euro for an excellent brew + it's handy if you want a Mcpee.

3 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I have this real stick up my a@@ about American franchise chains. Never been to Starbucks. Went to McDonalds once, in 1975.  Went to Pizza Hut once in the early 80s.

When it comes to coffee I was always a big Lavazza fan but, in general, I think the critical issues are bean choice and time between roasting and drinking. Most big producers go heavy on the Arabica beans to appeal to mainstream consumers but any serious blend needs more Robusta to give it any edge.

Australia (well Sydney/Melbourne anyway) had a cafe/proper coffee scene a couple of decades before the UK did.

Not really a fan of paying £3 or £4 for a load of milky hot water myself. Another vote for the Sainbury's own brand beans though.

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

Australia (well Sydney/Melbourne anyway) had a cafe/proper coffee scene a couple of decades before the UK did.

It was all the Greek and Italian migrants who started that. I grew up in a country town and until I was about 14, I don't think we even had coffee in the house. Now I haven't had a cup of tea since maybe 1980 except for when I was married to a Chinese woman and it was just standard to drink green tea with meals.

Cyclists....

Not in general but ones with lights that can be seen in outer space.

I know you need to be visible but having when I am walking down an unlit bridleway, I don't want to be blinded by something from a 90s style rave. I'm sure they wouldn't be legal on a car.

Oh and with all your flashy kit you could at least invest in a small bell rather than shouting coming through from distance.

On 09/01/2018 at 10:42 AM, JonM said:

Not really a fan of paying £3 or £4 for a load of milky hot water myself. Another vote for the Sainbury's own brand beans though.

Can't beat a Gloria Jean's flat white.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

28 minutes ago, ckn said:

Piers Morgan makes me really sad that Nigel Farage isn’t on Question Time. 

Even worse, Delingpole is on BBC This Week.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 9/1/2018 at 11:42 AM, JonM said:

On 9/1/2018 at 11:50 AM, Farmduck said:

It was all the Greek and Italian migrants who started that. I grew up in a country town and until I was about 14, I don't think we even had coffee in the house. Now I haven't had a cup of tea since maybe 1980 except for when I was married to a Chinese woman and it was just standard to drink green tea with meals.

I was stunned by how good hte coffee was in Melbourne.  I had Aussies tell me it was that good, but they also insisted every single thing was amazing compared to England, so I ignored them.  When it came to coffee, I was surprised to find it was genuinely close to world class.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

More of a random observation that a rant but anyway, this story about the 4th grader in Wisconsin whose homework included the question, "List 3 good reasons for slavery and 3 bad reasons"  (I assume they meant "List 3 reasons in favour of slavery and 3 reasons against slavery.) Here was the kid's result:

26229852_10105094231351598_2226140205036

Naturally, predictable outrage followed but my point is forget the racism, how bad is this kid's handwriting? and spelling? He's been writing for 4 years?

I'm instituting a merry new year's purge. Every retailer or delivery service that has failed me without explanation or apology gets blacklisted. If they have failed, but made the minimal effort to keep me informed on how they intend to sort out a problem, that's okay. If, however, they expect me to eat sh!t and like it, they are dead to me.

I've permanently cancelled three accounts this year and it feels good! 

Call it Darwinian selection, but the ones who have been axed really went above and beyond the call of slackness and incompetence, so I am not being draconian. I am looking to reward a level of service that is adequate or better.

I am not holding them to my own professional standards, because that would be unfair. 

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

STUFF!!! The accumulation of stuff! I have too much stuff!!! 

I recently sold a lot of stuff on eBay.  I used the money to buy more stuff, rather than pay down the credit card which was used to buy the initial stuff.  

• Haha 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!