Rant thread

I saw the game Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to the PC in November. I was very interested!  Now, a usual very top-end game is £50.  This one is £70, and that includes a £10 pre-order discount.

They can go fornicate with themselves.  Especially when it's £30 for the PS4 and they have to pay the extra fee to actually use the hardware for consoles.

That can now wait until it's bargain basement price before I get it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I'm currently on my way home from London, last leg from Leeds to Hebden Bridge. The train I'm on has two carriages, both of which were full 15 minutes before the departure time. Unsurprisingly, people are now unable to board, despite 5 mins to go before we leave and it's both uncomfortably and I'd suggest dangerously overcrowded. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

I'm currently on my way home from London, last leg from Leeds to Hebden Bridge. The train I'm on has two carriages, both of which were full 15 minutes before the departure time. Unsurprisingly, people are now unable to board, despite 5 mins to go before we leave and it's both uncomfortably and I'd suggest dangerously overcrowded. ?

This is an awful situation to find oneself in and I feel sorry for you. Its puts me in mind of the four nations final at anfield. The Manchester to Liverpool leg of that train journey was utter hell. One of those standard 3 carriage trans-pennine trains and believe me when I say sardines in a tin have a lot of space compared to that train. I'm not sure but I probably had sex with someone just because everyone was so jammed together and it couldn't be avoided. The conductor actually apologised over the speaker and said the company were gonna investigate why more carriages had not been put on. If I remember rightly there was a man United home game the same day and probably a few other football games around that area at the same time which obviously accounted for a big part of the crush. Given how rubbish the game was, turned out that whole day was a bit of a joke. 

25 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

This is an awful situation to find oneself in and I feel sorry for you. Its puts me in mind of the four nations final at anfield. The Manchester to Liverpool leg of that train journey was utter hell. One of those standard 3 carriage trans-pennine trains and believe me when I say sardines in a tin have a lot of space compared to that train. I'm not sure but I probably had sex with someone just because everyone was so jammed together and it couldn't be avoided. The conductor actually apologised over the speaker and said the company were gonna investigate why more carriages had not been put on. If I remember rightly there was a man United home game the same day and probably a few other football games around that area at the same time which obviously accounted for a big part of the crush. Given how rubbish the game was, turned out that whole day was a bit of a joke. 

I understand it is fairly routine for Northern services in and out of Leeds. It certainly was 10 years ago when I stopped regularly using the train for my commute due to a job change, and my wife, who still travels by train daily advises things have only got worse over that time. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 18:38, JohnM said:

Ten thousand 'thank you's, JohnM!  I know I am just a grumpy old sod who gets more cantankerous by the day, but I cannot understand the current obsession with the 'pre' suffix, of which 'pre-order' is probably the commonest and possibly most absurd example.  I have also heard, and seen in writing, of a sportsman suffering from 'a pre-existing injury', which I can only imagine is one from which he was suffering before he was suffering from it. 

That said - and to be fair to ckn - he didn't begin his comment with "So.."!

• Like 1

Usually I drink coffee. Just occasionally fancy a cup of tea. We used to do carp coffee and great tea.

Now it’s easy to find decent coffee but the standard of tea has dropped off. The problem is that espresso fountains do not boil the water.

Water has to be 100c or it does not make proper tea.

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

9 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Usually I drink coffee. Just occasionally fancy a cup of tea. We used to do carp coffee and great tea.

Now it’s easy to find decent coffee but the standard of tea has dropped off. The problem is that espresso fountains do not boil the water.

Drink Vimto. 

• Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

6 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Water has to be 100 degrees C for teabags, to force flavour from what is close to being leaf-dust.

For loose-leaf tea, just like ground coffee, you need water that's just off boiling point. I click off the electric kettle and let it stand for about 20 seconds before pouring for coffee or loose-leaf tea. Different kettles will lose temperature at different rates, but that's a decent rule of thumb.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Imagine this scenario: train in England delayed by 15 minutes because some foreigners were:

- refusIng to stop acting up by not shifting their luggage from the driver’s door when asked politely and being told it was unsafe.
- refusing to get up from reserved seats, even after the conductor politely tells them in their language that they’re on the wrong train and offering to let them stay on without charge but in another part of the train, even though it was a premium train and they had cheap tickets
- telling the English folk they should be grateful for tourists in their country. 
- telling everyone around loudly them what a filthy, scummy train it was and they’d been treated like vermin
- letting their children run up and down and trying to get to the emergency stop handle then saying “they’re only children”

Can you imagine that without at least one foul mouthed “f***ing foreigners” and some nasty scenes, with probably the police getting called  

Well, that happened this morning in Italy on the train from Sorrento to Herculaneum. Three separate foul mouthed English groups, one group mid-late 50s, one mid-40s and the other a young family. 

