Rant thread

Morning coffee, mid-morning snack (not always), afternoon coffee, main meal in the evening.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Breakfast, Lunch, Tea

You must have gone to a posh school if you had Lunch Ladies instead of Dinner Ladies.  Did they wear taffeta gowns and sing in a merry voice whilst dishing up wild venison with red wine jus!

just realised, can you still call them Dinner Ladies nowadays or are they Dinner Servers or Dinner Dish-it-uppers or Dinner Slop-it-on-a-platers or has the UK Government just fired all of them to please the Political Correct loonies?

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

You must have gone to a posh school if you had Lunch Ladies instead of Dinner Ladies.  Did they wear taffeta gowns and sing in a merry voice whilst dishing up wild venison with red wine jus!

just realised, can you still call them Dinner Ladies nowadays or are they Dinner Servers or Dinner Dish-it-uppers or Dinner Slop-it-on-a-platers or has the UK Government just fired all of them to please the Political Correct loonies?

They let any old riff raff post on this forum I see! 😉

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

We had waiting staff 😉

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Had, not have. What's  gone wrong? 😀

The reference was to my school days, these days we are reduced to only the two downstairs servants, and cook of course.

#hardtimes #suchpoverty

• Haha 1

My (Repeat) rant of the week..

As you may (or not) know, I have been served with a Section 21 Eviction Notice by my current Landlord, I have done nothing wrong, and my Rent is still up to date, I have a promise to pay my First months rent and deposit from the council, I have a promise of 6 months rent in advance from a friend if needs be, I have a clean CCJ record, my current letting agent has promised me a reference, and my eviction notice expires on May 3rd. 

However, due to the shortage of housing stock in the TN37 area that I can afford (up to £625), and the fact that the Letting agents are reluctant to deal with Universal Credit/ Housing Benefit, I am being forced to lie to them. I saw a property yesterday via Open Rent, and when the Landlady asked me for proof of income, she threw me out saying she has had ONE bad experience with a UC tenant, and won't rent again to anyone claiming benefits.

The High Court in London has ruled that Letting Agents cannot discriminate against UC's, so they have upped their minimum income up to £17k. 

The local council are reluctant to intervene until I am actually, physically, homeless.

I know I have whinged about this before, but I am getting desperate.

It's that time of year again, who wants to hear my rant about Pancake Day, boys and girls?!

Anyone?

Alright ok, I'll be brief. I'm not religious but it annoys me how parents and children go for the gluttony of Pancake Day yet don't even know about Ash Wednesday or Lent. "It's a bit of fun" people say, like this country needs an excuse for excess eating without the point of actually then giving something up. And don't give me arguments over Christmas, that doesn't work. At least those who observe Ramadan do the hard bit of fasting.

• 2 weeks later...

Where to start and how many rants in one post? That is the question.

1. Golden Globs and other award ceremonies.  Jeez, is there no escape from this tripe. I get that some stars are really good - Alec Guinness is a prim example for me. The rest of them are just playing themselves.  I get that, just as I get the enjoyment that we can (all?) get from their work.  But PLEEEZE, can we have an end to the sight of these people masturbating en masse in public because they've been awarded  a gold-plated plastic statue? 

2. Trout-pouting. How bizarre, and stupid do these people look? 

3. The Crown. Shirley, no one really watches this stuff do they. Please tell me that no one on here watches it. 

4. The endless saturation coverage of working-from-home.  What about the 60% or more of the workforce who can't do that? 

😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Where to start and how many rants in one post? That is the question.

1. Golden Globs and other award ceremonies.  Jeez, is there no escape from this tripe. I get that some stars are really good - Alec Guinness is a prim example for me. The rest of them are just playing themselves.  I get that, just as I get the enjoyment that we can (all?) get from their work.  But PLEEEZE, can we have an end to the sight of these people masturbating en masse in public because they've been awarded  a gold-plated plastic statue? 

2. Trout-pouting. How bizarre, and stupid do these people look? 

3. The Crown. Shirley, no one really watches this stuff do they. Please tell me that no one on here watches it. 

4. The endless saturation coverage of working-from-home.  What about the 60% or more of the workforce who can't do that? 

😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 😡 

So much anger, haha!  It leads to the dark side don’t you know, John...

The real troublemakers are anger, jealousy, impatience, and hatred. With them, problems cannot be solved. Though we may have temporary success, ultimately our hatred or anger will create further difficulties. Anger makes for swift solutions. Yet, when we face problems with compassion, sincerity, and good motivation, our solutions may take longer, but ultimately they are better.

Dalai Lama

😉

• Like 1

Sodding element has gone on my cooker! I've got another ordered, paid for next day delivery even though it isn't guaranteed over the weekend so could be Monday before it's here!! Never changed one before but watched some videos on YouTube and looks easy enough but that was certainly £30 I didn't want to be spending in these economically challenging times!!! 😠😠😠😠😠😠

26 minutes ago, JohnM said:

In that first example the author is saying that the average child's first attempt should be the correct pronunciation of vice versa. The language would be in an horrific state if that was a rule.

And, as any pedant will tell you, there is no soft "C" if you are speaking Latin. So the first word should correctly be pronounced "vee-kay", or "vee-chay" if you go for a more modern Italian version. Which would be much more annoying.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

So the Metropolitan Police are going to go under cover, plain clothes, to make women feel safer.

Or are they going undercover to hunt?

As the alleged murder was a Met Police Officer, how is that going to make any woman feel safe? As was reflected in their heavy handed, handling of the vigil at the week end, their grip of reality is less than zero. One of there own is alleged to have murdered a woman, and they wouldn't let people hold a vigil. If it was a copper who had died, they would allow a 14 meter deep vigil. 

This is a bit more ranty than the Fitness Thread. 

There's not much context but I believe Calories In vs Calories Out should be removed from the national psyche. It's over-simplified and archaic.

To win at rugby or football, score more points or goals than you concede... except these sports have much more detail and process and money and everything beyond score more than the opposition. Same with individuals. I'm not passing the buck, the majority of responsibility should lie with the individual or family, but these things aren't a level playing field.

Whinge number 2, while watching television today I have seen adverts for Cirio tomato products (tinned, passata, etc.), Bird's Eye steam fresh vegetables and in the past adverts for Pink Lady apples and Happy Egg Company. There are no other adverts that I can think of immediately that are whole food products, which is arguably the best way to eat. A diet of plenty of fresh vegetables and lean protein, etc. that everyone knows is healthy. Yet those aren't promoted.

The "Eat less, Move more" message is the equivalent of "Man Up" in my opinion, out-dated and misses the point.

Anyway, I had my rant, I'm happy to discuss this opinion with anyone who may want to.

Edit: and not to convert anyone or argue ferociously with anyone but because I've become interested in nutrition and dietetics even more during lockdown.

If it were so easy as CICO there wouldn't be an obesity problem.

Edited by hindle xiii

https://play.acast.com/s/the-doctors-kitchen-podcast/-94weightseries-part1of2-.whyweeattoomuchwithdrandrewjenkinson

Here's a link to a well known podcast I listen to, The Doctor's Kitchen. This episode is about obesity that came out today.

I haven't listened to it yet so anyone interested can make their own mind up. It's 1h 13m long.