Rant thread

32 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

When you make some food for someone and they season it before tasting it. 

I know what you mean, but there are some people who know, especially with salt, that they like it more seasoned than most people.

Mind you, not normally as much as one relative on my dad's side of the family, who used to sprinkle salt on tinned anchovies.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I know what you mean, but there are some people who know, especially with salt, that they like it more seasoned than most people.

Mind you, not normally as much as one relative on my dad's side of the family, who used to sprinkle salt on tinned anchovies.

Might best mates are good cooks.... but hardly season anything.

Its a routine now. They serve up and i know it lacks salt or pepper.....

It hits the table and I'm straight on the salt

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Might best mates are good cooks.... but hardly season anything.

Its a routine now. They serve up and i know it lacks salt or pepper.....

It hits the table and I'm straight on the salt

According to the "nutritionists", salt is the new Satan. Or is it sugar? They seem confused most of the time. Maybe some other white particles have clouded their tiny minds.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Just shoot on sight.... no pizzin about with .22 ammunition.....

Just go 45mm...... empty the clip..

So, here's the thing. I'm not sure if this is a rant or pedantry but....

.22in equates to 5.56mm, 45mm would be just under 2 inches and unlikely to come in a clip.

The calibre you are thinking of is probably .45 inches as in the Colt .45

I'll get my kevlar jacket

Edited by Shadow

7 minutes ago, Shadow said:

.22in equates to 5.56mm, 45mm would be just under 2 inches and unlikely to come in a clip.

Punt-Gun-A-Huge-Shotgun.jpg

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Shadow said:

For the infantry lot of the right age, 7.62mm fired from a SLR.

For us artillery folk, an M110 firing 8” (or 203mm in new fangled speak) rounds is considered the biggest bang for the buck from old style conventional artillery. Obviously, you want to be slightly further away than when firing an SLR...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

For us artillery folk, an M110 firing 8” (or 203mm in new fangled speak) rounds is considered the biggest bang for the buck from old style conventional artillery. Obviously, you want to be slightly further away than when firing an SLR...

L1A1-SLR.jpg

Infantry

Image result for m110 artillery

Artillery

Image result for lollipop lady

RAF Regiment

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Shadow said:

L1A1-SLR.jpg

Infantry

Image result for m110 artillery

Artillery

Image result for lollipop lady

RAF Regiment

That’s had me chuckling away for a bit now, my wife’s told me to stop sniggering like Muttley...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

41 minutes ago, Shadow said:

It's pedantry 

On 24/02/2020 at 23:38, Bleep1673 said:

Got accepted for a credit card today, at 44.9% APR, I turned it down, I would rather do without. (No, I cannot get a cheaper deal due to my double figure Experian credit rating.)

I’m not getting the point you’re making. A credit card paid off in full every month has an effective APR of 0%.

If you’re saying you can’t trust yourself with debt, then that’s a very adult and perfectly reasonable state. Well done.

If you’re saying you want a cheaper APR to use as debt, then can you afford that debt in the first place?

A credit card that you NEVER use except once a month to buy a coffee then pay off immediately will help your credit rating within a few short months, even if it’s just £250 credit on it.

• Like 3

Just now, Shadow said:

That NAAFI won't guard itself you know

Shinier boots than the Guards, don’t you know?

31 minutes ago, ckn said:

First time on the range with SLR in the prone position '' In your own time ..fire ''  spotter in trench below targets indicates I have missed target altogether , second shot similar , GI spots this...'' Are you right handed M***  ?'' , ''Yes Sir ''  '' Then you must be left eyed , change hands ''   first shot just outside bull , second one bullseye. After shoot we stood up and went about removing mag and checking there was nothing up the spout GI told me to try the rifle from the shoulder and it naturally went up to the left.

2 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

First time on the range with SLR in the prone position '' In your own time ..fire ''  spotter in trench below targets indicates I have missed target altogether , second shot similar , GI spots this...'' Are you right handed M***  ?'' , ''Yes Sir ''  '' Then you must be left eyed , change hands ''   first shot just outside bull , second one bullseye. After shoot we stood up and went about removing mag and checking there was nothing up the spout GI told me to try the rifle from the shoulder and it naturally went up to the left.

Good sprog fun is set SLR to gas 0. ? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Strictly speaking 

Only Artillery pieces are Guns. 

I now have "this is my rifle, this is my gun" rattling through my head...

• Like 1

What a day I have had. 

I went to the doctors to pick up my prescription. I pick it up and find that one pill is missing off it so go back in and ask the receptionist if there is another. She says there isn't. I explain the situation that I need those pills and she is basically incredible rude and unhelpful so I have to go to the drop in surgery tomorrow, play hell with the doctor and find out why I haven't been given that medication. I can assure you I am supposed to still be taking it, for some reason some idiot has taken it off my repeat prescription even though the one I took in the other day had it on it, they've just issued me a completely different one which is a hell of a mistake. 

Then I went to the wood merchants to buy some bits to build a breakfast bar. I get a 5ft bit of surface no problem but they won't cut me down a piece of splashback so I have to pay double what I thought I was gonna be and buy a 10ft long bit to cut down myself at home and for some reason they only sell 2ft wide splashback even though I only wanted 6 inches so I can't carry that home and have had to pay £15 for delivery, another cost I wasnt expecting. 

The storms recently had ripped a 6ft high gate off in my garden so I get home with a new plank to replace the broken one and get that stained no problem. I go and get my drill out to find the charger has conked out. So off I go again to the DIY shop to buy a new drill, another £65. I have now managed to get the gate back on but it took some bloody doing and I'm basically dead now. 

So stressed! Thank God there's some rugby league on tonight! 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What a day I have had. 

I went to the doctors to pick up my prescription. I pick it up and find that one pill is missing off it so go back in and ask the receptionist if there is another. She says there isn't. I explain the situation that I need those pills and she is basically incredible rude and unhelpful so I have to go to the drop in surgery tomorrow, play hell with the doctor and find out why I haven't been given that medication. I can assure you I am supposed to still be taking it, for some reason some idiot has taken it off my repeat prescription even though the one I took in the other day had it on it, they've just issued me a completely different one which is a hell of a mistake. 

Then I went to the wood merchants to buy some bits to build a breakfast bar. I get a 5ft bit of surface no problem but they won't cut me down a piece of splashback so I have to pay double what I thought I was gonna be and buy a 10ft long bit to cut down myself at home and for some reason they only sell 2ft wide splashback even though I only wanted 6 inches so I can't carry that home and have had to pay £15 for delivery, another cost I wasnt expecting. 

The storms recently had ripped a 6ft high gate off in my garden so I get home with a new plank to replace the broken one and get that stained no problem. I go and get my drill out to find the charger has conked out. So off I go again to the DIY shop to buy a new drill, another £65. I have now managed to get the gate back on but it took some bloody doing and I'm basically dead now. 

So stressed! Thank God there's some rugby league on tonight! 

Thank God there's some rugby league on tonight! 

That won't help one bit.  It's Hull KR isn't it?