Rant thread

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That actually pretty much sums up a lot of my activity on here, especially when it comes to a couple of members (one in particular). When I first joined I tried to have a sophisticated debate with them but then you end up just getting loads of abuse. I won't actually stick them on my ignore list because it is funny to read their idiocy and I am gathering a lot of good material for when I write 'The Big Book of Brain Farts'! I cant help noticing that one member in particular that really is an annoyance is never actually seen on the rugby league parts of this forum, they are always just hanging round any other business and the cross code forums.

Agree with you, I use the forum as a RL fan, the other sections are a aside whereas for some their agenda is opposite. Maybe the rules applied to the cross-code forum should cover the entire forum?

2 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Agree with you, I use the forum as a RL fan, the other sections are a aside whereas for some their agenda is opposite. Maybe the rules applied to the cross-code forum should cover the entire forum?

Hasn't it become much more civilised here since the political rants and their followers were booted off into their own sub-forum? You can still sense the activity, like hearing the muffled thumpings and howlings from inside a padded cell, but it doesn't swamp the more general AOB content any more.

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 15/09/2019 at 20:49, JohnM said:

Lets try and avoix making this political topic eh.

RNLI's first station in Ireland was opened in 1826.  The RNLI is a registered charity in Ireland  the Republic of Ireland 20003326

The records appear to show the main income , over 10, 000, 000 €, comes from donations. A friend of ours worked in the RNLI shop at Youghal and reported on the generosity of the locals in funding the service through donations, fund raising events etc.. Can't see anything there that shows that the RNLI in GB sends money to Ireland. 

https://www.charitiesregulator.ie/en/information-for-the-public/search-the-charities-register/charity-detail?srchstr=20003326&regid=20003326

Agreed.

We have family history and contemporary involvement with the RNLI in Ireland, including service and fundraising. I can't recall it being a political issue...

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Hasn't it become much more civilised here since the political rants and their followers were booted off into their own sub-forum? You can still sense the activity, like hearing the muffled thumpings and howlings from inside a padded cell, but it doesn't swamp the more general AOB content any more.

It’s what we hoped for. Good to see sensible folk given time to breath on the forum proper.

And we get fewer trolls jump straight in at their first post...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Some website owners grumble about people like me who use NoScript to stop adverts and so on. I don't stop adverts, I stop the huge amount of things that website owners want to do on my computer, including selling my data to third parties.  Here's the number of individual scripts The Times wants to run on my machine:

image.png

That's simply not justifiable and I'll counter it by continuing to block any script running on my machine that I don't explicitly want.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 24/09/2019 at 21:09, tonyXIII said:

I have only seen a few tries on news bulletins and about half of them are just one bunch of fat boys trying to bulldoze their way through another bunch of fat boys.

Exciting? I almost fell asleep.

You can't be watching the same games as the BBC newsreaders, I swear, they are almost orgasmic as they describe the adonis like athletes that try to push the other adonis like athletes over a line. This morning on the Breakfast show, the presenter was so upbeat and positive as she talked about union games yet to be played that I knocked it off.  Bah humbug.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

I usually have Radio 4 on in the morning before leaving for work, and it has been pleasantly jarring to hear how often the RUWC being referred to as "the Rugby Union World Cup" instead of "the Rugby World Cup".

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tonight, I shal lull myself to sleep with happy thoughts about dropping large, heavy, pointy objects onto the heads of the people who "run" Thameslink.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wandering around the city centre of Mannheim this evening,  prior to tomorrow's visit to the Speyer technical museum. https://speyer.technik-museum.de/

The streets are filthy,  dimps everywhere, outside bars, myriad  take aways,  apartment blocks .  Mannheim hads an excellent pedegree as a city, having been destroyed and rebuilt three or four times.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannheim

This Germany.  FFS have some civic pride  you residents!!! ??????

Edited by JohnM
  • Sad 1

A quid a trolly in Manchester Airport. off

30 pence to pee in a train station. off

2 quid to drop off at Glasgow Airport. off

Why are there so many charges for things thst should be free. The place is a tip by the way!! 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

34 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Why are there so many charges for things thst should be free. The place is a tip by the way!! 

It’s what happens when investors demand ever increasing profits. They literally charge for taking the pee. 

• Like 1

On 25/09/2019 at 12:16, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That actually pretty much sums up a lot of my activity on here, especially when it comes to a couple of members (one in particular). When I first joined I tried to have a sophisticated debate with them but then you end up just getting loads of abuse. I won't actually stick them on my ignore list because it is funny to read their idiocy and I am gathering a lot of good material for when I write 'The Big Book of Brain Farts'! I cant help noticing that one member in particular that really is an annoyance is never actually seen on the rugby league parts of this forum, they are always just hanging round any other business and the cross code forums.

