Rant thread

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

But you can’t just say yes that one .... because it doesn’t stop . There’s loads and loads of tv shows and movies you can go through and say we’ll disown them . We can agree on the need for honest debate and structural change ... but is this the answer ? I don’t think so , and you don’t know where that path ends 

The BBC as a commercial body can just decide that though. 

I've seen various public figures pressured on social media to condemn other public figures. A recent one was various food writers being asked to call out Giles Coren* as a racist. If they demur, then the pressure just increases on them. This sort of thing encourages people with a certain mindset, who see hounding famous people (whether deserved or not) as their calling.

*who does, admittedly, come across as a pretty dreadful human being.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It is interesting that actions become knee-jerk rather than considered and well discussed. Then again that won't make it stand out anywhere in the UK.

The statues in question are fascinating ones where a benefactor to a town or university has been recognised but they will also contain where that ability has been funded by their dark behaviour. Saying do this along the right lines is a non-starter because when people did this they were sidelined, ignored and patronised. Is a history something we should be proud of? And should our monuments speak about what we're proud of and demonstrate our moral and social attitudes?

If you think that such statues are perfectly okay for whatever reason would you be as happy with a statue for Jommy Saville for all his charity work or a Monument to Rolf Harris for all his work for the Arts?

And what about statues of Hitler and swastikas being on show in Germany and Austria after all it was a significant moment in, and he was a very tangible part of, their history?

Of course I'm exagerating some of this but not a great deal in slaver's part in our story and it's also a complete lie to say it was a different time and that's how people thought then. There is plenty of evidence to show that not everyone felt it was all okay and not all of them were quiet about it at the time.

Where will it all end ?

At the point where our streets are not full of statues for people who kept their christianity and humanity in the bank. These are simple moral and human questions and have little to do with anything else.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, ckn said:

Do we pull every film ever where a white person was made up as a non-white person? None would be acceptable now, but were at the time.

For example, Breakfast at Tiffany's with Mickey Rooney playing an asian man in a frankly insulting and outrageous way that would never get broadcast in a modern film.

I genuinely don't know the answer to this. We'd have a lot of content cut if we went down that line, but then is it still acceptable to be there now we know better?

I'm confused...

My preference would be to alter the age rating on such shows. There’s plenty of warnings about sex, violence etc maybe this would be the “grown up” thing to do

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Sorry, my mistake HBO

I was looking for some music from the forties and there was Al Jolson with whole army of blacked up singers like it wasn't enough one fool doing it.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

People should just get used to the fact that you can`t re-write history , you can only learn from your mistakes and move on .

You absolutely can rewrite history. History is no more than an interpretation of sources, and the accuracy of that interpretation is entirely based on the sources at the time. That interpretation is constantly evolving and never set in stone - a good historian knows that.

• Like 1

Well we have predicted the future again.......UKTV has now pulled the Fawlty Towers episode The Germans because of "racial slurs" and because of The Majors highly offensive language about the West Indies cricket team .Yet again missing the point as Basil comes over as the bigot where as the Germans are well behaved and polite , likewise the Major is just cast as a muddled headed old gentleman with old fashioned out of date values..........Thankfully for once the person who wrote and acted the episode John Cleese didn`t apologise but described the move as stupid .

4 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Well we have predicted the future again.......UKTV has now pulled the Fawlty Towers episode The Germans because of "racial slurs" and because of The Majors highly offensive language about the West Indies cricket team .Yet again missing the point as Basil comes over as the bigot where as the Germans are well behaved and polite , likewise the Major is just cast as a muddled headed old gentleman with old fashioned out of date values..........Thankfully for once the person who wrote and acted the episode John Cleese didn`t apologise but described the move as stupid .

They don't understand satire and subtlety. 

I read one of them mentioning rising damp which of course was poking fun at ignorance - Philip always came out on top. 

23 minutes ago, Niels said:

They don't understand satire and subtlety. 

I read one of them mentioning rising damp which of course was poking fun at ignorance - Philip always came out on top. 