An older Italian gentleman who’d booked his seat was explaining very politely in broken English that he needed his seat and a foul harridan with a midlands accent would not move. It took 10 minutes to shift her as she thought by being an excrement that someone else would move. She then subjected the train to outrageous commentary on the filthy state of Italy and the trains until she got off at Pompeii  

Then southern accented older folk piled their luggage in front of the driver’s door and refused to move it. One swore in an outrageous manner at the conductor when she offered to move them herself to the luggage racks to solve it. 

The family with kids were the very worst stereotype disinterested parents and bratty  3-4 year olds. I think they had a soft south London accent. 

Vile people who need their passports permanently revoked and a thorough embarrassment to our country. 

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Imagine this scenario: train in England delayed by 15 minutes because some foreigners were:

- refusIng to stop acting up by not shifting their luggage from the driver’s door when asked politely and being told it was unsafe.
- refusing to get up from reserved seats, even after the conductor politely tells them in their language that they’re on the wrong train and offering to let them stay on without charge but in another part of the train, even though it was a premium train and they had cheap tickets
- telling the English folk they should be grateful for tourists in their country. 
- telling everyone around loudly them what a filthy, scummy train it was and they’d been treated like vermin
- letting their children run up and down and trying to get to the emergency stop handle then saying “they’re only children”

Can you imagine that without at least one foul mouthed “f***ing foreigners” and some nasty scenes, with probably the police getting called  

Well, that happened this morning in Italy on the train from Sorrento to Herculaneum. Three separate foul mouthed English groups, one group mid-late 50s, one mid-40s and the other a young family. 

An older Italian gentleman who’d booked his seat was explaining very politely in broken English that he needed his seat and a foul harridan with a midlands accent would not move. It took 10 minutes to shift her as she thought by being an excrement that someone else would move. She then subjected the train to outrageous commentary on the filthy state of Italy and the trains until she got off at Pompeii  

Then southern accented older folk piled their luggage in front of the driver’s door and refused to move it. One swore in an outrageous manner at the conductor when she offered to move them herself to the luggage racks to solve it. 

The family with kids were the very worst stereotype disinterested parents and bratty  3-4 year olds. I think they had a soft south London accent. 

Vile people who need their passports permanently revoked and a thorough embarrassment to our country. 

I feel ashamed to be British when I see people from this country acting like that. Total and utter scumbags. 

• Like 6

On 22/10/2019 at 21:02, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I feel ashamed to be British when I see people from this country acting like that. Total and utter scumbags. 

It tends not to happen in Greece. (I'm sure it does happen, just not as often) It could be because Greece is a bit further away and doesn't attract the yobs.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

12 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

It tends not to happen in Greece. (I'm sure it does happen, just not as often) It could be because Greece is a bit further away and doesn't attract the yobs.

I'm sure it does, but only in resorts that cater for, and get, people who just want to get hammered and act like cretins (not Cretans). Is Faliraki still a sinkhole of debauched Club 18-30 style activities?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

I'm sure it does, but only in resorts that cater for, and get, people who just want to get hammered and act like cretins (not Cretans). Is Faliraki still a sinkhole of debauched Club 18-30 style activities?

You're probably right.

I don't know about Faliraki nowadays as I live in Crete and Faliraki is in Rhodes, but 20 years ago it was effectively a ghetto for young British drunkards. Here on Crete, the equivalent is Malia and, though I think it has calmed down somewhat, I would be very unhappy if my 20 year old daughter chose Malia as a holiday destination. (I don't have a 20 year old daughter, btw)

Incidentally, I think Club 18-30 has ceased trading. Thank God!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

44 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Incidentally, I think Club 18-30 has ceased trading. Thank God!

They closed down almost exactly a year ago. And they were part of Thomas Cook by the end, which makes the concept's demise even more secure.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The problem is that Sorrento is most definitely not one of those places and the people I complained about didn’t look like them. Not a single England shirt in sight. They were just thwaites, one and all. 

I was at a wedding in Patras. It was great. A very old local lady approached me with concern during the wedding. I seemed very nice, but she had seen the Englishmen on the islands, especially the wild Salford supporter on Crete. She was happy I was enjoying a beer, but asked me to promise I would not go crazy and drink all 330mL. 

• Haha 2

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014