That's not true!

I posted on the RL forum only yesterday!

?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

19 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Quid a trolly, you get it back. 30p to pee? Pee on the train before you start drinking, £2 to drop off, get the bus or train you tight wad. Yorkshire trousers, deep pockets, short arms

Edited by Bleep1673

SO? you cant get the police to come investigate after you have been broken in to or are the victim of a crime, simply buy a house near a mcdonalds drive through or a greggs car park and tap on the  panda car window for a more personal service 

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

SO? you cant get the police to come investigate after you have been broken in to or are the victim of a crime, simply buy a house near a mcdonalds drive through or a greggs car park and tap on the  panda car window for a more personal service 

That makes me think of something a comedian said once, "if you get stabbed police won't ever find the person that did it but if you are caught on camera driving in a bus lane they're bloody swift at sending you a ticket so the solution? If you're gonna get stabbed get stabbed in a bus lane!" 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That makes me think of something a comedian said once, "if you get stabbed police won't ever find the person that did it but if you are caught on camera driving in a bus lane they're bloody swift at sending you a ticket so the solution? If you're gonna get stabbed get stabbed in a bus lane!" 

There is a 20m, 24 hour, bus lane in Uxbridge, where I used to live, and it basically turns the road into a car one way system, and the last figures I saw it was the 3rd highest bus lane income earner in England, for 20m of Bus Lane.

Edited by Bleep1673

9 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

There is a 20m, 24 hour, bus lane in Uxbridge, where I used to live, and it basically turns the road into a car one way system, and the last figures I saw it was the 3rd highest bus lane income earner in England, for 20m of Bus Lane.

Councils are clever when it comes to how they deploy bus lanes. If I remember rightly, there was someone here in Hull who kept getting fined and they couldn't understand why cos they insisted they never drove in bus lanes. Turned out what it was was that to get out of their driveway they had to drive across a bus lane. So they were on the thing for about a nanosecond which was unavoidable but council thought, we can make a few pennies here!

6 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

I'm trying to get my head around Aldi offering Bacon & Leek Sausages!................ it's Pork isn't it or am I missing something ?

Isn’t the difference that bacon is cured meats and often has a bit of char to it, maybe a different taste. Actually sounds quite interesting.

Also, there’s a difference between bacon and pork, the former is recognised cuts of meat, the latter can be “pig” and barely that as well at times.

• Like 1

Hall Road in Hull is a fairly busy road and forms part of the outer ring road. There is a section of it thats not on the ring road and this section separates two large council estates in North Hull, North Hull estate and Orchard Park estate. As you might well imagine, there's plenty of young tearaways that drive round the area as though it's a race track, even though just about all the roads off this part of Hall Road are either cul de sacs or go round in a loop leading nowhere. Every single one of these roads has speed bumps which is fair enough. There is one exception to this however, and that is Court Park Road that many drivers use as a rat run to avoid the busy Greenwood Ave/Hall Road roundabout. So, if this is the only rat run off Hall Road, why is it also the only road without speed bumps?

Perhaps someone at the Police Training Centre down Court Park Road could tell us.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

5 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Hall Road in Hull is a fairly busy road and forms part of the outer ring road. There is a section of it thats not on the ring road and this section separates two large council estates in North Hull, North Hull estate and Orchard Park estate. As you might well imagine, there's plenty of young tearaways that drive round the area as though it's a race track, even though just about all the roads off this part of Hall Road are either cul de sacs or go round in a loop leading nowhere. Every single one of these roads has speed bumps which is fair enough. There is one exception to this however, and that is Court Park Road that many drivers use as a rat run to avoid the busy Greenwood Ave/Hall Road roundabout. So, if this is the only rat run off Hall Road, why is it also the only road without speed bumps?

Perhaps someone at the Police Training Centre down Court Park Road could tell us.

Tearaways is bloody polite. Feral is a word that comes up a lot in conversations I have with people in our fair city. 

On 08/10/2019 at 09:52, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Councils are clever when it comes to how they deploy bus lanes. If I remember rightly, there was someone here in Hull who kept getting fined and they couldn't understand why cos they insisted they never drove in bus lanes. Turned out what it was was that to get out of their driveway they had to drive across a bus lane. So they were on the thing for about a nanosecond which was unavoidable but council thought, we can make a few pennies here!

You have roads up north?????