There was a great programme about making Rising Damp the other week, Don Warrington helped present it, explaining how it came about, and the fun he had making it, if he wasn't worried about stereotyping why should anyone else?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ivans82 said:

People should just get used to the fact that you can`t re-write history , you can only learn from your mistakes and move on .

Indeed. Whether a statue or a TV program is there tomorrow is not history. 

32 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

There was a great programme about making Rising Damp the other week, Don Warrington helped present it, explaining how it came about, and the fun he had making it, if he wasn't worried about stereotyping why should anyone else?

I saw that , Don Warrington was excellent and it set up his career ( including a cushy decade in the Caribbean with a few lines a week ! ) . I also saw one on Porridge with Tony Osoba ( Sonny Jock McLaren ) , who said he was the first Scottish black actor on telly and how it encouraged others from his background , and what a joy it was that has never dated , and he still watches and  is proud of 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Regarding 'Fawlty Towers' someone on Twitter posted this, so it might be worth finding out if it is true or not.

@gdimelow
11h
For the last ####### time:
1) It’s not because of the war
2) It’s about repeated use of the N word
3) BBC edited the offending scene in 2013
4) Cleese fully approved of it
5) Netflix & UKTV were airing unedited version 
6) Edited version will likely be used in future

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Regarding 'Fawlty Towers' someone on Twitter posted this, so it might be worth finding out if it is true or not.

@gdimelow
11h
For the last ####### time:
1) It’s not because of the war
2) It’s about repeated use of the N word
3) BBC edited the offending scene in 2013
4) Cleese fully approved of it
5) Netflix & UKTV were airing unedited version 
6) Edited version will likely be used in future

Yes, that is the reason. UKTV have confirmed it'll probably take a couple of days to work a new warning up front and then it'll be back. 

It's the way you tell 'em. From 2013.

A BBC spokesman said: ‘We are very proud of Fawlty Towers and its contribution to British television comedy.. But public attitudes have changed significantly since it was made and it was decided to make some minor changes, with the consent of John Cleese’s management, to allow the episode to transmit to a family audience at 7.30pm on BBC2.’

Link kindly provided by the BBC

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2266738/Censorship-row-BBC-cuts-racist-lines-classic-Fawlty-Towers-episode.html

OK, I am looking to buy a scooter, to give me more options with regards to travel & work, and I saw a very nice 292cc scooter for sale in S. Manchester for £3,500 (delivery £99), but when I went to check out the insurance it was over £9,500. Three times, nearly, the cost of the bike. I do not have a bike license as yet, is this what has pushed the insurance so high? When I was looking at 125cc bikes the Insurance (or as Terry Prtchett puts it, Inn-Sewer-Ants) was affordable, maybe I should stick to 125cc until I pass my test.

24 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

OK, I am looking to buy a scooter, to give me more options with regards to travel & work, and I saw a very nice 292cc scooter for sale in S. Manchester for £3,500 (delivery £99), but when I went to check out the insurance it was over £9,500. Three times, nearly, the cost of the bike. I do not have a bike license as yet, is this what has pushed the insurance so high? When I was looking at 125cc bikes the Insurance (or as Terry Prtchett puts it, Inn-Sewer-Ants) was affordable, maybe I should stick to 125cc until I pass my test.

An electric bicycle as an alternative option, maybe? It'll still add some miles to your range.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Possibly

Also, no insurance (other than as a possession) and no tests to pass.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

I've been sat quiet in the living room, just browsing the web all morning. Another member of the household comes in and turns the TV on, turns the volume right up and starts flicking through the channels and putting on some garbage that they aren't even interested in watching.

Why do people think that the TV absolutely has to be on all the time? This often happens in my house. TV is turned on then this is said, "there's nowt on, I'll just stick this on". Random show they aren't interested in goes on. I say, "why don't you just turn it off then?", followed by, "what else am I supposed to do?" how about not disturb me when I'm just relaxing and enjoying the silence?! How about go away?! At least ask if it's okay to turn the TV on! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1