Rant thread

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

Just for info from their accounts:

The RNLI is a charity registered in England and Wales (209603), Scotland (SC037736), the Republic of Ireland (20003326) and the Bailiwick of Jersey (14). The address of the registered office is West Quay Road, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1HZ.

The Irish charity and the British charity are one and the same.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

OOH, don't get me started on that American Mezzo-soprano soloist on Saturday. Please note very carefully what I write here. I am not homo-phobic. I have worked in the NHS for 30 years, and met some very fine LGBTQ staff, many of whom I have been very pleased to have a drink with after work, but please, do we have to have it forced down our throat? During her interview on BBC1 she declared almost in a shout how proud she was to be Queer (her words), then during Rule Britannia, she stood there waving a large rainbow flag around, as though the song was aimed at the LGBTQ community. It seems it is almost compulsory again that if you want to be on TV you have to be LGBTQ.

16 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

then during Rule Britannia, she stood there waving a large rainbow flag around,

I know.

It was tremendous.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Can you imagine if she had waved a European Union flag around? She wouldn't have got out of there alive.

Mate, the hall was filled with EU flags.

3 minutes ago, BryanC said:

It's the BBC.

Message ends.

I know.

It was tremendous.

I think my favourite bit is the obvious and clear cheer from the hall.

The RNLI in Ireland was off bounds to the IRA. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Just for info from their accounts:

The RNLI is a charity registered in England and Wales (209603), Scotland (SC037736), the Republic of Ireland (20003326) and the Bailiwick of Jersey (14). The address of the registered office is West Quay Road, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1HZ.

The Irish charity and the British charity are one and the same.

Yes. Wot I sed a number of posts ago. ?

Possibly something of the politics board but ... today's front page 'story' in the Sun and what they have done to get it is beyond appalling. There is no public interest and it will obviously cause great harm and hurt to people. It's about, very tangentially, Ben Stokes and they have, like true heroes, waited until after the last press conference of the ECB summer before running it.

Stokes's statement in response is remarkable for how measured and calm it is.

I'd be happy lead a pitchfork wielding mob to burn down everything and everyone associated with the rag. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Possibly something of the politics board but ... today's front page 'story' in the Sun and what they have done to get it is beyond appalling. There is no public interest and it will obviously cause great harm and hurt to people. It's about, very tangentially, Ben Stokes and they have, like true heroes, waited until after the last press conference of the ECB summer before running it.

I'd be happy lead a pitchfork wielding mob to burn down everything and everyone associated with the rag. 

I've got my pitchfork, just say when. 

What they have done is utterly disgusting. 

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

1 hour ago, Padge said:

I've got my pitchfork, just say when. 

What they have done is utterly disgusting. 

I'm in. I'll provide the flaming torches as well! 

• Like 2

My Dad was an amazing guy, he worked for Gardeners, of Patricroft for 30 years, doing night shifts, because it was more money for him and his family.

That wasn’t his reason for living though. He was a major partner in the North Yorkshire Cave Rescue team, based in Camden, his life was saved by a pair of Potholers named Ronald & David, after whom I am named. I went to Lizard Point, and at the lighthouse I found the generators were made by Gardeners, & I thought, could those have been made by my Dad? Yes. It is amazing. My Dad died 23.12.1994 & I still hate/dislike him for who he was. I want my daughter to be able to tell her grandchildren how wonderful I am/was, and relate stories of my Grandparents.

What am I talking about? Talk to your children, Grandkids, tell them about your ###### life, after 2 hours they will be bored, after 20 years they will be interested.

Yes indeed. Not a rant: My wife and I were both members of Bolton Speleo in the 1970s, when it was all carbide lamps and worn out miners lights. The lights that is, not the miners. Spent many a happy hour at the clubhouse, Upper Winskill, high above Settle. No sanitation, semi-derelict, highly insanitary.....but enough about me.. 

Sad to hear that one of the clubs key members Squirrel Woods, was found dead not long ago in the upper part of a Dale's pothole. Not accidental, it seems. He was troubled. 

Gardiners ran Barton Hall Band (Elgar Howarth and Oliver Howarth famous not just in brass circles) 

Edited by JohnM

At times I want to lock the cross-code forum and summarily ban anyone who wants to discuss anything to do with union, positive or negative.  Those times increase dramatically during union set-piece competitions.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

21 minutes ago, ckn said:

At times I want to lock the cross-code forum and summarily ban anyone who wants to discuss anything to do with union, positive or negative.  Those times increase dramatically during union set-piece competitions.

And it’s on six ( long ) weeks .... I hope you’ve lots of medication !!

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

And it’s on six ( long ) weeks .... I hope you’ve lots of medication !!

That nice Mr Drake doesn’t know I’m on holiday for two weeks in October ? 

• Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 hours ago, ckn said:

How's your BP?

I have only seen a few tries on news bulletins and about half of them are just one bunch of fat boys trying to bulldoze their way through another bunch of fat boys.

Exciting? I almost fell asleep.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

How's your BP?

I have only seen a few tries on news bulletins and about half of them are just one bunch of fat boys trying to bulldoze their way through another bunch of fat boys.

It's a bit like brexit, I read the posts for amusement but most of the time can't be a**ed to lift a finger to reply?

2 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

How's your BP?

I come on here for relaxation and find myself forgetting my prime rule: If they’re really annoying, use “ignore”. My very late New Year’s resolution is to be far more trigger happy on using “ignore”.

12 hours ago, Clogiron said:

It's a bit like brexit, I read the posts for amusement but most of the time can't be a**ed to lift a finger to reply?

That actually pretty much sums up a lot of my activity on here, especially when it comes to a couple of members (one in particular). When I first joined I tried to have a sophisticated debate with them but then you end up just getting loads of abuse. I won't actually stick them on my ignore list because it is funny to read their idiocy and I am gathering a lot of good material for when I write 'The Big Book of Brain Farts'! I cant help noticing that one member in particular that really is an annoyance is never actually seen on the rugby league parts of this forum, they are always just hanging round any other business and the cross code forums.

14 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

How's your BP?

That could be the dictionary definition of the sport.

• Haha 1