Rant thread

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

If you need help carrying the coffin into court your friends on here will be happy to help! 😁

I think I can carry her ashes. If they are around, she did pass away 2 years ago. Hastings Crem might help!

Do I have a valid point here?

I'm team science. But I get frustrated with nature documentaries like Attenborough's. Things like this are built on murder. There was an outcry over companies benefiting from slavery, but there's little pointed at Darwin on the Beagle in the Galapagos, etc. The Natural History Museum and many other places are full of millions and millions of specimens of animals who were captured or killed, just so scientists and biologists can find out more. Maybe I don't see the big picture but I believe things should have just been left alone. Science might yet save the broken planet but I think it certainly has made its own dirty mark.

7 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I'm team science. But I get frustrated with nature documentaries like Attenborough's. Things like this are built on murder. There was an outcry over companies benefiting from slavery, but there's little pointed at Darwin on the Beagle in the Galapagos, etc. The Natural History Museum and many other places are full of millions and millions of specimens of animals who were captured or killed, just so scientists and biologists can find out more. Maybe I don't see the big picture but I believe things should have just been left alone. Science might yet save the broken planet but I think it certainly has made its own dirty mark.

The number of specimens killed for science is likely dwarfed by the number of animals killed for food (turtles, in the Galapagos case, or Dodos on Mauritius), or outcompeted by accidentally/ignorantly-introduced foreign species (rats, rabbits, etc.).

More like predation and/or accidental manslaughter than murder.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I would say the benefits of the knowledge we have accumulated in the name of science far outweighs the number of creatures that have died for it. We have at least gained something from this. Personally, my anger would be directed at those people who kill animals for sport and enjoyment, those who kill simply to collect species and display them and especially those that kill for profit, I am of course talking of poachers here.

I get massively upset at animal cruelty where an animal is kept alive because then it has to suffer. At least an animal that is killed does not have to suffer, although this still isn't an excuse for killing it simply for pleasure or financial gain.

Going slightly off topic, this is why the thing that upsets me the most in the world is any kind of sustained abuse, mental, physical or sexual because the person that has endured it has to live with it whereas at least someone that is murdered does not have to suffer. Again, doesn't make murder any less horrible. And this leads to why I will never support a death penalty because the person put to death does not have to experience any kind of punishment if you get my meaning, because they will not be aware of the fact they are dead, yet spending the rest of their life in solitary confinement or something would be a much stronger, sustained punishment that they have to endure. Anyway, that's a debate for another time. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I would say the benefits of the knowledge we have accumulated in the name of science far outweighs the number of creatures that have died for it. We have at least gained something from this. Personally, my anger would be directed at those people who kill animals for sport and enjoyment, those who kill simply to collect species and display them and especially those that kill for profit, I am of course talking of poachers here.

I get massively upset at animal cruelty where an animal is kept alive because then it has to suffer. At least an animal that is killed does not have to suffer, although this still isn't an excuse for killing it simply for pleasure or financial gain.

Going slightly off topic, this is why the thing that upsets me the most in the world is any kind of sustained abuse, mental, physical or sexual because the person that has endured it has to live with it whereas at least someone that is murdered does not have to suffer. Again, doesn't make murder any less horrible. And this leads to why I will never support a death penalty because the person put to death does not have to experience any kind of punishment if you get my meaning, because they will not be aware of the fact they are dead, yet spending the rest of their life in solitary confinement or something would be a much stronger, sustained punishment that they have to endure. Anyway, that's a debate for another time. 

7 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I don't doubt any of that. Yes I was asking a narrow question, but I wasn't discounting or ignoring the points you made.

Maybe it's because I have a bit of an idea of the life cycle of a butterfly, for example, I can then question why I needed to know. Then the lepidopterists' need not exist.

I'd be quite happy in my cave!

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Edit is the three dots top right. 

Still getting used to that myself.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

after painting again all day i must say- the bloke who invented the staircase spindle should have one inserted right up...................................................................................................

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

To whom it may concern.  

The CORRECT pronunciation is  not GLAYCIERS. 

The CORRECT pronunciation is GLASS-IERS

👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹

The correct pronunciatin of Glass is Glahss with a long "a" sound

The correct pronunciation of Glaciers is like Glad with a short "a" sound

23 minutes ago, Shadow said:

The correct pronunciatin of Glass is Glahss with a long "a" sound

The correct pronunciation of Glaciers is like Glad with a short "a" sound

You are half right.   It is GLASS, not GLARSE. Just like it is PLANT not PLARNT and MASTER not MARSTER!  😀 😀 😀 😀 😀    

33 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You are half right.   It is GLASS, not GLARSE. Just like it is PLANT not PLARNT and MASTER not MARSTER!  😀 😀 😀 😀 😀    

We've been through this.

It's, Glass, Water and Glad pronounced Glahsse, Wawter and Glad. All different pronunciations of the same letter, tricky but not impossible. 

And another thing

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Edited by Shadow

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

We've been through this.

It's, Glass, Water and Glad pronounced Glahsse, Wawter and Glad. All different pronunciations of the same letter, tricky but not impossible. 

And another thing

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Hmmm!

You really should have thumped Farage (pronounced Farridge) when you had the chance. His influence on you has been toxic.

Edit to add a smiley. 😆

Edited by tonyXIII

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

5 hours ago, Shadow said:

We've been through this.

And another thing

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Well, we had cheese barms for dinner. Not sure what we're having for tea, though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shadow said:

We've been through this.

And another thing

Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

Breakfast , dinner , tea , supper . 🙃

36 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Breakfast , dinner , tea , supper . 🙃

training-like-a-hobbit-L-tf0yh7.jpeg

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson