Rant thread

36 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I still think the PSNI should have been renamed the Northern Ireland People's Police Law Enforcement Service

This would emphasise the cross community aspects of them being for all the people of NI and show they are about bringing comfort and succour to all.

In the cold light of day, I’m sure people would see good points in doing that.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

On 04/03/2019 at 21:55, hindle xiii said:

Lent.

Or more precisely Shrove Tuesday and Easter Sunday. Does anyone under 30 in the UK know what Lent is? I'm in no way religious but let's stuff our fat faces with sugar and on one day and in a few weeks shovel our faces full of chocolate. What? In between? Give up something? Sod off. Nah we only want the gluttony bit of the olden days festival wot we don't understand.

I at least respect those who participate in Ramadan who can manage daylight hours without.

My mum looked at me funny the other day when I said I'd given something up for Lent. My response was along the lines of whether she still gives presents at Christmas.

Like most people who are only culturally Christian I pick and choose the bits I like. I always liked the challenge of Lent so still give something up. This year it was chocolate but I failed without realising; I was out golfing and needed something for a snack half way round. They only had Mars bars and didn't realise until later that evening. 

The good thing about picking and choosing is that I don't have to go to confession, I just go 'ah well.' 

Now for my real rant.

I've just swapped the car from a Renault Captur to a Kadjar and most aspects of the car I like. Apart from the key.

Some probably overpaid genius has decided that people don't want keys that can go on a keyring. So instead we have a massive separate keycard that we have already accidentally left in the car once.

It always reminds me of a Dave Gorman bit where he talks about a child with a drawing and how if you leave them with a good drawing they've done they'll eventually ruin it by adding more on and colouring too much etc.

He compares this to certain products where they've been perfected but companies feel the need to keep trying to change it to the point they end up making it worse.

There is much about modern cars that I feel are like this. Other examples include the stop/start button and the removal of a proper handbrake to be replaced by a switch button. 

26 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

My mum looked at me funny the other day when I said I'd given something up for Lent. My response was along the lines of whether she still gives presents at Christmas.

Like most people who are only culturally Christian I pick and choose the bits I like. I always liked the challenge of Lent so still give something up. This year it was chocolate but I failed without realising; I was out golfing and needed something for a snack half way round. They only had Mars bars and didn't realise until later that evening. 

The good thing about picking and choosing is that I don't have to go to confession, I just go 'ah well.' 

The thing is, there are so many abstinence trends these days that a traditional version isn't as trendy. There are people in my office who are still recalling the horrors of Dry January and/or Veganuary at the moment.

In fact, Puritans would probably be heartened by the current fad for treating pleasure in things like food and drink as something to be avoided at all costs, or at least loaded with guilt by people who think kale is a suitable food for human beings.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The thing is, there are so many abstinence trends these days that a traditional version isn't as trendy. There are people in my office who are still recalling the horrors of Dry January and/or Veganuary at the moment.

In fact, Puritans would probably be heartened by the current fad for treating pleasure in things like food and drink as something to be avoided at all costs, or at least loaded with guilt by people who think kale is a suitable food for human beings.

My 10 year old daughter looked at me as if I had gone mad last week, when I served her Caballero Nero (or whatever it's called), she told me it was only for her rabbits, and by eating it we were denying her rabbits their food.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

My 10 year old daughter looked at me as if I had gone mad last week, when I served her Caballero Nero (or whatever it's called), she told me it was only for her rabbits, and by eating it we were denying her rabbits their food.

You got yourself a kid with a discerning palate there, Bleep.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go back to work tomorrow, so with the inlaws here, we booked a nice michelin lunch for 13:30 whilst they look after the newborn. 

Struggling with the wee man so called them at 12:30 to ask when is the latest we can arrive as we were running late. She said 14:00.

In a taxi and get a call at 13:55 asking where we were as the kitchen is now closed. 

Sigh

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

4 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Go back to work tomorrow, so with the inlaws here, we booked a nice michelin lunch for 13:30 whilst they look after the newborn. 

Struggling with the wee man so called them at 12:30 to ask when is the latest we can arrive as we were running late. She said 14:00.

In a taxi and get a call at 13:55 asking where we were as the kitchen is now closed. 

Sigh

Better luck next time.

Only time I have had a 3* Michelin dinner was at Marco-Pierre Whites La Mirabelle. Great food

These scaremongering reports that come out endlessly from ‘ experts ‘ that the news love lapping up to fill time in ... bacon causes cancer now ... this causes cancer that causes cancer ... don’t eat sugar , chocolate , processed meat , don’t drink this don’t drink that blah blah blah . If we all live in a hermetically sealed bubble sipping water and eating bits of bread we may have a long healthy life . Or not 

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

These scaremongering reports that come out endlessly from ‘ experts ‘ that the news love lapping up to fill time in ... bacon causes cancer now ... this causes cancer that causes cancer ... don’t eat sugar , chocolate , processed meat , don’t drink this don’t drink that blah blah blah . If we all live in a hermetically sealed bubble sipping water and eating bits of bread we may have a long healthy life . Or not 

Fortunately the Daily Mail has long been running a campaign of enlightement.

This handy list  identifies a selection of products that cause or prevent cancer, or in some cases both. 

Edited by Shadow

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

Fortunately the Daily Mail has long been running a campaign of enlightement.

This handy list  identifies a selection of products that cause or prevent cancer, or in some cases both. 

Says it all ! Although I gave up petrified on page 2 . Getting run over by a bus can be dangerous to 

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

These scaremongering reports that come out endlessly from ‘ experts ‘ that the news love lapping up to fill time in 

It's reporters not experts that are the problem.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I was in that five percent 

Pleased to hear that (I assume) you've made a recovery. One of the jobs I was most proud of doing was raising awareness of bowel cancer symptoms and getting more people to complete the screening kits.

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Pleased to hear that (I assume) you've made a recovery. One of the jobs I was most proud of doing was raising awareness of bowel cancer symptoms and getting more people to complete the screening kits.

Cheers yeh . Touch wood three years on . Meeting the best surgeon in the country who took some parts away , added some bits to make me work again and got a great team over 10 hours to complete the job , did the trick . The first time I met him he told me how advanced it was gave me 12 months . The first time after the operation and pathology tests he told me you’ve got a life back . It does sort of change your perspective on life 

• Like 7

I’m getting a haircut. The place I go to has a few car slots capable of two cars each on the road outside it. Every single one has one car parked so that no one else can get in there without the predatory traffic wardens ticketing for 2” over the double yellows. 

Thwaites, the lot of them. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just been to the dentist, and on the way back, standing at the bus stop outside Wetherspoons/Natwest, a woman walks past, says "OOH, that's nice" to her mate, and picks up £10 that someone had dropped at the cash machine, I could've done with that as my PIP isn't due until next Tuesday, and I'm -£6.35 at the bank.