Rant thread

1 hour ago, ckn said:

This is the one thing I agree with from Theresa May's speech yesterday, stopping the loyalty penalisation by companies.  FFS, charging three times the price for a customer staying loyal deserves all the public abuse it gets.

She's not wrong; the scam is so widespread these days.

On the other hand, if a bad experience like that keeps you alert, that's no bad thing when it comes to getting VFM in all walks of life..

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Received my home insurance renewal quote from Direct Line.   "This is just a reminder, your insurance will automatically renew, please don't flick through these pages to find the hidden price on the back of one page.  And please just ignore the figure that shows what you paid last year."  The new figure £544.32.

Utter disgrace.

A 10 minute look on Compare the Market got me superior cover through Esure with lots of added extras for £180.  Even the other insurers were substantially cheaper by hundreds of pounds.  I could have had my pick of any of the 5* rated insurance companies for under £240.

This is the one thing I agree with from Theresa May's speech yesterday, stopping the loyalty penalisation by companies.  FFS, charging three times the price for a customer staying loyal deserves all the public abuse it gets.

I used to have home insurance with Hastings. Got my renewal through for the 2nd year, about 4 times the previous year. Went on a comparison site, 10 minutes later I had a quote back at the same cost as the previous year. The new company? Hastings... 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

She's not wrong; the scam is so widespread these days.

On the other hand, if a bad experience like that keeps you alert, that's no bad thing when it comes to getting VFM in all walks of life..

The problem is that it's the less technically savvy folk who get caught out by the convenience of auto-renewal.  I think the law should be clear that auto-renewal should automatically cease if the increase in premium or charge is, say, a couple of percent above RPI.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 10/2/2018 at 12:27 PM, DavidM said:

Sports commentators who don’t want to sound critical so talk in euphemisms ... classics like ‘ he’s not having his best game / time / season “ ... “ it’s not an ideal way to start “ ... “ he’s not on top of his form today “ ... and the hardy perennial classic “ he’ll be disappointed with that “ . I’m sure there are loads more they come out with when someone is doing totally rubbish 

If you ever watch the film Slapshot there is a scene where the radio commentator is talking and criticising the team, and his co-com pointed to the ice where quite the opposite has happened. This happens a lot in F1, too busy with computer stats to watch the actual race.

On 10/2/2018 at 4:17 PM, JohnM said:

Except they haven't actually banned clapping (which isn't the impression given by lots of headlines).

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The UK contribution towards the wedding of one of Prince Andy’s spuds is now up to £2.5m, from an original £2m estimate, covering things from security to closing roads to extra street cleaning and so on. 

If it’s that important that she gets a showy wedding to match that of Harry then Andy should stick his hands in his own pockets and pay for it all, including the direct costs of the already overstretched police. 

Andy and his family are probably the biggest cause of a grudge against the modern monarchy setup with their persistent whining for more attention 

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

The UK contribution towards the wedding of one of Prince Andy’s spuds is now up to £2.5m, from an original £2m estimate, covering things from security to closing roads to extra street cleaning and so on. 

If it’s that important that she gets a showy wedding to match that of Harry then Andy should stick his hands in his own pockets and pay for it all, including the direct costs of the already overstretched police. 

Andy and his family are probably the biggest cause of a grudge against the modern monarchy setup with their persistent whining for more attention 

Funny they can always find money for stuff like this even though we’re akeays told how tight money is . This is why folk get wound up . They’re massively rich superior and privileged , fork out for your own wedding like everyone else far less wealthy has to . No one gives a rats anyway . We pay for them then have to add on extras - good gig if you can get it. Andrew has always been a sponger on the make 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

Waitrose, you should be ashamed.

There are Advent Calendars for sale in my local branch.

in OCTOBER.

My birthday is toward the end of September and it always coincides with Christmas goodies appearing in shops !

If they got their finger (or something else) out there's enough young royals around now to produce a sprog every single month of the year if they coordinate it properly.

Think of the effect that would have on politics, Newspapers, the economy to say nothing of my sanity, doubtful at the best of times, I'll just leave that thought out there????????

Welcome to my Nightmare

Edited by Clogiron
Addition

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used the online passport renewal service with their new rules on the photographs ? Jesus wept it took 9 different photo uploads last night before they finally accepted one. Too dark, too light, shadows behind, shadows on face, eyes not open wide enough, head not perfectly in centre of picture, not enough of upper torso in picture, wrong colour underpants (ok I made that one up). Each time it rejects one it directs you to a service where you go to Boots or wherever and get a digital photo taken and are given a code to enter on your application which uploads the photo, for which they charge you £6. Just another money making scam in the name of "national security".

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Has anyone used the online passport renewal service with their new rules on the photographs ? Jesus wept it took 9 different photo uploads last night before they finally accepted one. Too dark, too light, shadows behind, shadows on face, eyes not open wide enough, head not perfectly in centre of picture, not enough of upper torso in picture, wrong colour underpants (ok I made that one up). Each time it rejects one it directs you to a service where you go to Boots or wherever and get a digital photo taken and are given a code to enter on your application which uploads the photo, for which they charge you £6. Just another money making scam in the name of "national security".

Trying doing this from overseas. The boss has just done hers and it took a while.. on its way over pretty sharpish though.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

This morning on BBC news.  The presenter, Naga Munchety, coming to the end of the news bit said " And now over to the weather forecast.  Will it be cold enough to build a snowman ….. er snowoman …. I mean snow person"  Cut to the weather presenter who said "I think I'd stop digging that hole now."

Have we really come to the point where we have to be gender neutral, even about snowmen.

15 minutes ago, Jasper said:

This morning on BBC news.  The presenter, Naga Munchety, coming to the end of the news bit said " And now over to the weather forecast.  Will it be cold enough to build a snowman ….. er snowoman …. I mean snow person"  Cut to the weather presenter who said "I think I'd stop digging that hole now."

Have we really come to the point where we have to be gender neutral, even about snowmen.

Deary me . BBC breakfast and her especially is very much like that from what I’ve seen ... it’s cold outside , make sure you wrap up warm . When your having a bonfire look after your tortoise etc . You really need these people to think for you 

34 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Deary me . BBC breakfast and her especially is very much like that from what I’ve seen ... it’s cold outside , make sure you wrap up warm . When your having a bonfire look after your tortoise etc . You really need these people to think for you 

Indeed.

Do they not realise we have wives for that.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Don't people write the name of their tortoise on their shell anymore? Usually 'Fred' or similar.

Probably banned by the Health & Safety brigade I expect. Nampy Pamby Britain!

I don’t know , I’ve never had a tortoise . I’d call it Flash or Speedy or summat . It was the type of thing they came out with every bonfire night on blue peter . Look after your tortoise 

13 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Don't people write the name of their tortoise on their shell anymore? Usually 'Fred' or similar.

Probably banned by the Health & Safety brigade I expect. Nampy Pamby Britain!

My sister had a tortoise and it escaped and ran off . She found it in next doors garden a fortnight later .  Reminds me of the old joke where a tortoise was walking along the street and was brutally attacked by a gang of hedgehogs . The police came and asked it what happened and the stunned tortoise said ‘ I don’t know it all happened so fast ‘